Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Are you using original X10 software

Yes still running X10WTI software (AHP)
- 4 (19%)
No I run Linux (any version including Raspbian)
- 6 (28.6%)
No I use Apple
- 0 (0%)
No I use Android
- 2 (9.5%)
No but still use Windows with a thirdparty solution.
- 9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What OS are you primarily using for your Home Automation  (Read 18677 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: What OS are you primarily using for your Home Automation
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 09:41:25 PM »

I won a job lot on an eBay auction a while back. I was the only bid and the postage cost more than the purchase price. The seller was just cleaning the house up and wanted rid of the lot.

The job lot consisted of an Ocelot, two Addicon 2500 Secu16, one Secu 16 IR. I got a hold of an old XP PC not connected to the outside world of course and fitted an RS232 header to give a genuine RS232 Com port just for convenience.

Everything tested and working but I still haven’t got round to putting them through their paces. As you say Jeff old school technology that doesn’t rely on the outside world to function and does exactly what it was designed for.....automation.

Looking forward to a closer look over the holiday period.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 06:57:14 AM »

Of course it is an old design, and doesn't provide the web or smart phone access that many people want today.
It wouldn't be that difficult to design a module that connects to the serial input and provides serial and web access as well as RF I/O. That might give your Ocelot another 20 years of life.

I had designed an ethernet/serial device about 20 years ago but, even if I could find any documentation, the chips I used have long been obsolete.

More recently, I designed a Serial/USB/WiFi/RF interface intended for the XTB-232 using all surface mount components. My health worsened plus Jeff announced he was discontinuing the XTB-232 so I never completed the project. The hardware design is completed (although untested) and it can easily be adapted to interface with any serial device such as the Ocelot. If anyone is interested in finishing development, I'll provide the hardware design specs and can even supply a handful of unpopulated PCBs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:27:49 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 10:54:22 PM »

More recently, I designed a Serial/USB/WiFi/RF interface intended for the XTB-232 using all surface mount components. My health worsened plus Jeff announced he was discontinuing the XTB-232 so I never completed the project.

We had discussed my re-working the XTB-232 PCB for surface-mount and replace the serial port with your Wifi interface.  When that fell through the XTB-232 was discontinued.  But then due to a bunch of requests I made a final batch of 50.  About 30 are left.  The schematic and parts list are on line, and I can provide the PCB Gerber files if anyone wants to continue producing it after these are gone.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.