Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RPi Configuration Troubleshooting. (namely IP Address)  (Read 2473 times)

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
RPi Configuration Troubleshooting. (namely IP Address)
« on: January 26, 2019, 06:53:58 PM »

So. I made the plunge today based on some readings and answers given by the group here.

I followed the directions given to install the X10 Hub in a RPi Model 3.

Couple of things.

How do I check the time to see if it is correct. When I log into the Pi via SSH it shows the time is off by one hour. I checked the localisation in the raspi-config and it seems correct. Did I miss something?

Also, I don't wanna use WiFi. I want to use the ethernet. And I want a static IP. I googled, followed the directions but I cannot seem to get it to change, it keeps coming back to the DHCP assigned by my server. Is this something that can be changed?

I also noticed that the security module no longer works. I have a script that runs when a keypad button is pressed that arms the SC1200 as well as the software. I cannot seem to get that to work any more either. The SC1200 arms, but the software module doesn't do anything. And I cannot press it when I go to the browser. Curious.

Thanks for the help. There are a few other things that I need to fix/reconfigure, but all in all for the first day and the install. I'd say pretty easy. Actually, way easier than I expected.

#:)

Thanks for the help.

LostDog88

Re: RPi Configuration Troubleshooting. (namely IP Address)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »

So. Two of these problems have been resolved after much research and a late night! LOL

The time issue it seems (and makes sense) is not controlled by a RTC on the Main Board, but by the internet when booting up. Even though my times show off when I log into the RPi with SSH, my timers are working at the correct time. Weird. But whatever, it works and I don't care how, just that it does.
The second issue of the Security module not working was weird. I recompiled after the HG update and it started working again. However, a new bug maybe, is that when i upgraded all my macros are gone and did not restore with the backup. Weird. I can recreate them so no big deal.
The last is the IP. I would love to use Ethernet and a static IP if anyone can help with that. Thanks.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 06:23:07 PM »

So. Two of these problems have been resolved after much research and a late night! LOL

The time issue it seems (and makes sense) is not controlled by a RTC on the Main Board, but by the internet when booting up. Even though my times show off when I log into the RPi with SSH, my timers are working at the correct time. Weird. But whatever, it works and I don't care how, just that it does.
The second issue of the Security module not working was weird. I recompiled after the HG update and it started working again. However, a new bug maybe, is that when i upgraded all my macros are gone and did not restore with the backup. Weird. I can recreate them so no big deal.
The last is the IP. I would love to use Ethernet and a static IP if anyone can help with that. Thanks.

Unless you have some weird config file on your system this is the defacto way of setting up a static ip on the RPI https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/networking-lessons/rpi-static-ip-address/

What did you have to recompile after the HG update.

You're given the option of restoring all your own programs during restore. Did you select Yes to All when the pop up box appears.

LostDog88

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »

I followed those config at that site several times, it never changes. It shows DHCP @ .15.61 and it should be .15.30

I have checked and looked and no joy. I can see it in the ARP table as DHCP and being assigned the next in my pool.

As for the compile thing. I went to Programs list/Security and then clicked the Program Code tab. From there I clicked the compile button and did the same on the startup code tab. All tested well after that. I will have to recreate my macros for my pads to arm both the SC1200 and the Software, but no big deal.

And yes. I did click all my modules. They came back with the timed events. Just not the macros. :-(

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »

I followed those config at that site several times, it never changes. It shows DHCP @ .15.61 and it should be .15.30

I have checked and looked and no joy. I can see it in the ARP table as DHCP and being assigned the next in my pool.

As for the compile thing. I went to Programs list/Security and then clicked the Program Code tab. From there I clicked the compile button and did the same on the startup code tab. All tested well after that. I will have to recreate my macros for my pads to arm both the SC1200 and the Software, but no big deal.

And yes. I did click all my modules. They came back with the timed events. Just not the macros. :-(

Report that in the GitHub. Sounds like a bug.

Have you disabled wifi from sudo raspi-config. If not do so. Setup your static ip address and then reboot. Your Pi can then only connect via Ethernet. Your wifi settings may be overwriting your Ethernet settings. Also you could do a sudo update/upgrade if that doesn't work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:54:52 AM »

Setting up a static  IP is problematic and it is no longer recomended instead go into your router and do an IP reservation for the Pi.
I use to have a static Ip and port forwarded to it however ocassionaly my new smartphone would get the pi IP if the router restarted. Doing a reservation tells the router only to give that Ip to the specified mac address.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »

Setting up a static IP is problematic and it is no longer recommended instead go into your router and do an IP reservation for the Pi.

Agreed! I have 2 PCs. 4 RPis and the router handles it perfectly. Besides you only have to do it once in case you blow out one of the Pi units and have to start from scratch.

LostDog88

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:37:54 PM »

Setting up a static  IP is problematic and it is no longer recomended instead go into your router and do an IP reservation for the Pi.
I use to have a static Ip and port forwarded to it however ocassionaly my new smartphone would get the pi IP if the router restarted. Doing a reservation tells the router only to give that Ip to the specified mac address.

Not entirely sure why I didn't think of this. Yah. Thanks. Sometimes my age shows. LOL. That problem is solved except that it is still on WiFi. I can deal with that later.

And for the other about report it on github?  I am guessing https://github.com/ is the wrong site. Sorry. I don't know what that is.

And another interesting thing. The security module stopped working and now I can't fix it the way that I fixed it before the last upgrade.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:22:11 PM »

That problem is solved except that it is still on WiFi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185867

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »

And for the other about report it on github?  I am guessing https://github.com/ is the wrong site. Sorry. I don't know what that is.
And another interesting thing. The security module stopped working and now I can't fix it the way that I fixed it before the last upgrade.
Location to post issues: https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/issues
I've opened the issue for the security widget though not sure why the recompile didn't work for you. You might wish to add to my issue report. https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/issues/360
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LostDog88

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »

That problem is solved except that it is still on WiFi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185867

Did that. It disabled the heck out of the WiFi.

and then I had to get out a keyboard and mouse to change it back so I had cloud access to that box again.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 02:30:18 PM »

Given the PiX10Hub is preconfigured for a Zero W which has no ethernet I suspect this may be the issue.
You may wish to try a fresh Rasbian stretch lite install and manually install HG. As a alternate I do have a 2.0 version with no HG customization and not geared to any particular PI.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LostDog88

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »

Given the PiX10Hub is preconfigured for a Zero W which has no ethernet I suspect this may be the issue.
You may wish to try a fresh Rasbian stretch lite install and manually install HG. As a alternate I do have a 2.0 version with no HG customization and not geared to any particular PI.

I will consider this, however, it probably won't happen. I will work on trying to make it static with WiFi.
Thanks for your help.
On a side note. Anyone saying that this is hard to do or install is not really trying. Following the directions you wrote and then configuring the X10 Program with the interface is as easy or easier then when I was using Win and AHP.
Thanks for the awesome program!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.