💬General Category > General Discussion

What is the definition of AI here?

<< < (20/20)

HA Dave:
You guys behave so poorly when frightened.

James G:
I have not seen anything yet that I would consider AI. It is all just programming. They are necessary building blocks that will eventually lead to "Artificial general intelligence".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_general_intelligence

bkenobi:
Huh, not sure where I said anything offensive. But, maybe I struck a nerve that damaged perceptions and egos? Amazon, Google, etc may be using the cloud to provide services and there may be elements of AI in it, but the features that have been touted as examples of AI here don't mesh with the definition. I would agree that the advertising engine is most certainly AI if that helps anyone'seen hurt feelings.

racerfern:
I agree with most everyone above. Nothing in Alexa, Google or anyone else shows real AI. It's all trying and it purports to figure things out, but when you think about it, 99.9% is lightning fast table lookup.

The other .1% is lost. At this point in computers, computers can't think. I'm not scared of AI, I look forward to successful demonstrations and implementations of it.

The other day, in an attempt to give AI the benefit of the doubt I simply told Google to open the garage door. The a few minutes later with the door open, I told it to open it again. Google said OK. A few minutes after that, I closed the garage door by using the button supplied with the door opener and my system went bonkers. I got text messages saying the door was open when it was closed, etc. What a mess. Then I had to remind myself, it's ARTIFICIAL intelligence, not real intelligence, I shouldn't have expected more.

If I employed the above scenario without Google, my Homeseer events would handle things just fine. Meanwhile, there are thousands of scientists out there working on AI and I wish them all the best. Bring your best example to the forefront and make our lives that much better for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version