Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some serious help with Buster 4  (Read 2710 times)

bobbyds1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need some serious help with Buster 4
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »

Hi all I am new to Raspberry pi. I just purchased a Raspberry pi 4 with 4 Gig. I have installed the Buster version 4 on my pi unit I have every thing configured as far as wifi which i would actually like to change to wired ethernet but dont know how tp. also configured is homegenie with all my X10 devices they all turn on and off. Ha-bridge is set-up all x10 devices turn on and off. But my problem is I cant get alexa to discover new devices. it says no new devices can be found. This is where I need Help Please.Also being new I would like to be able to get to the main screen of rasperian But dont know how as i would like to use a bluetooth keyboard instead of a wired one. Just to let you know I am using a google mesh router please take that into consideration.

Thank you

I am looking foward to all the help I can get.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:03:35 AM by bobbyds1 »

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Need some serious help with Buster 4
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »

Hi all I am new to Raspberry pi. I just purchased a Raspberry pi 4 with 4 Gig. I have installed the Buster version 4 on my pi unit I have every thing configured as far as wifi which i would actually like to change to wired ethernet but dont know how tp. also configured is homegenie with all my X10 devices they all turn on and off. Ha-bridge is set-up all x10 devices turn on and off. But my problem is I cant get alexa to discover new devices. it says no new devices can be found. This is where I need Help Please.Also being new I would like to be able to get to the main screen of rasperian But dont know how as i would like to use a bluetooth keyboard instead of a wired one. Just to let you know I am using a google mesh router please take that into consideration.

Thank you

I am looking foward to all the help I can get.

Just a couple of questions.

1. I assume you used the image here to do your installation.

2. Just plug in your Ethernet cable from your router to your Raspberry Pi. It should automatically connect to wired. Have you tried this

3. Have you tried to SSH into your Pi from another computer to do your configuration. I assume so as you have everything set up. If so have you enabled the GUI. This will give you access to the Pi locally. Obviously you will need a screen, HDMI cable and some form of keyboard/mouse to navigate the screen.

Maybe a little more info on where you are at now will help to get you connected locally via wired LAN.

bobbyds1

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »

How do I access the GUI you will have to forgive me as I am new to pi and Linux. And I am running the Buster 4 image which is set to go right into homegenie and ha bridge.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 08:20:06 AM »

How do I access the GUI you will have to forgive me as I am new to pi and Linux. And I am running the Buster 4 image which is set to go right into homegenie and ha bridge.

Firstly, you’ll get no real benefit from installing the Raspbian GUI and will use additional space on your SD card but if for some reason you feel you need it just follow these simple instructions from this link. It’s vital you take an image of your working SD card BEFORE you start this procedure. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/diyprojects.io/install-pixel-desktop-raspbian-stretch-lite-10-essential-software-raspberry-pi-3/

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »

As petera stated you'll get no real benifit with the GUI. That is one reason it was inincluded in the image. The other reasons were  card memory consumtion and performace with older pi boards. The pi 4 will certainly handle running a GUI without affecting performace of HG or the Bridge.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bobbyds1

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:33:43 AM »

I dont need the Gui but in a previous post I was asked if i could access it.  I just need help to use an ethernet cable and give it a static ip address and is it possible to use a blutooth keyboard instead of a wired one. and most importantly getting alexa to work with it please keep in mind i am using a google mesh router if anyone is familiar with this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:38:50 AM by bobbyds1 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »

Setting up a bluetooth keyboard should be possile though I don't  have pne to try. I believe bluetooth is disabled by default and may even need additional drivers. Petera would know more about the pi 4.
There is a HA-Bridge tutorial which should help with getting Alexa working. http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30664.0
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 12:28:41 PM »

If the tutorial still doesn't result in Alexa discovering your devices check the HA-Bridge readme and post a issues thread specifying your router. Your more likely to find someone there that has the bridge working with that router and Alexa.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 03:57:43 PM »

There’s absolutely no need for the GUI when using HG. Any configuration you need carry out on HG can be done remotely from your Windows machine via PuTTY. A quick Google search will yield all you need to know about configuring Ethernet and a static IP address https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/configuration/provide-raspberry-pi-with-a-static-ip-address/ or https://www.instructables.com/id/Configuring-the-Raspberry-Pi-ethernet-port-for-rem/

bobbyds1

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »

well i finally got it working it seems googles mesh routers upnp dont play to nicely with other devices. but one last thing if you guys could help me with is from the buster image how can i get to raspbians desktop enviroment so I can enable bluetooth. 

Thank you

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 06:48:12 AM »

You do not need the desktop to configure BT in fact the desktop tool for doing it is a bit flakey (so I've read) this artical explains how to setup BT and if the software is missing how to
 install it. https://www.digikey.ca/en/maker/blogs/raspberry-pi-wi-fi-bluetooth-setup-how-to-configure-your-pi-4-model-b-3-model-b  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dkbialik

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 07:16:22 PM »

Hello, I experienced a blackout that corrupted the SD card in my pi.  What is the default login and password to the Buster image?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 08:05:50 PM »

Try this:

Nov 25, 2022 — The default username and password for Raspbian buster images is pi and raspberry

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2023, 08:06:20 AM »

That sounds correct.
It has not changed in a very long time. Over many Pi models and Software versions.
As posted on the Raspberry Pi web site.

dkbialik

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2023, 04:33:49 PM »

thank you.  I had just found my notes.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.