Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Is the PiX10Hub (Homegenie) just a stepping stone to something else?

Yes, I've moved on or plan to.
- 1 (14.3%)
No, I find HomeGenie supplies all my needs
- 4 (57.1%)
Maybe, I've not tried it yet but plan to
- 2 (28.6%)
Using a Pi scares the $##% out of me so I'll never try it.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whats your opion of HomeGenie & or the PiX10Hub?  (Read 4699 times)

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Whats your opion of HomeGenie & or the PiX10Hub?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 12:21:10 AM »

There's at least twelve applications I have verified that work comfortably with X10. I have no major preference for any of them. While HomeGenie was the one selected and recommended for users on this forum there are other applications that may be perceived to be easier to configure than it.

What are the other current applications (IOS and/or Android) that work with X10, besides HomeGenie, ISY, Indigo Domotics, HomeSeer, HomeAssistant, Smartenit, Vera, and Allonis' MyServer?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:35:22 AM by x10wizard »

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »

There's at least twelve applications I have verified that work comfortably with X10. I have no major preference for any of them. While HomeGenie was the one selected and recommended for users on this forum there are other applications that may be perceived to be easier to configure than it.

What are the other current applications (IOS and/or Android) that work with X10, besides HomeGenie, ISY, Indigo Domotics, HomeSeer, HomeAssistant, Smartenit, Vera, and Allonis' MyServer?

OpenHAB, Misterhouse, MajorDomo, Pytomation and all the web UIs that deploy Heyu and Mochad. The list is endless. You can even write your own web UI that can exploit Heyu or Mochad or use them as standalones. Of course there's Linux MCE http://www.linuxmce.com/ Was there a reason you wanted to know.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:54:08 AM by petera »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 02:34:45 PM »

I tried a number of these in the past and most seemed to leverage Mochad.  Although it does work, it isn't as well implemented as HG's driver.  Would you say that any of the other options you listed are as fully capable as HG?  The primary thing missing is RF communication in Mochad.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 03:03:21 PM »

I tried a number of these in the past and most seemed to leverage Mochad.  Although it does work, it isn't as well implemented as HG's driver.  Would you say that any of the other options you listed are as fully capable as HG?  The primary thing missing is RF communication in Mochad.

Yes the RF issue has always reared its head with Mochad. I did some work on Mochad with a commercial home automation product and managed to sort out the RF “lock ups” and disconnects experienced by changing to v0.0.17 and adjusting udev rules. It’s a while since I did this but it seemed to work in that case. I’m going to revisit Mochad with Home Assistant and have a look at the Python plugin it utilizes. I imagine it’s not too far off the mark but nobody over at Home Assistant could be bothered working on it for obvious reasons.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 08:15:35 AM »

While looking into what HA program to use for the PiX10Hub I'll  admit I didn't  look at them all. However I didn't  stop at HomeGenie either. What turned off of most I looked at was what extra was required for X10 and what modules were supported. Having built in drivers for X10 built in was a must. Loading and running an extra program just to get X10 still seems stupid to me. I also don't like having to load and run another program just to get support for any other protocol. If the HA program can use just drivers for a protocol the Pi will run faster executing things.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »

While looking into what HA program to use for the PiX10Hub I'll  admit I didn't  look at them all. However I didn't  stop at HomeGenie either. What turned off of most I looked at was what extra was required for X10 and what modules were supported. Having built in drivers for X10 built in was a must. Loading and running an extra program just to get X10 still seems stupid to me. I also don't like having to load and run another program just to get support for any other protocol. If the HA program can use just drivers for a protocol the Pi will run faster executing things.

What about the bridges you run. Surely they are external solutions to problems you have encountered. MQTT in HG is a classic example. Of course there's your Broadlink solution. Theres no one solution fits all out there.

There's absolutely no problem using external solutions once they are patched correctly to the target application. Mochad and Heyu work perfectly with plenty of Web APIs once the person trying to deploy them understand what they are doing.

The problem now is that no new talented up and coming qualified coders/designers would even look at X10. Prospective employers are hardly crying out for their X10 development skills. It's left to those who are either retired or are sentimental for times past. I fall into the latter category. A sucker for punishment one could say. Now time to get back to activity that pays the bills and has an hourly rate attached to it.  >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 01:05:11 PM »

What about the bridges you run. Surely they are external solutions to problems you have encountered. MQTT in HG is a classic example. Of course there's your Broadlink solution. Theres no one solution fits all out there.
I use one Bridge (HA-Bridge) and that's mainly due to the vast options it delivers. I'm not knocking HG programs nor any HA addon if a user wishes to go that route. As you stated there is no one solution that fit every ones need.
The problem now is that no new talented up and coming qualified coders/designers would even look at X10. Prospective employers are hardly crying out for their X10 development skills. It's left to those who are either retired or are sentimental for times past.
I don't think that is entirely true. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.