Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding Alexa voice to X10-Planning from Scratch  (Read 2655 times)

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Adding Alexa voice to X10-Planning from Scratch
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »

Last year I tried to add Google voice to my small X10 system. It is just some lights controlled by a timer and some remote control pads. After months of reading and trying things, I gave up.  B:( I was using a RPI,an HA Bridge and CM17a. I tried several approaches but often I would get near the end and would discover that a service was no longer functional with version 2.0, or whatever.

I have since added a Ring doorbell camera and Alexa Echo and Dot devices with remote viewing on phone and laptop. I was not pleased with the monthly cost to use Ring, but it was a quick solution.

So, to my question. I would like to use Alexa voice commands to control X10 devices. I would prefer to avoid any cloud systems that cost $. I am OK with Linux, but really slow.  :) As I said, I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and the Alexa devices mentioned. I also have a CM19a and a CM11a. Where should I go next???  I would love to hear recommendations as to which hardware or software approach I should use. Please offer any pluses or minuses so that I can get off the fence.  :-\

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Adding Alexa voice to X10-Planning from Scratch
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 12:45:52 PM »

A fairly straightforward solution would be to install HomeGenie on your Pi3+, create your X10 devices there. Enable the UNPnP function in HomeGenie to expose your devices to the LAN. Once done download Home Remote for whatever mobile device you have http://thehomeremote.com/ Once that’s done install the UNPnP plugin in Home Remote. That should find your X10 devices. Now to finish, install the Alexa plugin in Home Remote which exposes your X10 devices to Alexa. Run Discovery and you should have Alexa control on your X10 devices.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »

If you want to keep things really simple and be up and running X10 with Alexa or Google Home "out-of-the-box" have a look at the Smartenit Harmony P2.  For $75 you get the P2 and an Insteon 2412U PLM which supports both X10 and Insteon. The P2 supports ZigBee as well.  There is an app for IOS/Android and an 'official' Alexa skill and GH support.  There is NO charge for cloud connectivity.  I've been using it for 10 months and it works perfectly. 
 In addition to Alexa/GH control it also runs schedules based on time, sunrise/sunset offsets, & other device conditions.  Everything is set up and controllable through the app.

https://smartenit.com/product/harmony-p2/

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 03:13:57 PM »

Moose, since you have a pi board and a Cm19 I would go the PiX10Hub route with HG. HA-Bridge has a helper now that easily integrates with HG for Alexa control. there also is a user created Google home program to enable HG to work with it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »

Last year I tried to add Google voice to my small X10 system. It is just some lights controlled by a timer and some remote control pads. After months of reading and trying things, I gave up.

I went with the Alexa/Amazon devices right off. I was gifted an older Pi-based Homeseer device (using a CM15A for an interface). It works fine.  And with NO monthly fee's. However many here at the forum have worked very hard to get the pi HG setup working. And since you already have a Pi.... why not give HG a try. Whatever you go with... X10 will and does integrate well with the new voice control. Don't give up.

I have since added a Ring doorbell camera and Alexa Echo and Dot devices with remote viewing on phone and laptop. I was not pleased with the monthly cost to use Ring, but it was a quick solution.

I've added a Ring motion sensor to my setup... which provides light... AND a nice Alexa voice prompt and phone alert too with NO monthly fee's.

So, to my question. I would like to use Alexa voice commands to control X10 devices. I would prefer to avoid any cloud systems that cost $.

You CAN use X10 compatible cameras that have NO FEE's (I do) but they don't back-up much video. However... if you have a "show" or one of the screened Alexa devices you can get a camera view by saying show me "the cameras name/location". Also some camera have an "on-board" memory card.... although not always the perfect solution... sometimes it is. I now use a mix of wired HD recorded, and Memory Card recorded, and well as some limited cloud video recording. All.... with NO monthly fee's.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:25:08 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Moose

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 04:22:40 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. Brobin suggestions are good, although it does require a hardware purchase.  :-\
Are there any disadvantages or restrictions for plans or enhancements down the road? Remote control and viewing via the Internet, for example? Please giove negative comments on the other guys approach, if you know of any.

The HG using the PI3+, is there a completed install script yet for that? I only noticed one involving the rasp pi zero w.

Oh, and I have not totally given up. Just shifting gears for now to Amazon and away from Google.  :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:28:32 PM »

The HG using the PI3+, is there a completed install script yet for that? I only noticed one involving the rasp pi zero w.

Oh, and I have not totally given up. Just shifting gears for now to Amazon and away from Google.  :)
there is  a image available which works for the Pi3 + however it installs the Stretch OS. I have a Buster image in the works which does a complete install and should work in any PI just burn the image and pop it in the pi and power up.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »

Please giove negative comments on the other guys approach, if you know of any.

Both approaches are good depending on what you want to do.

The HG approach is a very powerful one that lets you incorporate a lot of options beyond what the Smartenit Harmony can do.  It also requires more effort to set up and maintain.  Read the PiX10Hub threads and see how folks are using it and the effort required.

The Smartenit Harmony options give you an off-the-shelf, low effort option for just interfacing what you have with Alexa/GH or you can go further and use it as your primary controller as well.  You mentioned you only have a few X10 devices that you want on timers so this might be the easiest option albeit you'll have to spend a little money.

Since you already have the RPi and a CM19 in hand it'll cost you nothing but some time to try HG and see if if you like it.  If you feel like it's more effort than you want to make you can always pick up the Smartenit Harmony.

There's no wrong answer, just options.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »

You can even try HG on Windows as it is a native Windows program.
If you like it and wish to move your setup to your pi that is as simple as backing up your HG configuration and moving it to the pi HG
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »

…. I have a Buster image in the works which does a complete install and should work in any PI just burn the image and pop it in the pi and power up.

I'll give the Buster image a try myself when you have that ready.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »

….. Are there any disadvantages or restrictions for plans or enhancements down the road? Remote control and viewing via the Internet, for example? Please giove negative comments on the other guys approach, if you know of any.

Unfortunately.... the one, single, ONLY, positive with Home Automation right now... IMHO is Amazon's involvement.

X10 does NOT (and may never) work fully and completely with todays HA technologies. X10 just wasn't designed to report it's status like today WiFi tech does. So whereas you can recover the utilization of X10 as-it-was. It will never be what other technologies are now. 

Many of the new brands of WiFi tech (or at lease the cheaper ones). May stop functioning the minute they stop making profit. That minute could happen tomorrow, after lunch (or never... it's a crap shoot).

The NO MONTHLY FEE variety of Home Automation.... depends on an antiquated business model. I don't have a crystal ball or anything. But my guess is if I bought a crystal ball... I'd still need a monthly subscription which would require a credit card number and automatic billing... for it to work. Great home automation is a "service"... service has always been pay-to-play.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 08:36:09 AM »

Last year I tried to add Google voice to my small X10 system. It is just some lights controlled by a timer and some remote control pads. After months of reading and trying things, I gave up.  B:( I was using a RPI,an HA Bridge and CM17a. I tried several approaches but often I would get near the end and would discover that a service was no longer functional with version 2.0, or whatever.

While I wait for my Echo dot ver. 1 to see if that solves my Alexa issues, it is interesting to note that I ended up down a similar rabbit hole to last year.  :'(Something I was trying to avoid. I also spent an extra $300.:(

I have been rereading the suggestions here to  assess my options. I downloaded the Home Remote that petera suggested, (http://thehomeremote.com/) "...Once that’s done install the UNPnP plugin in Home Remote. That should find your X10 devices." I am stuck here. I cannot find a way to install a plugin. There is a "UPNP" in Add a New Device, but it finds nothing. Thoughts?

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »

Home Remote is only a front end to access HG and ultimately Alexa. HG needs to have the correct endpoints identified for it to work with Alexa. The program HG EchoBridge in its current state will not work with Alexa. It is possible to modify this program if you have the requisite C# programming skills. Exposing HG via UnPNP by itself is not a solution either.

Amazon are constantly changing how Alexa interacts with networks so if you don’t have the necessary programming skills to make the changes as and when they occur and want a reliable Alexa setup I suggest looking at some of the commercial options on the market. Basically when it comes to emulators they work one week and stop working the next. I’m assuming you’ve seen this when reading through the HA Bridge GitHub. It costs a developer money to create and maintain a registered Alexa skill.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 10:24:40 PM »

Last year I tried to add Google voice to my small X10 system. It is just some lights controlled by a timer and some remote control pads. After months of reading and trying things, I gave up.

Moose.... can I suggest a work-around. Leave the lights on the timers and remote... as they have been. And move-on.

Setup a separate Alexa and/or google controlled setup.... maybe a more media centric version of Home Automation. I think you'll find (as I have) that you can run several different automation protocols just fine. Maybe later you can integrate your X10... or continue to enjoy it as is. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.