Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raspbian Pi Update  (Read 2524 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Raspbian Pi Update
« on: February 07, 2020, 09:06:59 AM »

I happened to see this blog post this morning about a new update:   **saved off a HG config first :)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new-raspbian-update/

So I connected to my Pi and went thru the update steps (using the info in the blog and also this info: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md )

then I did a reboot and when that finished and I loaded HG again it was surprisingly faster - not sure if that was part of the update, or maybe cleaning things up and getting a reboot but the performance difference was noticeable for me.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Raspbian Pi Update
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:49:20 AM »

Nice find, you beat petera to the punch  rofl
So to be clear you did the apt full-upgrade & not created a new image on a new SD card?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:52:27 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 09:50:42 AM »

Yes, just the apt full-upgrade.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »

I've downloaded the Image and will update the PiX10Hub image to hopefully speed up the install process for newbies. This Raspbian Update may be includes some things learned from the Alfa Bullseye build as I find it much faster then the old buster image as well.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »

I only read what was in the blog and not the whole change log.  From the high level details they posted, it appears that the majority of the changes will help those using the full version (not lite) and utilize those applications mentioned.  There are some performance enhancements listed at the bottom (just a blanket statement, nothing specific).  I'd always recommend staying up to date but I'm curious to see how much this will change for the lite users (which is the majority of those using their RPi for HG).  Thanks for the heads up.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 11:55:50 AM »

I'd always recommend staying up to date but I'm curious to see how much this will change for the lite users (which is the majority of those using their RPi for HG).
For users that keep things updated I also doubt there is much changed. However Soxfan1966 did state they noticed a performance improvement. Where things will be noticed is on a fresh install the update/upgrade will be faster (for now).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 02:24:58 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 12:10:10 PM »

Tuicemen - you seem to have made me 2 years younger today :)  Thank you  (soxfan1966)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 01:27:40 PM »

Nice find, you beat petera to the punch  rofl
So to be clear you did the apt full-upgrade & not created a new image on a new SD card?

You can see from the release notes on the RPI forum the Distribution upgrade in the main refer to the Desktop version of Raspbian. Yes if anyone is using the Desktop version they will notice a change to the GUI. Outside of that if you noticed a performance increase in your Lite distribution as @soxfan1966 mentions the dist-upgrade will remove any unnecessary process that may have been running in the background. Again run this command with caution and a current sd backup image as it can so easily break your install.

@Tuicemen more importantly you may or may not have noticed the post I made on the HG forum a number of days ago https://homegenie.club/t/installation-problem/588/14  It refers to anyone like yourself maintaining a Raspbian Buster/HG image.

You do realise that the Gdebi package manager HG installer is broken for Raspbian Buster. Well I’ve discovered a number of other dependencies that are causing issue with the HG server application and have adjusted my install accordingly to reflect this. I do nightly Buster builds which pick these things up quickly

You may want to go through the the Gdebi packages relating to HG and not the Gedebi-core and see for yourself what is causing the issues. Remember the original instructions I posted for installing HG on Buster Lite was only a temporary fix until the author got around to fixing the Gdebi package installer issue.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:35:58 PM by petera »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »

Tuicemen - you seem to have made me 2 years younger today :)  Thank you  (soxfan1966)
rofl maybe a combo of fat fingers and missing my second cup of coffee, I'll fix that  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »

pertera  I did see the post, so just to confirm you do nightly builds of Buster using the latest test build of Buster?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »

pertera  I did see the post, so just to confirm you do nightly builds of Buster using the latest test build of Buster?

Yes.

One other point you may wish to note. You do not provide any form of hash key security with your image download. You do know how easy it can be for someone to manipulate your image and include malware or a rogue script. I’m not sure of the volume of downloads of your image but I do suggest you look into including an MD5 or SHA256 hash algorithm into your image for security purposes. Better to be safe than sorry.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »

Yes.
Test builds are just that test builds they are not meant for production releases this is well documented in Debian test builds are meant for developers to report issues. For someone to create and maintain an image based on test builds would be irresponsible as these builds are not for the general public. These change nightly or at least weekly. The latest release may indeed have some issues with HG and if they are exposed dealt with. The PiX10Hub image doesn't use the Gdebi package manager HG installer but installs the dependencies manually. Since you seem to have Identified issues already you may wish to  at least compare your finding with the current release build to see if they are indeed present in it. If so share with the rest of us so we know what to expect.
I've not experienced any issues with HG but that's not to say there aren't any. I'll also not waste my time looking for issues that may or may not be there and I may never experiance.

One other point you may wish to note. You do not provide any form of hash key security with your image download. You do know how easy it can be for someone to manipulate your image and include malware or a rogue script. I’m not sure of the volume of downloads of your image but I do suggest you look into including an MD5 or SHA256 hash algorithm into your image for security purposes. Better to be safe than sorry.
That is a good point and I may do that for the next build, However I doubt that would stop someone who truly wished to hack the image.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 05:05:42 PM »

Yes.
Test builds are just that test builds they are not meant for production releases this is well documented in Debian test builds are meant for developers to report issues. For someone to create and maintain an image based on test builds would be irresponsible as these builds are not for the general public. These change nightly or at least weekly. The latest release may indeed have some issues with HG and if they are exposed dealt with. The PiX10Hub image doesn't use the Gdebi package manager HG installer but installs the dependencies manually. Since you seem to have Identified issues already you may wish to  at least compare your finding with the current release build to see if they are indeed present in it. If so share with the rest of us so we know what to expect.
I've not experienced any issues with HG but that's not to say there aren't any. I'll also not waste my time looking for issues that may or may not be there and I may never experiance.

That is a good point and I may do that for the next build, However I doubt that would stop someone who truly wished to hack the image.

I said I was picking up dependencies issues through nightly builds and adjusting my install accordingly. Personally it's of no consequence to me what you are putting on that image as I wouldn't download any image for production use without some form of checksum security built in. It's just asking for trouble and as this forum is down so much without explanation I have to assume the worst.

I'm really impressed how you have become such an authority on all things Linux in such a short space of time. I suppose all of the assistance I provided to you in the early stages seems to have paid off. One word of warning though. As you pass through the life cycle of any particular distribution, running a dist-upgrade will eventually break your install. Remember the author of HG, Gene is not currently active and I managed to work out the dependency issues that allowed you and others to successfully install HG on Raspbian Buster in the first place and allowed you to create your now legendary image. rofl I'm now assuming you have acquired the skills to parse the Gdebi package installer yourself to resolve any issues that may arise.

What does surprise me is, for someone using computers for so long how you have never stumbled upon Linux in all those years. Now that does intrigue me. No doubt you will have a credible explanation. The PiX10 hub, as in X10 part is now well under way so I doubt there's any further need for any more takes on the installer. I was thinking at one stage we might be somehow treated to a Commodore64 version of your installer.m :)%

Good luck with your future endeavours HG wise  :'

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 05:44:54 PM »

I'm not new to Linux, new to running a Pi yes, I've played with Linux for several years (almost as long as I've used Windows). And played is the correct word. I never liked it and still don't no one can change that. I'm no Linux expert nor do I pretend to be one nor do I ever wish to be one. What I state about the Debian test builds is published for anyone on the internet to read.

Nightly test builds of Buster from my understanding of what I've read on the Debian Developer sites are the precursors for the Bullseye release. Issues found with those are to be reported so issues and bugs can be fixed before a public release. That being said I do run an Alfa build of Bullseye with HG and have no issues currently with it either.
I don't doubt you have found issues in test builds, I'm just stating I've not experienced any (yet) I may at some point but I don't run nightly test builds.
I hope you have reported issues you found to the Debian development team. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.