Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What is the definition of AI here?  (Read 10025 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: What is the definition of AI here?
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »

FWIW, HG has a voice control via either the web or app interface.  There are videos showing how to use voice control that are 3 or 4 years old on youtube.  Every other HA software that is current (i.e., not AHP) has both voice control and a web/app interface that works well once configured.  I guess we've all been using AI all along!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »

Voice control of X10 has been around well before Alexa or even BXVC, both which Dave touts as revolutionary voice tools.
Many X10 old timers played with X10 voice control years prior. I was controlling X10 via voice with a flip phone and Window 95, prior to those revolutionary voice tools. I've been playing with Voice control since Windows 3.1 and dhouston (I believe) was playing with voice control well before that.
These things had to be taught to recognize your voice however they were poor or unable to recognizing anyone else's voice.
Voice recognition has improved by leaps and bounds over the years. Amazon has done an excellent job of packaging Voice control, using a simular method Microsoft used in improving their Windows speech engine. So if Alexa is AI then so is Windows and we've all been using AI for X10 longer then any of us realize. My definition of AI is not Alexa, however I do believe any Voice assistant is close to becoming AI in my eyes very quickly.  ;)
Also AI doesn't scare me so I guess I don't fit into the most x10 users here category HA Dave keeps mentioning.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »

Yeah... once upon a time.... X10 was the bee's knees. But now.... thanks mostly to the input from members of this very forum... X10 has been relegated to the favored protocol of those who fear the Internet. But I guess this could still workout for us X10 users. I mean.... maybe the Internet is just a passing fad.

I gotta call BS on this one. ::)  I don't think that any of us here "fear the internet" or think it's "just a passing fad." To the contrary, those of us here are probably more connected and savvy than most of our peers.  UNlike many of our peers and those much younger, we are not as trusting of the "good intentions" of various private and governmental entities and wish to at least be cognizant of what we might be trading for the benefit we get.  That's not a tin foil hat - it's awareness.  And, it's an issue of reliability - of the internet connections themselves, manufacturers that push products out the door before being ready for prime time (no pun intended) and companies who abandon their servers instantly creating thousands of doorstops.

You might claim "tin foil hat" but read about what Google is doing with school kids here: https://goo.gl/tpqE2g

Many of us use Alexa or GH as a convenience. I don't consider it AI but respect your opinion.  I gave some examples of what I consider AI earlier in this thread.

As far as X10 goes, the company already IS dead. They have no marketing presence, no new products (that work as advertised) and no industry support or recognition other than as a "legacy" product.  Most of us here use it solely because it's what we've had for years, we know how to use it and it works for us - not because we're stuck in some outdated "paradigm."  If it didn't satisfy our needs we'd drop it in a heartbeat.  Someone starting out today wouldn't even be aware of it in the marketplace.  >!

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »

I do have some concern about a couple of decades from now with the Singularity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

James G

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
It may not be that far off! http://theemergingfuture.com/speed-technological-advancement.htm
  >!

You are correct. Technology is moving faster at an accelerating pace.

(Did you see my request to you on the Plato thread?)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »

Yes, done
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »

It may not be that far off!
  >!

http://theemergingfuture.com/speed-technological-advancement.htm

I fully plan to serve our future-coming, computer overloads to the best of my ability [humor]. So... I have no "concern" [fear] of the dark, scary, imagined future... that exists in the minds, and hearts of all men (and women). Computers, robots, friendly neighboring nations...… they will all eventually war with us. Battle and death is just a part of the human experience. I accept my being human.... and as such I know my fate.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

James G

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »

Yes, done

I meant the second request. Thanks!

HA Dave

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »

……. So if Alexa is AI then so is Windows and we've all been using AI for X10 longer then any of us realize. My definition of AI is not Alexa...…..
Also AI doesn't scare me so I guess I don't fit into the most x10 users here category HA Dave keeps mentioning.

So.... if IA doesn't exist in your mind.... of course it doesn't scare you. But since all the experts say Google and Echo are AI.... wouldn't that just mean your in denial. And... isn't THAT what I actually posted "fear or denial".

Yes voice recognition has been around for a long time. Many of us played with the Dragon Speaking stuff on our IBM look-alikes. Buying the proper soundcard, being at the "correct' processor speed (and brand). Those were the days. I know where we're at.... partly because I took every step of the journey.

I know not everyone is exploiting the AI part of Home Automation (yet). And that doesn't demean them in any way. But I am. And for me.... there is no turning back.

HA Dave

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »

……... As far as X10 goes, the company already IS dead. They have no marketing presence, no new products (that work as advertised) and no industry support or recognition other than as a "legacy" product.  Most of us here use it solely because it's what we've had for years, we know how to use it and it works for us - not because we're stuck in some outdated "paradigm."  If it didn't satisfy our needs we'd drop it in a heartbeat.  Someone starting out today wouldn't even be aware of it in the marketplace.  >!

I thought I had replied to this... but somehow I missed it.

In many ways I know you're completely correct. I don't like to think of X10 as dead, or legacy. I think there is still value in a non-WiFi protocol [PLC] product. But that may just be me stuck in my outdated paradigm (we ALL have them you know).

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 05:11:01 PM »

In many ways I know you're completely correct. I don't like to think of X10 as dead, or legacy. I think there is still value in a non-WiFi protocol [PLC] product. But that may just be me stuck in my outdated paradigm (we ALL have them you know).

We agree. There is still value in a non-WiFi protocol [PLC] product, it's just that X10 has, for whatever reason, bowed out leaving the field to ZWave, ZigBee and Insteon. All have local and cloud based control options including X10 albeit a feeble, failed attempt. But even then, the little Smartenit G2 device I'm playing with is cloud controlled with X10, Insteon & Zigbee built in (plus others) and an Alexa skill.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 05:29:00 PM »

So.... if IA doesn't exist in your mind.... of course it doesn't scare you. But since all the experts say Google and Echo are AI.... wouldn't that just mean your in denial. And... isn't THAT what I actually posted "fear or denial".
Here we go Again! >*< >*<
I never said IA doesn't exist!
 I said my definition of AI was different then yours and I guess your so called experts!
I don't consider Alexa or any voice assistant AI (yet).

So your suggesting I should be scared of Alexa, or any Voice Assistants?
Or should I be scared of IA what ever that is? rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2019, 06:17:30 PM »

How do we put an end to this. Take a vote?
I say Alexa, Google, etc are not AI, not even close.

I still stand by my previous statement, AI is the ability to make a correct statement based on a question. The computer at the other end will need to analyze the question and come up with an answer. I have yet to see that with any of the offerings. Of cousre if you ask the right question... but ask a question that requires one second of thougt...

All I see is a bunch of pretty fancy, if - then - elseif - elseif - ...

Ask your favorite microphone why the chicken crossed the road. Remember, the intelligence is artificial. Mine said, there are so many chickens, they should carpool. That's not an answer worthy of an AI gold star, IMO.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »

Ask your favorite microphone why the chicken crossed the road. Remember, the intelligence is artificial. Mine said, there are so many chickens, they should carpool. That's not an answer worthy of an AI gold star, IMO.
rofl

The OP asked, what the definition of AI was here on this forum?
I believe it has been answered even thought the preacher wants everyone to conform to their belief.
As I originally stated:
What is the definition of AI here? Whatever it is, it does not approach the standard one. This is all simple programming.
There is no universal answer to that here! Ask 10 different users here that question and you'll get probably 8-10 different answers.
Some believe AI is a Voice assistant like Alexa!  Voice assistants are at the far low end of true AI as far as I'm concerned.
I think we are at the cusp of seeing what most regard the definition of AI to be.
For now Voice assistants as far as I'm concerned are not AI (yet). If I'm in denial so be it! >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.