🛡Home Security > Problems and Troubleshooting

PH508 Failure

(1/3) > >>

gkamieneski:
I have had a PH508 plugged into an outlet in my garage ceiling for at least 10 years. Yesterday it went berserk on its own with a very loud buzzing noise, but not its usual alarm sound. I had to flip the breaker to be able to put the stepladder up to remove the PH508.

Now, plug it into any outlet and it immediately starts the large buzzing alarm. Certainly didn't reset itself.

Anyone have any thoughts or is it time for the trash?

brobin:
You could open it up and look for something obvious like insect remains or just get a new one for about 20 bucks in ebay.

Brian H:
Loud Buzz or Hum.
Probably a power supply electrolytic capacitor has dried up.
If you are handy you could probably replace them. I would do all if I did attempt a fix.
At ten years old. Other parts maybe getting close to failing. New one maybe the best choice.

gkamieneski:
Thanks, all.

Didn't know that something that sits dormant for so long could actually wear out, especially the electronics, but I see your point.

brobin:

--- Quote from: gkamieneski on June 09, 2020, 03:28:22 PM ---Thanks, all.

Didn't know that something that sits dormant for so long could actually wear out, especially the electronics, but I see your point.

--- End quote ---

Electrolytic caps are the culprit in so many devices as they age.  Between age and heat they dry out and/or actually bulge and pop. The + embossed on the top of the cap provides a weak point to let the 'magic smoke' out.  A lot of manufacturers use caps that are undersized like a 10 volt (wvdc) cap where a 16 volt one would likely last years longer.  I used to use ReplayTV DVR's and everyone one of them blew the same 2200uf 10wvdc cap in their power supplies.  Once replaced with 2200uf 16wvdc caps they lasted for years before I moved on to TIVO units.  The Insteon Smart Hubs are famous for their C7 capacitor failure - again, an upsized cap solved the issue. 

With just pennies in cost difference I never understood why that's done... or maybe I do.  :'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version