Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WINK gives users one week to start paying - OR ELSE!  (Read 1417 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
WINK gives users one week to start paying - OR ELSE!
« on: May 09, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »

WINK Hub users who bought their cloud dependent hubs with the promise - printed right on the box - of no monthly fees got a shock this week when they were told that they had no more than 7 days - in the middle of a pandemic - to sign up and pay a $4.95 per month fee if they want to continue using their cloud based hubs.  No Pay - No Play!  NO Local control.  For those who think local control is an obsolete paradigm perhaps it's time to reconsider.  I know WINK users are.   :'
Cloud assisted control - like Alexa/GH - but cloud dependency? Tin foil hat or not - No Thanks!

Giving users just one week to pay up rather than even a nominal 30 day notice, ensures that most users will pay up at least for a month or two till they switch to something else like Hubitat or HomeSeer. 

https://www.techhive.com/article/3542631/wink-users-revolt-following-its-sudden-shift-to-a-subscription-model.html

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: WINK gives users one week to start paying - OR ELSE!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 01:32:23 PM »

Well, just another reason to stay away from cloud based systems.  Kind of surprising as I thought Wink was pretty big.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »

Well, just another reason to stay away from cloud based systems.  Kind of surprising as I thought Wink was pretty big.
It's apparently changed hands a few of times and is now owned by rapper will.i.am. Yes, really.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »

It's apparently changed hands a few of times and is now owned by rapper will.i.am. Yes, really.
No, no, no, I can't take it. sides hurt so bad.  rofl rofl rofl rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.