Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bricked X10 WiFi  (Read 3547 times)

lrn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Bricked X10 WiFi
« on: April 11, 2020, 04:30:47 PM »

I recently switched to a new router and have run into a major problem.  In an attempt to configure the X10 WiFi to the new router I went through the X10 WiFi app's Setup procedure.  I did a factory reset and ran the Setup wizard.  I immediately got a WARNING 5G WiFi network connected.  Please use 2.4G network for WM100 connection.  It has the correct router name and I supplied it with the correct password so it could connect to the router.  Following the instructions from the app I pressed the button on the hub for t hree second until it started to blink then I pressed CONNECT on my phone.  The message Connecting the X10 WiFi  HUB with your WiFi router... One moment...    The next thing that happen after a few moments was I got a message: ERROR Connection Failed!  Please make sure the password is correct and the LED on the HUB is flashing before pressing the "CONNECT" button.  There are several other devices on the router that also required 2.4G and I am having no problem with them.

The password is correct and the LED was flashing, so why will it not connect?  At this point I can not use the HUB at all, it is completely brinked and useless which is a major problem for me.  This seem to be the only support offered fore this product, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Bricked X10 WiFi
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:05:32 PM »

The wm100 connects to your phone during setup and this must be set to 2ghz many phones default to 5ghz.  Double check that your phone hasn't reverted to using 5ghz.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lrn

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »

Thanks, I have a Note9 running Android 10 and it is connected to 5G, but I cannot seem to find a way to change it.  From what I can see on the WEB there should be an option to change the frequency, but it does not seem to exist on my phone.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 07:15:48 AM »

In your network settings you should beable to sellect accessable networks and switch to them. See if it will see &connect to your 2ghz network. You may have to disable temporarily your 5ghz network so your note9 sees the 2ghz network.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 02:35:01 PM »

Thanks, I have a Note9 running Android 10 and it is connected to 5G, but I cannot seem to find a way to change it.  From what I can see on the WEB there should be an option to change the frequency, but it does not seem to exist on my phone.

When you set up your router did you set unique SSID's for 2.4 & 5G? Some routers do that automatically.  For example, the 2.4 SSID might be 'myplace' and the 5g SSID might be 'myplace_A' so you can see both on the WiFi list on your phone.

Here's some screenshots from my ASUS router:

brobin

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »

Once the SSID's are set up that way it will look like this in your WiFi settings page on your phone. Mine is a Galaxy S10 so the Note 9 should look pretty much the same so you can choose which one to use.

lrn

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »

First I wanted to thank everyone for their response to my issue.  This is I am afraid is more complicated than your solutions.  First of all the Orbi mesh router, although has both 2.4G and 5G support, it does not shows up as two different networks, so you cannot select a 2.4G network (of course that would be too easy  B:(.  I attempted to solved the issue from the phones perspective (Note9 Samsung) which was essentially the solutions you all have suggested turned not to work.

Instead, I had to address this from router perspective.  This solution turns out to be a bit bizarre,  but ultimately, worked.   It was necessary to go into the routers configuration screen's advanced settings.  There I was able find setting for both 2.4G and 5G frequencies.  With my router it is possible to set the signal strength for 5G which was set to 100% and set it to the lower power setting which was 25%.  I then reselected the network and since my  phone will pick up the strongest signal associated with the Orbi64 network which was now the 2.4G the phone used the 2.4G connection.  I know this seems a bit hocus pocus, but it worked and the phone is now running on the 2.4G network and therefore works with the X10 WiFi hub.

Thanks again for your efforts to help me resolve this issue, I am documenting this in the hope that if anyone should run into this in the future it might save a few sleepless nights. 8)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »

First I wanted to thank everyone for their response to my issue.  This is I am afraid is more complicated than your solutions.  First of all the Orbi mesh router, although has both 2.4G and 5G support, it does not shows up as two different networks, so you cannot select a 2.4G network (of course that would be too easy  B:(.  I attempted to solved the issue from the phones perspective (Note9 Samsung) which was essentially the solutions you all have suggested turned not to work.

Instead, I had to address this from router perspective.  This solution turns out to be a bit bizarre,  but ultimately, worked.   It was necessary to go into the routers configuration screen's advanced settings.  There I was able find setting for both 2.4G and 5G frequencies.  With my router it is possible to set the signal strength for 5G which was set to 100% and set it to the lower power setting which was 25%.  I then reselected the network and since my  phone will pick up the strongest signal associated with the Orbi64 network which was now the 2.4G the phone used the 2.4G connection.  I know this seems a bit hocus pocus, but it worked and the phone is now running on the 2.4G network and therefore works with the X10 WiFi hub.

Thanks again for your efforts to help me resolve this issue, I am documenting this in the hope that if anyone should run into this in the future it might save a few sleepless nights. 8)

I don’t own a WM100 but most routers will give you an option to disable one or the other of the two frequencies. Obviously your router doesn’t allow this.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »

Yes I see what you had to do. A bit messy but it worked for you https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Disable-5ghz-on-Orbi/td-p/1655445

brobin

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »

lrn

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

Thanks this is an interesting dialog for separating the 2,4G from 5G so they show up as to separate networks.  I get the impression that the Orbi was designed to show only 5G to avoid issues during switching for things like WiFi calling.  I will have to try it at some point to see if it will work for me.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.