Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "New" X10 Modules and LED Support  (Read 9802 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
"New" X10 Modules and LED Support
« on: March 03, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »

I got an email from X10.com (surprise, surprise).    It is promoting their "new" X10 modules that are now claimed to be LED compatible.

I was wondering if anyone knew if that was really true.   :'

Do their "new" appliance modules no longer have that local control trickle current?

Do their "new" wall switch modules no longer use a trickle current to run their internal circuits (instead use a neutral wire)?  Remember that old 60w minimum load, in order to have enough of a trickle current?

For me, its these trickle currents which, while benign to the old incandescent bulbs, are enough to activate (illuminate) LED bulbs.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: "New" X10 Modules and LED Support
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 06:09:37 AM »

I don't see how a two wire wall switch that needed to steal power through the load. Can be totally compatible with an LED load.

If they did redesign the appliance modules with a real relay so the sensing voltages are not there. Then maybe they would be LED friendly.

Will see if I got a email from them lately.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 07:16:15 AM »

What modules are they saying are LED friendly?
Some switches and modules are and have been for some time now.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 09:01:11 AM »

From the looks of it on their website, the new switch (the WS469) is a relay switch, requires a neutral, and can act as a master for 3-way switch setups.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »

From the looks of it on their website, the new switch (the WS469) is a relay switch, requires a neutral, and can act as a master for 3-way switch setups.
I've used this switch for over a year now, it does require a neutral wire, it is very silent as are most if not all the new modules.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:35:50 AM »

What modules are they saying are LED friendly?
Some switches and modules are and have been for some time now.

Appliance Module, AM466, Wall Switch XPS4, Dimmable Wall Switch XPDi3, Wall Switch WS469, and Inline XPFM.

I know about the WS469, and even have a few.    Its the others that I am curious about.

Also, and this is an old problem, X10 likes to change or redesign a module, but not change its model number, making it difficult to tell if one has the new design or not.

Anyway, let's start with the AM466.   Does the new version (if there is indeed a new version) omit the local control feature and therefore the LED troublesome trickle current?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »

I don't have any being sold now modules.

I can tell you the CFL friendly AM466 (4/21/2010) three pin appliance modules do not have local control sensing on them, but since they still has the ratchet on off switch. There was very small sensing voltage still on the output. They maybe redesigned again with a real relay output.

XPS4,XPDI3,WS469 and XPFM need the neutral power connection. XPS4 and WS469 mention LED in their description. XPDI3 still has the minimum incandescent load in its description and no LED support listed. XPFM does not mention LED loads.

The no new part number for many of the modules. Does make it difficult to determine if you have the latest and greatest.  B:(

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:58:39 PM »

XPDI3 still has the minimum incandescent load in its description and no LED support listed.

The XPDi3, from the email, now mentions a minimum 60watt equivalent LED load.   However, a 60watt equivalent load is, what, around a 5watt real load with LED's?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »

The XPDi3, from the email, now mentions a minimum 60watt equivalent LED load.   However, a 60watt equivalent load is, what, around a 5watt real load with LED's?
[/quote] I believe it is closer to 10 watt
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 12:55:40 AM »

......"new" X10 modules that are now claimed to be LED compatible.

What difference does it make? Why would anyone use an X10 module to control an LED bulb... when you can just use a smart bulb. But... if you MUST use X10 to control a (non-switch controlled) LED bulb... I use the old non-dimming socket rocket's (LM15A).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:57:35 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »

I don't see how a two wire wall switch that needed to steal power through the load. Can be totally compatible with an LED load.

About 2 years ago I designed a small module that connects directly across the load that allows 2-wire X10 wall switches to work with dimmable CFL and LED bulbs.  It emulates the tungsten filament in an incandescent bulb, but consumes almost no power when the switch is on.  It is about the size of your thumb, and should easily fit into the electrical box for the light.  Some of those on this forum may have a prototype.  I should have another batch available after my PCB supplier gets going again.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »

...I should have another batch available after my PCB supplier gets going again.

Jeff

Just be sure to wait 14 days before opening the package.  rofl

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »

Late to the party.
I just got the email about the X10 modules and LED bulbs.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »

What difference does it make? Why would anyone use an X10 module to control an LED bulb... when you can just use a smart bulb.
My Arris modem/router can only handle 30 wireless clients. That would be a good reason to limit all the WiFi trinkets.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 08:49:33 PM »

My Arris modem/router can only handle 30 wireless clients. That would be a good reason to limit all the WiFi trinkets.

That would be a good reason to avoid wifi (or replace an outdated router)…. but why attempt to use an appliance module. Socket rockets are fine with LED's (and they don't cost much). I've even (posted) used them with plug/adapters so they work in-line with the lamp  cord.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.