Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another X10 eBay goodie bag  (Read 2096 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Another X10 eBay goodie bag
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:41:14 PM »

Just taken delivery of a mixed bag of X10 equipment won on an eBay auction for the equivalent of $30. Wasn't holding out much hope as it was described as "equipment removed from an installation and untested". Outside of the usual lamp and switch modules and some remotes a number of X10 security sensors were included (very useful for automation purposes obviously).

A real surprise was two items labelled XPTT and XPTR. On further investigation it appeared that these were solely for the North American market yet had a three pin UK/Euro plug attached to the flying lead and being in the 220v world I was surprised to see them included.

Out of curiousity I followed the instructions as per this link http://site.electricsuppliesonline.com/documents/x10/xptt_xptr.pdf and lo and behold the items worked as per the instructions. I did a quick check of the power lines to check signal strength and everything checked out ok. It was firing off the on/off P1 signal and the lamp module responded accordingly.

Obviously this is X10 Pro equipment but I see nowhere that there was ever a UK/Euro version of this equipment manufactured. @JeffVoip do you know if this was in fact the case. Anyway as it happens I now have a very useful piece of equipment in the bag at a fraction of its original cost. I noted somewhere that this equipment was being rented out at $7.50 per week back in the day.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:00:01 PM by petera »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Another X10 eBay goodie bag
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »

That brings back memories.  They were originally made by X10 and sold under the Leviton DHC brand.  After 35 years I still have those in my testing arsenal though they've been idle for many years.  Back then that was the only option for testing.  Over the years I've accumulated more testers from Elk, Lynx, ACT and Monterey before Jeff's excellent XTBM Pro came out.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »

That brings back memories.  They were originally made by X10 and sold under the Leviton DHC brand.  After 35 years I still have those in my testing arsenal though they've been idle for many years.  Back then that was the only option for testing.  Over the years I've accumulated more testers from Elk, Lynx, ACT and Monterey before Jeff's excellent XTBM Pro came out.

Unfortunately Jeff’s XTBM is of no use to me (120v only). I’m really puzzled at these two items though. I can find nothing about them working in 220v world. Maybe Jeff could shine some light.

brobin

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »

Since X10 produced a full line of modules for the 220v world it wouldn't surprise me if they they had a 220v version of the tester... or maybe someone modified it.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 04:10:45 PM »

Since X10 produced a full line of modules for the 220v world it wouldn't surprise me if they they had a 220v version of the tester... or maybe someone modified it.

A mod is exactly what I was thinking. The outer casing points to a 120v unit in both cases.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 04:16:54 PM »

Unfortunately Jeff’s XTBM is of no use to me (120v only). I’m really puzzled at these two items though. I can find nothing about them working in 220v world. Maybe Jeff could shine some light.

I'm familiar with the 120V 60Hz versions of the XPTT and XPTR, but I have no information on 220V versions of those devices.

FYI, I did offer 220V 50Hz versions of the XTBM and XTBM-Pro, and there are some of them out there.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:18:41 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:29:21 PM »

I'm familiar with the 120V 60Hz versions of the XPTT and XPTR, but I have no information on 220V versions of those devices.

FYI, I did offer 220V 50Hz versions of the XTBM and XTBM-Pro, and there are some of them out there.

Yes you mentioned you had produced a 220v version of your unit but I never found one.

Somebody has definitely modded these units. Clearly they wouldn’t work or function as they do plugged into a 220v supply. Now the question is, who carried out the mod.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:10:54 AM by petera »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 08:05:58 PM »

Interesting to see this listing on Amazon for the XPTR for $128. https://www.amazon.com/XPTR-Signal-Strength-Indicator-Receiver/dp/B00EW9PNS4 I wonder what the XPTT retailed for. It certainly wasn’t the type of equipment the standard X10 user had in the bag. Still haven’t managed to track down anyone who was modding this equipment for the Euro/UK 220v markets so the mystery continues.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »

Something a little more sophisticated for the UK/Euro market 220v but I imagine would achieve the same results https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/marmitek-xanurahome-pmix35-programming-and-measuring-interface/

brobin

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »

Interesting to see this listing on Amazon for the XPTR for $128. https://www.amazon.com/XPTR-Signal-Strength-Indicator-Receiver/dp/B00EW9PNS4 I wonder what the XPTT retailed for. It certainly wasn’t the type of equipment the standard X10 user had in the bag. Still haven’t managed to track down anyone who was modding this equipment for the Euro/UK 220v markets so the mystery continues.

IIRC, the pair cost me about $150 in 1985 dollars. Pricey at the time but helped me solve problems for years. Still works!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »

IIRC, the pair cost me about $150 in 1985 dollars. Pricey at the time but helped me solve problems for years. Still works!

Yes they certainly have the 80’s retro feel about them. Big and blocky but as you say they still do the job like most standalone X10 equipment.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »

If they wanted to make it full on 80's feel, they'd add the faux wood sticker like was installed on my Maxi Controller.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »

If they wanted to make it full on 80's feel, they'd add the faux wood sticker like was installed on my Maxi Controller.

I’ll get some of that faux Formica covering to give it the real deal. As test equipment goes it certainly wouldn’t fit in your back pocket.  rofl

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »

oooh, just make sure that vintage formica is asbestos free!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »

We are nuts. I love you guys.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.