Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 🛠HG Tools  (Read 6405 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
🛠HG Tools
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »

"These all work with the new HG UI however the status info custom widget doesn't so the generic status widget is required"
This is actually a group of C# scripts (programs) and is a work in progress so more scripts may possibly get added in the future.
Currently this includes:
1: DateTime Reset, this will reset the RPi clock if for what ever reason it fails to be off.
2: RPi Reboot, this  does what the name suggests
3: RPi UpDate, this  does a RPi package update not a firmware update
4: SafeShutdown, this  does what the name suggests
5:DateTime Info, this displays date, time, the Pi thinks it is as well as the time the RPi has been power up and running and the CPU temperature.(no more info will be added to this)
6: Status Info, this  displays same info as the DateTime Info  as well as added info but all info at once in a single custom widget shown below. Currently there are no plans to add more info to this.
7: tuicemen_tools_info.zip, a Custom Widget & icon for Status Info. Note: the DateTime Info app can also be set to use this widget if one wishes with a edit to the start up tab  changing the widget the program tries to use.
8: RPi Memory Cleaner, this basically flushes your cache memory possibly freeing up some held by an update or install.
9: RPi Drive Cleaner, this will free up space held from Deb package installers,  RPi upgrades, & updates.

Any one of the tools can be included in a simple wizard script for auto firing on the condition you choose or manually started.
Install Instructions:
  • Download and rename HG_Tools.txt to HG_Tools.zip then unzip it
  • In HG go to Configure/Programs and create a Group called Tools
  • From inside the Tools group import a program and browse to the HG_Tools folder created from unzipping
  • Select a hgx file to import and click import, do this for the programs you wish or for all
  • Enable each program you import
  • for programs with options you can set these from settings/Tools
to install new widgets go to configure/widgets then click on Actions and import widget browse to the widget zip file("tuicemen_tools_info.zip") and import. Do not unzip prior
Questions and suggestions are always welcome!
 >!
Note:Package was last updated 2019-04-20

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 04:10:06 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: 🛠HG Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »

While playing with creating a widget for my weather triggers I found a command to check the uptime of the RPI and thought that would be cool to display But then I thought I should also be displaying the RPI time it thought it was so one could tell if the Pi clock was off. So I incorporated the two into the DateTimeInfo widget.
I've included this in the updated tools package. ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:29:11 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »

I've been playing a bit more with the Date Time widget and thought it also would be cool to see the CPU temperature as well as the day & month displayed other then numerical.
I'm still tweaking this  but will include it as an update to the DateTimeInfo program in the tools download set once done.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 12:54:02 PM »

I wasn't satisfied with the display area this widget supplies so I decided to take a stab at creating a new widget.
This widget displays all info at once and should allow for easier addition of extra info.
Thought still in the early stages it is looking promising.
I'm looking at adding free space left, and total memory used info next
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:24:03 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »

I've added the new widget and Status Info program to the tools package in the OP and left the DateTimeInfo program in.
The DateTimeInfo program will not get any new adds these will be added to the Status Info program at a future time.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 06:40:44 AM »

I took some time off from developing the Weather Alerter Program and looked again at the possibilities of the Status Info program can display.
Wow the possibilities are endless with a RPI you can even read board voltages.
yesterday I added disk space total and available space which is why the attached shows a up time of just a few hours. I had forgot to expand the file system ::) :' I also added a free memory reading to this but I think I'm running low on memory myself  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »

I downloaded the new program and widget and just added them (the one from 04/13) - looks good.  I'd like to get the updated one from today when you get it ready.  Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »

I downloaded the new program and widget and just added them (the one from 04/13) - looks good.  I'd like to get the updated one from today when you get it ready.  Thanks
I'm still doing some minor tweaks to it but glad you like the current available one.
Good thing is the current widget doesn't need updating it expands with each new info line I add(provided I keep the information to a minimum).
I'd like to add another tool to go along with this but I'm at a loss right now for an idea. ::) :'
In any case I most likely will make the new version available on my site first. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:58:35 PM »

I believe I may have found some useful tools before I started this  quest  my pi was starting to get bogged down. not surprising I forgot to expand the file system as mentioned earlier  but my memory was starting to vanish and that can be expected with everything play with on this machine. However a tripple gain in free memory :o  How is that even possible!?
Now to just put it all together! rofl
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:44:11 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 08:57:32 AM »

Since I have more then one ZeroW running here (2) I decided to attempt to recreate this astonishing memory gain improvement.
I since it has different things running and using memory I didn't expect the same results and I didn't.
However I did gain almost double the free memory. :o
This is amazing but now I'm wondering did I just forget to run something ::) :'
Commands require root access but all are just simple console commands.
I doubt most users will see the same gain I have, but any improvement is a bonus even if short lived.
 >!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:26:28 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »

As I said early on in the hub's development, if you are considering performance of the card as important rather than strictly size, the RPiZW is not the right choice.

http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/raspberrypi-models-comparison

The RPi3B+ has 4x as many cores clocked 40% faster running 64-bit (not 32-bit) with 2x the system memory and many more USB.  In fact, if you look at the specs, the RPiZW is slightly faster than the RPi1B (1GHz vs 700MHz) but it has less connections overall.

There's nothing wrong with the Zero, but it's not a performance board compared to the full sized options.  So, unless it's going into a confined space (moreso than the very compact RPi3), it's a poor choice for many reasons.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »

The ZeroW boards were chosen for more for their low cost and that they could handle HG with X10 more then any thing else. At the time these were going for under $5 a pop so users reluctant about the tinny SB computers wouldn't think twice about giving X10 on a PI a shot. In fact that's what got me using it in the first place.
If I fried a $5 board it would be no drain on my pocket book, $50 or more I would have felt.
Petera and I were looking to get users setup on a pi as cheaply as possible.

Whether one takes the performance of the SD card or the PI in general into account has no barring on the fact of improving operations.
I push my Zero W boards to the extremes and I do that for a reason.
I would have seen a simular improvement no matter what RPI this was done on.
In fact, I'm sure using the performance tools on my 3B+ will produce even better results as I use it for streaming Video, HA with HG and it is loaded with noobs which loaded  some unused apps that are space and memory hogs.
 ;)

Now I did discover that both ZeroW boards don't have the same amount of initial base memory even though both were purchased from the same vendor.  B:(
I just may have to switch things up a bit as to what is run from each. ::) :'
I also now know I'm glad I went with the 16 gig SD cards for my Zero W boards
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 05:43:43 PM »

If you are trying to push the board to the extreme, then you should make sure you have appropriate cooling.  Many people use these boards for pretty powerful tools and add passive and/or active cooling onto them.  I don't know if the RPi has thermal throttling, but if so and you are pushing it hard, it may slow down to avoid breaking.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »

The one that I'm pushing the hardest does have passive cooling, an addon board which adds 3 full size USB and Urit , runs X10 (cm19), Zwave (USB Dongle) and a Kinects Video Cam with motion. I don't have this overclocked in fact I don't think you can overclock a Zero W
I'm still experimenting with the Kinects but I've gotten further then I would have expected since Windows 7 and older had problems with it.
The other Zero is inside a CM15 and has no extra cooling of any kind and runs a few extra softwares besides HG and HA-bridge and Bluetooth is enabled for sound.

My reasoning for pushing the ZeroW boards hard is I want to be sure I can recommend it for use with the PiX10Hub and know for certain the average user won't have an issue. ;)
 >!

UpDate: I've posted the updated package !
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:33:09 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »

I never though of using the tools from the HomeGenie Plus app but it is possible to view both the DateTime Info and the Status Info widgets from it. I love the fact that the Plus app allows you to hide or show items which you wish displayed.
The DateTime Info pulls easily into the app the Status Info widget doesn't with out doing a bit of a change in the HG server prior to adding once added you can switch back. Hopefully Gene will get this bug worked out for the next update.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.