Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nest E thermostat in HomeGenie?  (Read 4711 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Nest E thermostat in HomeGenie?
« on: December 07, 2019, 07:22:47 AM »

Anyone added a Nest E thermostat in HomeGenie?  I did some searches and the things I did find were several years old - was hoping someone may have had recent success.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Nest E thermostat in HomeGenie?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:51:13 AM »

Anyone added a Nest E thermostat in HomeGenie?  I did some searches and the things I did find were several years old - was hoping someone may have had recent success.

I don't own one of those devices but fortunately there is a MIG you can install in HG to support it. It appears quite straightforward to install it too under Configure->Maintenance->Install Package->Devices and Things->Nest->Nest Control driver app.

There are a number of other Nest utilities you can install in that section too. Clear instructions on installation are also given.

As its one of the older technologies luckily support is built into HG. If you need any further info on setup you can post at the Homegenie.Club forum where you'll find other users of these units.

soxfan1966

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 06:53:30 AM »

I tried to get this working but it appears Google is in the process of migrating their Next Developers sites to a new model and it is no longer possible (at least in trying to navigate their site) to sign up for a new developers account with the existing model.

This is the link to the Next package with the instructions detailed on how to add Next control to HomeGenie.  Using the links in the instructions to try and add a new Product just keeps bringing you to the same page about the new model info, which is not slated to be released until nest year (2020) - not sure if even when that is released if the current widget and login stuff will continue to work.

https://github.com/genielabs/homegenie-packages/tree/master/packages/Devices%20and%20Things/Nest

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »

I tried to get this working but it appears Google is in the process of migrating their Next Developers sites to a new model and it is no longer possible (at least in trying to navigate their site) to sign up for a new developers account with the existing model.

This is the link to the Next package with the instructions detailed on how to add Next control to HomeGenie.  Using the links in the instructions to try and add a new Product just keeps bringing you to the same page about the new model info, which is not slated to be released until nest year (2020) - not sure if even when that is released if the current widget and login stuff will continue to work.

https://github.com/genielabs/homegenie-packages/tree/master/packages/Devices%20and%20Things/Nest

You'll get a Nest E user on the HomeGenie forum.I doubt there is any here. As I mentioned just sign up and ask the question there https://homegenie.club/

soxfan1966

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 08:31:09 AM »

Thank you, I posted the question on that site.

soxfan1966

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »

Hi all, been awhile on this topic.  I know there have been some other topics on temp and humidity sensors so had started looking into this again.

There is a new Google API context, and the old HomeGenie Nest interface has not been updated yet.  I made another post over at the HomeGenie site too

I was able to use the new Google api (there was a good YouTube video I found to help walk thru the steps) and I can make api calls to get the current data from the thermostat using Postman (an API testing tool).

However, I’m not all that experienced with C# and the HomeGenie Programs to make api calls (this needs to also use access tokens, which get generated as part of the setup).

I’m really only interested in getting the current temperature and humidity from the thermostat, so will try and play around with that now.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 04:46:50 PM »

I believe the Philp hue program on HG uses restfull api calls so a examination of that program may yield some helpful info.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 11:18:50 AM »

Will take a look at that.  I was able to get the info via a HG Program using a call to Curl (based on how the Tuicemen Tools call the pi system functions).

Trying to see if I want to just start with that, as I said I am only looking to get the current temp and humidity not a full control of the thermostat (at least not now).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.