💬General Category > General Discussion

What is the definition of AI here?

<< < (2/20) > >>

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on March 10, 2019, 02:12:33 PM ---Definitions.... are like laws in many ways..... they do NOT cross national borders. But recognizing's human speech and reacting... is by all definitions I am aware of... AI.   

--- End quote ---
I guess the first ever software I created (AlertDialer) was by your definition AI. ::) :'
Voice recognition is just a small part of the definition no mater where you are in the world Dave.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

brobin:
If Alexa is AI then it's not a very smart one. Now if Alexa knew enough to ignore a TV ad for Alexa by knowing that the ad is running and/or knowing and ignoring the voice in the ad I'd be more impressed. I really like what I can do with it but it's still just following a preset set of instructions rather than using "intelligence" to make any independent decisions - but whatta ya expect for 30 bucks! rofl

dave w:

--- Quote from: brobin on March 10, 2019, 08:02:34 PM ---If Alexa is AI then it's not a very smart one.

--- End quote ---
Uh-oh, here we go.  :'

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: brobin on March 10, 2019, 08:02:34 PM ---If Alexa is AI then it's not a very smart one...... it's still just following a preset set of instructions rather than using "intelligence" to make any independent decisions....

--- End quote ---

Few "real people" (the ones with the actual real intelligence... that the artificial kind replicates) ever really invent, create, or develop ANYTHING of real value or uniqueness. Most people just sort'a patriot-back what they were taught. Hearing, understanding, and replying (and/or complying) is pretty much "typical intelligence". My Alexa's does a pretty good job of being artificial.

There was even a time.... when [reproducing and then] recognizing a voice... was a big enough of a deal for an International Corp to have based it's logo on it. 

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on March 10, 2019, 02:37:35 PM ---Voice recognition is just a small part of the definition no mater where you are in the world Dave.

--- End quote ---

It is a whole part! Just not a complete definition. I have an old friend that doesn't hear or speak a work.... but she's completely intelligent.

[When I was] In grade school the bulk of contemporary science saw the use of tools as the defining factor of (human) intelligence. Of course... then several animals were found to also use tools.... and the goal posts got moved. In real science... the goal posts are always getting moved. Remember when Pluto was a planet?

I get the feeling I get WAY more use from my Amazon AI devices than most posters here.... at this particular forum. But of the millions of households using AI... I am confident I am not AI's biggest user. I am just an old Home Automation guy.... who is isn't afraid of change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version