Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Open Weather  (Read 3370 times)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Open Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »

I have my own PWS and I use the rain sensor and wind sensor. Rain sensor to determine how much lawn watering to do and when. Wind sensor to automatically close a very large awning.
I have an indoor display and I use Cumulus to access the indoor display and save the real time data on the PC. Via a plug-in in HS3 I can access this data and a few events later it all works.

So, no, WU is not the middleman. I do upload there, but I don't need WU to access my own data.

Now to try and do the same thing with HG. Not sure I can plug the indoor display into the Pi and be able to do anything with it. Maybe...
MQTT is built into HG?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 06:24:45 PM »

If your goal is to remove the PC (a good goal), you would need a way to get the data from the weather station (transmitting on either 433 or 900MHz presumably) to a computer somewhere.  If the weather station's base has a USB then it might work on a RPi, but that depends on if someone has written an interface.  If not, you would have to figure something out.  I'd recommend searching for your station and or the brand and Linux/RPi to see if it's already been done.

If your goal is to keep the station plugged into the PC and use that to transmit, that's pretty easy.  You simply set up a MQTT client on the PC and use a script to send the data to a MQTT broker.  I think some of the weather trackers (WU perhaps) currently still have an MQTT broker to upload data to...maybe not.  Either way, you can send it directly to HG once a broker is set up on the RPi.  You will need something inside HG to catch the data.  Look at my MQTT code to see how I did this for some temperature sensors and weather data.  Others have probably done something similar if you look around online.

racerfern

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 06:39:40 PM »

Look at my MQTT code to see how I did this for some temperature sensors and weather data.

And where do I find this code?

Thanks for your input, it's along the lines of what I was expecting. The inside display is Ambient Weather WS-1090 and the sticker on the back says 915Mhz. I expect that plugging into the Pi and being able to something with it is beyond me. Way beyond me.

I can always get data from some online site but it won't be the actual numbers for rain and wind. That's why I like getting my own data.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 10:13:57 PM »

The link to my github has been posted enough times I assumed it was readily available.

https://github.com/bkenobi/HomeGenie_Apps

I have found over the years that while some things appear to be obvious, unless someone else has taken the time to write the code it doesn't exist until you write it yourself. 

For example: I have some code that I combined from various sources that allows for pulling 433MHz signals from various sensors OTA and converting them to MQTT.  Unfortunately, the hardware wasn't good enough for my needs and the project still sits 95% complete.  If I knew a little bit more about more hardware I could have fully implemented it and had a really great gateway...but I don't have the background nor the time/energy to learn it.

https://github.com/bkenobi/ookDecoder

That said, there are people that have written similar code to what you need.  I don't know if it works with your hardware, but a simple google search found:

www.weewx.com
www.wviewweather.com

Also the following promising forum:

www.wxforum.net
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:19:09 PM by bkenobi »

racerfern

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 06:12:24 PM »

I'm still struggling with getting openweather module for HG working. It just won't respect my city (no place to put state), lat and lon. Although I live in NY, I keep getting put somewhere near Berlin PA, not Baldwin, NY.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »

How are you entering the configuration info?
configure/settings/weather and environment/ jkUtils-OpenWeather/options?
under city have you typed type Your zip code?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »

Why would I type my zipcode? It came preconfigured with a city name, so I typed my city name. Nowhere has it ever said to type a zipcode until you just mentioned it.

BTW, even though it's currently 32F outside, now I have Weather in Santo Domingo DO and 78.8F (I wish) after typing my zipcode. If I move from 11510 my zip to 11520, next town over I go to Cadiz, ES.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »

Type zipcode, US
Also go to Openweather and read up on the api  it tells you how to get the most accurate pulls
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »

I read the API, lots of stuff but nothing that points to a solution. Typing my zipcode, US yields a town about 30 miles away. This is silly.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »

Did you download the City ID file and see if your city was listed in it?
There are lots of Baldwin citys listed in it for the US but not sure if you'd get any better results. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »

I don't use open weather but from memory, you have to pick a city that is in the list.  Every major city *should* be in there, but I found a minor city was not but a minuscule suburb was near me.  Just pick the one that's closest to your location.  I think it was Open Weather (could be wrong), but some of these locations didn't include full data.  I ended up with using the closest major city for one of my weather apps just to make sure that I had all data.

racerfern

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »

Yes, I downloaded a bunch of city files. No help, so as suggested I'll pick the closest city.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.