Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WM100  (Read 10043 times)

tc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WM100
« on: January 01, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »

I just bought a WM100 and see that macros are not supported yet.  I like the work around of using the CM15 in the interim and I will try that.

Is anyone aware if there is anyone working on software upgrades for the WM100 iPhone app?

Thanks.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: WM100
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »

It seems that the WM100 was a one-shot deal from the manufacturer...they have not been eager to support the product and make changes/enhancements.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 06:25:33 AM »

I have seen no messages here on any X10 movement on updating the WM100's APP.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:06:10 AM »

Much the same on the X10 European front. The App in this instance was an afterthought and no real development occurred after its release. From here on I reckon any further X10 development will be of the home spun variety. I can’t see any commercial enterprise wanting to dip a toe into the X10 world. It doesn’t make commercial sense. https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/marmitek-tip10rf-smartphone-to-x10-interface/

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »

I just bought a WM100 and see that macros are not supported yet.  I like the work around of using the CM15 in the interim and I will try that.

Is anyone aware if there is anyone working on software upgrades for the WM100 iPhone app?

Thanks.
The WM100 is a poorly executed product that appears dead in terms of development. For me, without an Alexa skill it was a non-starter.  My advice - return it now while you can. 

Instead, take a look at the Smartenit Harmony products that have a properly implemented and supported Alexa Skill (as well the equivalent for GH) plus Android & IOS apps and a web portal.  The basic unit, the P2, supports X10 & Insteon using a 2412 or 2413 S or U PLM as well as ZigBee devices.  The P2 connects to your network via Ethernet and only costs $60 (plus $15 for the 2412U PLM if needed).  That's at least $35 less than the WM100 and it does more.

It has a scheduler that includes accurate sunrise/sunset offsets and, while no macros per se, it has a "Micro App" feature that lets you control a group of devices as one.  Worth a look at: https://smartenit.com/product/harmony-p2/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 06:05:13 PM by brobin »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »

I don't believe the Harmony P2 has a serial port. So the 2412U or 2413U would probably be the ones to pick from.

brobin

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 02:44:48 PM »

I don't believe the Harmony P2 has a serial port. So the 2412U or 2413U would probably be the ones to pick from.
That's correct for all three Harmony models.  The 2412U which they bundle for $15 over the $60 P2 price is the way to go.  I only mention the 'S' in case someone might already have one (as I did) and wants to use it with a USB-to-serial adapter.  I did that when I first got the unit and later upgraded to a 2413U PLM so I could use an Insteon wireless open/close sensor on my package drop box.  When the lid on the box is opened the unit receives the Insteon RF signal and sends a text and an X10 command that flashes a lamp.  Other than the wireless Insteon ability I don't think there's any other difference from the 2412.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 06:06:13 PM by brobin »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »

Yes. The 2413S/U are Dual band with Insteon RF and power line communications. Switching power supplies.
2412S/U older power line only communications and power transformer linear power supply.

brobin

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »

Switching power supplies.

I have my spare caps ready!  :)
I think that's why Smartenit stuck with the 2412U.

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 12:04:24 AM »

Instead, take a look at the Smartenit Harmony products that have a properly implemented and supported Alexa Skill (as well the equivalent for GH) plus Android & IOS apps and a web portal.  The basic unit, the P2, supports X10 & Insteon using a 2412 or 2413 S or U PLM as well as ZigBee devices.  The P2 connects to your network via Ethernet and only costs $50 (plus $25 for the 2412U PLM if needed).  That's at least $35 less than the WM100 and it does more.

It has a scheduler that includes accurate sunrise/sunset offsets and, while no macros per se, it has a "Micro App" feature that lets you control a group of devices as one.  Worth a look at: https://smartenit.com/product/harmony-p2/

No macros?  The description for the Smartenit App says ... The Automation Rules feature offers even more unprecedented control, allowing you to set up automatic schedules and allow devices to influence each other.  Even complex programs and scenarios can be set up through an intuitive, “If A happens, then make B happen”, framework.

brobin

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 01:36:49 AM »

Yes you can do all that quite extensively.  There are different definitions for the term 'macro' in various products and I wasn't sure what the term equates to in AHP never having used it so I used it wrong.  But to be clear, the Harmony does have extensive and flexible scheduling with just about any kind of conditional logic you can think of and does live up to its claims.  What's also nice is that X10, Insteon and ZigBee devices can all be used together seamlessly.

I just took a look at the AHP manual and it appears that X10 uses the term 'Macro' the way the Harmony uses the term 'Automation Rule.'

When I think of the term 'macro' I'm thinking in terms of the JDS Stargate where a macro is like a code library entry where a set of instructions can be called by invoking the macro within an 'event' (what AHP calls a 'Macro' and Harmony calls an 'Automation Rule') rather than recreating the same code in multiple events.  That's different than what was referred to and I apologize for the confusion.

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »

For about 15 years now I’ve been using two 1132CU’s running Smarthome Manager Plus.  The Smartenit Harmony hub looks like a good upgrade possibility.

Can the Harmony App handle nested logic with delays or timers, such as the following?

If GARAGE DOOR turns ON
   Wait 0 Minutes and 3 Seconds
      If NIGHT is ON
         Turn PORCH ON
         Wait 5 Minutes and 0 Seconds
            Turn PORCH OFF

Also, can the Harmony App do X-10 extended format, such as to turn on a SwitchLinc (using only X10, not Insteon) to a specific brightness level?

On the Smartenit website, there is a chart that compares the P2 vs G1 vs G2.  Only the G2 is listed as having “Mobile App local connectivity”.  Any idea as to exactly what this means?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:29:01 PM by x10wizard »

brobin

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »

I understand exactly what you're asking as I do the same with my Stargate.  Since I use the Harmony primarily as an X10/Alexa bridge I haven't explored all the scheduling options.  To get accurate information I've forwarded your questions to Smartenit engineering and I'll post their reply here.

The “Mobile App local connectivity” means that since the G2 has its own WiFi SSID you can connect your phone to it and control it directly with the app even if you have no internet.  The P2 does not have a WiFi radio and connects only through Ethernet.  The phone app sends everything through the mothership which talks to the P2.  Assuming you do have internet, the G2 connects to the mothership as well either using your home's WiFi or Ethernet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 06:08:56 PM by brobin »

brobin

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 01:32:55 PM »

Can the Harmony App handle nested logic with delays or timers, such as the following?

If GARAGE DOOR turns ON
      If NIGHT is ON
         Turn PORCH ON
            Turn PORCH OFF

I think I did the same thing with this example:

When ALL of these conditions are met:
    Every day when Garage Door is ON
    Every day between sunset - 20 and sunrise +10

Then do the following:
    After 3 secs, turn On Porch
    After 5 mins, turn Off Porch

I know there's a difference between IS on and TURNS on but, at least in the case of a garage door it'll probably be closed within a few minutes anyway. 

brobin

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »

I have a response from Smartenit engineering on the questions asked.  I'm going to ask a follow up about 'TURNS' vs 'IS.' What I posted earlier was pretty much in line with this (answers in blue):

FROM SMARTENIT:
"Regarding your questions:

If GARAGE DOOR turns ON
          If NIGHT is ON
             Turn PORCH ON
                Turn PORCH OFF

Yes it can, however in a different manner.  Internally the Gateway and API's have a nested logic, but we thought that presenting it in such a manner is too techy for an average user.  That's why you will notice that our Automation Rules seems much simpler. Yet they are powerful when combined with multiple conditions.
The above logic can be done in Automation Rules in following way:

When ALL conditions meet:

Conditions:

If Garage Door IS ON

If NIGHT is ON

Actions:

After 3 seconds, Turn PORCH ON

After 5 minutes, Turn PORCH OFF

Also, can the Harmony App do X-10 extended format, such as to turn on a SwitchLinc (using only X10, not Insteon) to a specific brightness level?

Sorry we do not. Currently for X10 devices we support simple OnOff and Brightness commands. 

On the Smartenit website, there is a chart that compares the P2 vs G1 vs G2.  Only the G2 is listed as having “Mobile App local connectivity”.  Any idea as to exactly what this means?" 

Local connectivity feature in the Gateway allows the Mobile App to connect directly to the Gateway (if they are in the same local area network).  When you are in a different network such as 4G or in France,  the App will connect to the Cloud services. 
What this means is, if you lose internet connection at home, the App can still talk to the Gateway while you are at home and thus you can control your devices."
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.