🔌General Home Automation > Powerline Control Reliability

Ocelot X10 Controller

(1/2) > >>

JeffVolp:
Some of you know we have an Ocelot for our home automation controller.  That with the XTB-523 working as its powerline interface had provided virtual 100% reliability since we moved into this house.  But over the last several months reliability had deteriorated.  While still above 99%, occasionally the hall light controlled by an extended code was not at the proper brightness for that time of day.  Then over the last week it seemed like ghosts invaded the house, with lights switching on and off randomly.

Since years ago the power module had failed, I swapped in a new module.  But then the Ocelot would no longer communicate with the PC.  Hmmm...

I swapped in the backup I picked up on eBay.  It would not communicate with the PC either.  So thinking I had somehow damaged the serial port, I tried a different port.  Still no go...  Then I noticed the case on the Ocelot seemed warmer than usual.

I pulled the cover, and the electrolytic capacitor was hot.  Monitoring the rectified voltage with a scope showed the capacitor was not filtering the rectified voltage at all.  Checking the original Ocelot showed it had a similar problem with a dead electrolytic.  I replaced both electrolytics, and both Ocelots are again working as they should.

So, if you have an Ocelot that begins to misbehave, check the electrolytic in the upper corner.  If warm at all, it should be replaced.

Jeff

dave w:
Everything gets old and starts to deteriorate. even us.....sigh.

Brian H:
Thank you for the information.

Electrolytic Capacitors seem to frequently cause issues. Changing capacitors in many of my failing devices has fixed most of them.

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: dave w on October 18, 2019, 05:47:06 PM ---Everything gets old and starts to deteriorate. even us.....sigh.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm getting old too, but I'm planning to do the rim-to-rim again in a few weeks.  I did it two years ago camping one night at the bottom, but this time I'm planning to do it in one day.

Jeff

dave w:

--- Quote from: JeffVolp on October 18, 2019, 07:03:13 PM ---but I'm planning to do the rim-to-rim again in a few weeks.  I did it two years ago camping one night at the bottom, but this time I'm planning to do it in one day.

--- End quote ---
You must be buying that "Texas Super Food" stuff advertised on the radio. <wink> My idea of strenuous exercise is the treadmill set to 3.8 mph.  rofl
Be safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version