Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HomeGenie top and bottom black ribbons (borders) shift  (Read 4030 times)

shtckt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
HomeGenie top and bottom black ribbons (borders) shift
« on: January 07, 2020, 12:43:20 AM »

Have a phenomenon not noticed with the Pi Zero W Stretch image but is noticed with the Buster image.

As each new Group is displayed, the top banner (where the HomeGenie names is displays along with Home and Configure menu tabs) and the bottom banner shift back and forth once a second or so. Found that if window is not full screen, I can go to full screen and it quits shifting. On the other hand, if I go to another Group the shift restarts. I restore down the window and it quits again.

Does not seem to affect the HG operation but can be distracting. It does this on my HP Elitebook 8470p and my HP ENVY 700-010 Desktop PC. Both have latest Win10 Pro 64bit OS, 8gb ram, 1600 x 900 screens.

That temp and humidity reading in the upper right ribbon is nice. Noticed they shift back and forth with the HomeGenie title but the Home Configuration menu tabs do not shift. Is it possible there is something in code for temp and humidity that could be trying to write that data to a variable location in that corner?

By the way, where is the scripting for that temp and humidity. Was thinking of adding time to make a threesome.

UPDATE: Discovered it only happens going in or out of the Dashboard screen. Dashboard has the temp-humidity readout in upper right of banner.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:46:45 AM by shtckt »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: HomeGenie top and bottom black ribbons (borders) shift
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »

Haven't seen this but sounds like a bug with HG.  I doubt Gene is doing much these days, but I'd submit an issue on github.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:45:29 AM »

Haven't seen this but sounds like a bug with HG.  I doubt Gene is doing much these days, but I'd submit an issue on github.

So many different results from different web browsers with the HG web UI. Maybe experimenting with different browsers will yield interesting results. Again I have my own install and don't see similar results. Accessing via Ubuntu 18.04 LTS using Firefox

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 03:21:29 PM »

I also don't see the issue running the Windows 10 Edge browser.
The humidity value is coming from the Open Weather Program as is the temperature setting.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »

Have you tried a PC and or HG restart?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

shtckt

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:12 PM »

On my laptop, I use primarily Chrome browser but also have Firefox for accessing financial websites. Ran FF just now on HG. No change. I turn laptop off if I do not intend to use in the next hour or so. So I reboot that PC 2-3 times a day. Have restarted HG service with no change on shifting. Probably once every 10 times I reboot and fire up HG, I get all generic/unknown modules. I wait a couple minutes to see if it will clear on its own but I end up having to restart HG and it clears. I have also rebooted Pi using your patented scripts occasionally to be sure I can use all those goodies remotely (all but shutdown, that is) because I want to run this baby through the ringer to find any modes it does not like.

On desktop PC, I only use Chrome browser. Oddly, now I can not get HG banners to boogie (shift side to side) on that desktop PC. It did so when I submitted request to forum. But I do not use this PC much at all for PiHub. I have never gotten my Groups to show the dreaded generic/unknown modules.

My wife uses an almost duplicate HG 8470P laptop. Her's is all Microsoft products so it will be using IE. Tomorrow I will try it while she sleeps a bit later.

As far as the temp and humidity in top right corner of HG's Dashboard, I could tell the data came from OpenWeather because I had alternately enabled and disabled that program and watched it disappear. But I can not find where the variables(?) were scripted to get them to display in the banner.  HG's Dashboard is not listed in Programs or Widgets. I can reconfigure the name "Dashboard" as anything I want from Config-Groups-Dashboard. But that Group's format and presentation preferences do not seem to be available. I have several generations of backups for the configurations. I opened an old one (in case I messed it up) and went through several of the XML files having names that might involve the look and feel of Dashboard. Did not see anything that might lead to showing that temp and humidity.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »

The standard HG view on the Dashboard is Temperature in the top right hand corner. If you’re showing humidity too that view has been changed. Suggest you check your log files and/or run HG manually in debug mode and watch the output as you navigate HG via the browser to see what may be causing your problem.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 07:19:57 AM »

You can have the temperature and humidity display in any group just place the open weather program in that Group. The Humidity reading is not part of the Openweather program distributed with HG, that is a Change I made.
The small icons that arrear are part of HG core code, a temperature or humidity sensor will also display those Icons if the open Weather program isn't in that group. icons for lights and switches also display in any group that has one turned on.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 08:18:17 AM »

You can have the temperature and humidity display in any group just place the open weather program in that Group. The Humidity reading is not part of the Openweather program distributed with HG, that is a Change I made.
The small icons that arrear are part of HG core code, a temperature or humidity sensor will also display those Icons if the open Weather program isn't in that group. icons for lights and switches also display in any group that has one turned on.
 >!

That's one of the drawbacks for some of the members using your image. Unless you've tested and verified it in multiple browsers they may experience undesirable side effects on their display.

Another point to note. In your Module section are you seeing multiple unamed X10 Security module options building up. As you know with the random nature of X10 RF codes being transmitted by your X10 security sensors, the ones you have previously captured for each sensor may not reflect what is being used now. You will see this from the activity log. If your RF security widget state depends on this for automation purposes they will not function correctly. I'm assuming you have the modules section cleaned up before creating an image for others.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »

That's one of the drawbacks for some of the members using your image. Unless you've tested and verified it in multiple browsers they may experience undesirable side effects on their display.
It is not possible to test every possible browser and since I've not made any code changes to the HG core code it would make no difference.
Code changes that were made were to the Openweather program nothing more.

I'm assuming you have the modules section cleaned up before creating an image for others.
A module clean up was done prior to a Buster image creation.
Another reason X10 comes now disabled and must be enabled by the end user in the Buster image.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »

Probably once every 10 times I reboot and fire up HG, I get all generic/unknown modules. I wait a couple minutes to see if it will clear on its own but I end up having to restart HG and it clears.
That issue goes way back with HG  reading the old HG forum threads you'll see that.
Occasionally I get that too on one of my HG Pis. A reboot isn't required, usually clicking on the Statistics button (bottom center) and then once it loads click the home button  fixes the display
I don't believe I've ever had that issue on the HG running on my mini PC.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

shtckt

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »

A few minutes ago I wrote my findings only to find out my reply did not get entered due to another's reply was entered just before mine was entered. A forum software glitch? Or just me fumbling errantly within the forum.

Will summarize what I previously wrote....

My wife's laptop is almost a duplicate of mine. I have a fingerprint reader, bluetooth, and a cam with light. Being paranoid with hacks, I have taped over the camera lens.
Her laptop using IE ran HG flawlessly. I added Chrome and HG got the giggles. I removed Chrome so I would not get busted adulterating her machine.

Went back to my laptop. Used IE and Firefox without an HG giggle. Tried Chrome and got giggles. I had been noticing with the wonderful Status Info widget that chunks of memory were being devoured every 30 minutes or so. Noticed my Log Files were long with all kinds of superfluous entries every fraction of a second. I disabled Log File but kept Events History enabled. No more giggles. Now I just have to weight having Log Files or using Chrome. I have the latest Chrome. I would try removing it and reinstalling but with two days before going on holiday I don't dare make Chrome my next diva activity.

Tuicemen, you tease me with the mod you made with OpenWeather to add Humidity to Dashboard. I only recently realized that on the X10 Modules Group there is a power plug with the number of active modules. Like Petera mentioned, I added OpenWeather map to that Group and presto...got temp and humidity. Still looking for how temp, humidity, and active modules numbers get displayed.

MODIFIED: Thanks to all of you that took the time for comments. I am still learning Pi, HG, Linux, etc.
I can not specifically say that the Buster PiHub image is flawed. It may well just be my machine and using Chrome. Still needs more testing. It is also not a functional problem to the have the HG giggles. Everything still works. Plus, I could stop it by minimizing and maximizing the window.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:10:50 AM by shtckt »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »

Tuicemen, you tease me with the mod you made with OpenWeather to add Humidity to Dashboard. I only recently realized that on the X10 Modules Group there is a power plug with the number of active modules. Like Petera mentioned, I added OpenWeather map to that Group and presto...got temp and humidity. Still looking for how temp, humidity, and active modules numbers get displayed.
rofl I never did look into how HG places the humidity, temperature, plug+#, light+#, or other info icons in the top right.
The mod made to the OpenWeatherMap was merely to get the humidity info for my WeatherAlerter program the Icon in HG displaying was just a bonus. note the plug and light icons work for any light or switch configured in HG it isn't just X10 modules
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 10:51:25 AM »

It is not possible to test every possible browser and since I've not made any code changes to the HG core code it would make no difference.
Code changes that were made were to the Openweather program nothing more.

I'm assuming you have the modules section cleaned up before creating an image for others.
A module clean up was done prior to a Buster image creation.
Another reason X10 comes now disabled and must be enabled by the end user in the Buster image.

Unless you are building/compiling HG yourself you're never going to be making changes to the core code.

The Module Cleanup utility is still buggy so you have to do that manually in the Config file to be sure. While they may appear to have been deleted in  the UI they are still present. That's an example of where the user inherits unwanted artifacts from your setup that propagate throughout theirs. In fact someones HG backup installed on someone else's install can cripple their system.

In my opinion a fresh install of HG is the only way to guarantee your system's integrity although looking at the feedback on this forum that's not likely to happen with too many potential users as they like to be spoon fed everything. As an experiment I did help three novice users do an install from scratch and all three thankfully are up and running hence the reason for posting the Buster install instructions. I won't be doing that again anytime soon though.

The older Widget examples that were created 2016 or before were generally only created and tested using Windoze. As I mentioned earlier, different browsers yield different results. Even the same browser in different OS's yield different results hence the OP's symptom not being experienced by others. In fairness though not too many on this form will experience this running under the Linux OS so you can forget that test option.  rofl rofl

shtckt

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 11:00:23 PM »

Not entirely cured but erotic(?) giggling is from Chrome's scroll bar. If the window is slightly smaller than what HG wants to paint, the vertical scroll bars flashes on and off rapidly. Not sure why it just does not stay static but something wants it on and something wants it off. I had my scrollbars razor thin but not gone.

Previously, I had been trying to ignore it, you know, if it does not exist it will go away. Then I just sat and watched the top banner and the bottom banner to see if something was being produced subliminally. My left eye crossed over the right one and saw the flashing scrollbar. It is a nice party trick but usually no one is impressed and it leaves me with a headache.

Have researched Chrome scrollbars and found prior to my present issue Chrome 79 plus some change, the scrollbars could be hidden. Not so on present version. Saw there was a Beta Chrome 80. Almost took the bait until I saw Warning, might be UNSTABLE. Sulked off to the TV figuring I was stuck with having long page and/or wide page scrollbars giggling my HG. Not exactly what I would like to see giggle.

But, hold the shoe phone Agent 86, I did arrive at once resolution...shorten Group page/window shorter than my PC screen. Tried first to subzoom to 90%. Could get more on the screen but it did not universally behave toward a stealthy scrollbar when going from Group to Group.

So I have shorten my Dashboard by removing some modules and created another Group where I put all the nice quick actions like Memory Cleaner, Drive Cleaner,  RPi Reboot, Date/Time Reset, etc. I had already done this with my X-10 Modules and that is why their screens did not giggle.

Once again, allow Tuicemen's Buster PiHub to regain the position atop the pillar.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.