Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Driveway Alert Macro in Hg  (Read 2923 times)

edjal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Driveway Alert Macro in Hg
« on: June 06, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »

I have posted pictures of a Macro I hope I have created correctly. If you see any problems with this Macro I'm hoping for some input on editing possibilities so as to make this macro run correctly.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Driveway Alert Macro in Hg
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:11:38 PM »

Wow.  Never considered incorporating my driveway alert into HG...  I can use a switch input module or DS10 to bring in the driveway contact and do as you are doing here, and have it turn on one of those little loud buzzers!  Cool.   Much simpler than my present system of running the contact thru the house phone wiring (using a pair) and turning on sonalerts!  Cool idea, thanks for it!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:02:18 PM »

I have posted pictures of a Macro I hope I have created correctly. If you see any problems with this Macro I'm hoping for some input on editing possibilities so as to make this macro run correctly.

Looks fine. As you can see from your example 95% of automations can be created with the Wizard Script breaking down tasks into simple logic. Clearly this script is performing as designed so well done  :)%

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 12:04:01 AM »

Not to suggest automation isn't a valid solution, but this might be a better use for off the shelf hardware.  If you want a driveway notification with an audible alarm and potentially triggering something, you might want to check out the Mighty Mule offerings.  Here's one example that might fit right in.

https://www.mightymule.com/fm231/

The problem with using the DS10 is that it's known for having terrible range.  There used to be a lot of projects on this forum by the old timers and many of those used modified DS10 modules.  If they had a better software than AH or AHP, they could have done some real damage!   :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:00:20 AM »

I never had irange ssues with  security modules/sensors. I did have issues with the standard x10 motion sensors. (Ms14)One reason I switched to using all security motion sensors (ms10a) the problem was even the outdoor ms14 weren't  water resistant.
The newer motion sensors are said to have better range and the out door models are more weather resistant. I've not tested either.

I did install an off the shelf driveway sensor at my off grid place and got two years out of it before it went wonky. Better then my bear sensor with a ms14 that lasted till second rain down pour.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:04:07 AM »

Bkenobi, I would never consider a DS10 or any X10 product for SENSOR for a driveway alert either!  We use two different ones as we live 1/2 mile off the rd in the middle of woods and must know when someone turns down our driveway at the street.  Have used for 30 years a winland electronics system (buried inductive pickup for metal vehicle detection).  It has been near 100% effective.  Then to tell progress of incoming vehicle or people, we have had for 20 years 3pc Chamberlain 1000 ft. Wireless Driveway Alarm Guardline Security sensors along the way, each beep coded 1,2,3 to identify their progress - good if they come in and do not make it all the way to the house...  IRRC their receiver has a N.O. contact output available.  Furthest sensor is 1,000ft away - directly thru the heavy forest trees.   I feed the beeper signal from the street sensor thru an unused pair in phone line I ran throughout everwhere, run sonalerts.  But it would be cool to feed THIS sig into HG so I could do things like send an email when not home if someone went down the driveway, etc...

Like Tuicemen, I do not have range issues with my DS10's, but for a different reason.  When I first began using them, I DID have the normal range issues so they were not 100% reliable.  That makes them totally useless iin an alrm system, so I moved ALL of them to an alarm panel, 6 feet away from my DS1200 and CM15a.  Used pairs for each in old cat5 cable I have run everywhere  (switched to mainly wifi so no longer used for network) to bring the actual door/window switches up to the DS10 panel.  I have a few extra DS10's mounted, ready for other things - like this.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:57:03 AM »

If you already have the signal on a wire, I would not personally make it wireless so it has to be converted back to PLC.  IMO, I would opt for a power flash module which takes a dry contact (or up to some low voltage I think) and converts it into PLC.  I used one for my garage motion sensor for a while and it worked fine.  I switched to using the RPi GPIO pins when the Power Flash broke after a wind storm (triggered ~1000 times in an hour and failed).  For a driveway alert, it should be fine forever.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.