🖥️ActiveHome Pro > Help & Troubleshooting

Problems with New X10 Install

<< < (2/4) > >>

brobin:

--- Quote from: gdmaclew on April 19, 2019, 07:35:29 AM ---
I read somewhere that if you just "turn on" the clothes dryer or oven, that you are effectively "bridging" the two phases.
Did I understand it wrong?

I will try to move the transceiver and see what results I get.
If that doesn't work I'll change out the switch over the weekend.

Where can I get Jeff's XTB-IIR?

--- End quote ---

The dryer/oven trick MAY work as it does bridge the two legs but doesn't solve any noise/signal sucker issues.  The XTB-IIR, available at jvde.us, blasts the X10 signal out on both legs at 20 volts which mitigates most signal issues. Filters may still be needed on devices like laser printers or certain LED bulbs but start with the XTB-IIR.

NOTE: Jeff only has a limited supply of XTB-IIR's remaining and does not plan to build more so get one while you still can - you won't be sorry!

gdmaclew:
Another couple of updates.

First off, just to clarify, 2 new AFCI circuits were added for the renovations.

The switch that used to control the first 2 pairs of flood lights mentioned above was moved to the other side of the mud room as mentioned but I just discovered that
it was also moved to one of the new AFCI circuits.

So the first new test I did was to plug the TM751 into the same circuit as the switch for those flood lights. No joy.
Then just for fun I plugged the TM751 into one of the outlets on the same side of the breaker panel (non-AFCI) as the new ACFI circuits and again no luck.

So I guess it's definite...the WS467 switch must be faulty - at least the part of it that responds to X10 signals. The manual push-button still works.

I still have to fully test the 3rd pair of flood lights outside the side door of the garage.

Will update when that is completed.

Opinions on my new first test and my conclusions about the WS467 are welcome.

Thanks.

brobin:
It's quite possible that the switch is bad. The WS467's, which I haven't used since 1992,  had a tendency to fail when a bulb burnt out but would be completely dead rather than just deaf to X10.  You could try swapping switches to confirm as it's unlikely both would die at the same time.  I haven't had any problems with X10 performance on AFCI circuits.  Do you have a plug in module you can test with?

gdmaclew:

--- Quote from: brobin on April 19, 2019, 07:33:05 PM ---It's quite possible that the switch is bad. The WS467's, which I haven't used since 1992,  had a tendency to fail when a bulb burnt out but would be completely dead rather than just deaf to X10.  You could try swapping switches to confirm as it's unlikely both would die at the same time.  I haven't had any problems with X10 performance on AFCI circuits.  Do you have a plug in module you can test with?

--- End quote ---

You read my mind. I'm going to try putting a spare lamp module in the garage and then put the TM751 in there too and see what happens.
You haven't used WS467's since 1992. Can I ask what you use instead?

Doug

brobin:

--- Quote from: gdmaclew on April 20, 2019, 08:25:03 AM ---
You read my mind. I'm going to try putting a spare lamp module in the garage and then put the TM751 in there too and see what happens.
You haven't used WS467's since 1992. Can I ask what you use instead?

Doug

--- End quote ---
Preferring the look of the Decora style switches I went with the Leviton DHC switches that performed much better.  They've been discontinued but X10 stills sells them under their own brand. I'd go with the new XPDi3 today.
 https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/switches/xpdi3-dimmer-120-vac-500w-inductive.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version