Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WM100 Discussion  (Read 5844 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: WM100 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »

The person who sent the private email responded "they (the X10 forum) haven't approved my registration so I cannot login or post there"

The message sounds like it might be from a disgruntled ex employee. Just exercise a little care when communicating by PM and avoid opening up any ports to the outside world for any reason. You don't want to be the recipient of a load of malware unknown to you.

bevhoward

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »

>> What forum is that? <<

This forum... the person (not me) who sent me the private message (first name Kent) indicated that he wanted to join the discussion and signed up but his registration has not been approved so he was unable to do so.

>> The message sounds like it might be from...  <<

He (Kent) and I have had multiple exchanges about the wm100 and from those exchanges it seems that he would be an excellent member of the forum with obvious extensive x10 experience and knowledge backed up with a a highly skilled tech background in tcpip communications.

I have a policy what if someone responds to any posts I have made on the hundreds of forums that I have participated in since the days of compuserve to respond to their queries on the forum, give them a link to the post and suggest that they join the forum...

...he has indicated that he did so before he pm'd me.

Now, back to the quest for technical answers ;-)

Beverly

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »

Once you are sure of your contact, PM seems to be the way forward for you for the moment at least. As far as I know the mod is currently in home automation hibernation until at least the Fall so maybe that is the issue for Kent. I wonder how long Kent is waiting for approval to post here. Has he tried both creating a new post and replying to a current one. All seems very odd. Maybe someone more “in the know” could shed some light on this dilemma.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 03:13:50 PM »

It appears that the "new activation email" is not being sent automatically.  I don't know why that is but hopefully it will be fixed.  Perhaps it was turned off because there have been accounts created to spam the forum.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »

It appears that the "new activation email" is not being sent automatically.  I don't know why that is but hopefully it will be fixed.  Perhaps it was turned off because there have been accounts created to spam the forum.

Yes I noticed the upsurge in spam alright. I’m always a little wary when I see that on any forum. There’s no way you could automatically allow posting without some form of validation these days. That’s why I wouldn’t download any form of images or scripts from a site without full end to end encryption. No padlock on the browser bar, no downloads.

At least we now might understand why Kent couldn’t join the discussion.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »

I am a moderator of another (auto related) forum and I am getting probably 5-8 spam member signup requests a day now....folks staying home from Covid-19 and bored? Who knows but they are from all over the world based based upon IP....thank the heavens for automated IP database checkers!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 06:08:46 PM »

I did miss the emailed photos from another person mentioned reference in your post.

Could be the activation email was not sent or the activation email ended up in the new members email providers Spam folder. I have had a few go to my spam folder.

If they where a new member. They have a Newbie status and can't post photos. Not sure on external links.

We have some added Spam features here and if one does get through. It will  be moved to a private section for review. With a possible Ban of the user.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:12:49 PM by Brian H »

brobin

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 06:24:39 PM »

A little earlier I used a different browser to register for a new account to test this and can confirm that auto sending of the activation email is working.  The activation email actually was sent and went directly to my spam folder.  I opened it, clicked on the activation link and successfully logged in.  So Kent may want to check that or try again and watch for it in his spam folder. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 07:22:20 AM »

Since Kent can pm they could PM me. Or email x10 directly. The forum has a few spam filters which may also have flagged thier ip as a possible spammerthough I doubt that is the case.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bevhoward

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »

Since Kent can pm they could PM me

I've probably misused the "PM" term since what happened is that he was able to find my email address and emailed me directly.

So, if he emails X10 with reference to "Tuicemen" you will get it?

I'll pass this on to him.

Thanks for pursuing a solution,
Beverly Howard

brobin

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 11:01:05 AM »

Since I was able to confirm that new registrations work maybe if he tries from a different IP address and/or using a different email it would work.  If he tried from his home IP he could use his phone (with WiFi off) or use a VPN.  Remind him to check his spam folder as that's where my activation email landed.  In fact, if he wants, he can just take over the new account I created.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »

A email to x10 support with mentioning the forum issue and me will find its way to me.
There is a thread on my forum discussing the possibility of local control (hacking the WM100) as well as a thread on this forum However the thread on this forum got side tracked into improving the WM100 firmware and the hardware limitations.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.