Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Help me unfustrate with my MT14. I think. Please  (Read 12027 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Help me unfustrate with my MT14. I think. Please
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »

thank you
I do not believe that I have a security setting on that code 8 because:
1. I do not see security displayed on the screen in the prog mode
2. Even if I was, it states that the random times occur within an hour of the programmed time. I have it set to come on at 6:30pm, and the lights have been coming on at random times before 2pm.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »

Understood.  So the next thing to try is unplugging the MT-14 and wait to see if the light misbehaves again.  If it does then we know the MT14 is not the cause and we can concentrate our efforts elsewhere.

Questions:

What kind of bulb is controlled by unit code 8?  If it's an older incandescent or halogen bulb perhaps the filament is arching causing the switch to turn on.

Can you try a new light bulb?

Have you tried a different Unit code too?

nabril15

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2021, 04:04:08 PM »

Understood. Number 8 controls 14 led bulbs in landscape lighs.
I changed it to code 7 earlier, and they came on as well.

brobin

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2021, 04:16:41 PM »

Understood. Number 8 controls 14 led bulbs in landscape lighs.
I changed it to code 7 earlier, and they came on as well.

OK, since you've changed the house and unit codes for testing I think it's fair to say that the MT14 is not the source of the problem.  That takes us to the switch and the load (the LED bulbs).  Another controller could be sending spurious codes but since you've changed the codes on the XP3 that's pretty much ruled out too.

Are the LED bulbs powered by a transformer/power supply or wired directly to 120 volts? 

Is the XP3 controlling an outlet or hardwired circuit?

If the landscape lights are plugged into an outlet controlled by the XP3, then I'd unplug them and plug in a plain old lamp with an incandescent bulb and observe.

nabril15

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2021, 04:19:04 PM »

thanks br
the xps3 is controlling lights in hard-wired lamps directly to 110v.
since i changed the house code to B, they havent come on.

brobin

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2021, 04:37:33 PM »

What was the original House code?

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2021, 04:47:11 PM »

Did you unplug all your RF equipment and test the MT14 in isolation. Do the same with your RF equipment. Unplug the MT14 and test the RF equipment. Plug in plugged in the transceiver and test on/off with the remote.

brobin

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2021, 04:57:01 PM »

Since he's still having the problem after changing the House and Unit codes on the switch I think it's safe to say it's not a controller issue.  Another way to test that is to plug a lamp into an appliance module set to the same house and unit code as the XPS3 and see if both come on or only the XPS3.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2021, 04:57:43 PM »

Here’s something for the non technical X10’ user that gives a simple insight into all things X10. You might find it useful https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/smart-home-hacks/0596007221/ch01.html

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 05:03:52 PM »

Since he's still having the problem after changing the House and Unit codes on the switch I think it's safe to say it's not a controller issue.  Another way to test that is to plug a lamp into an appliance module set to the same house and unit code as the XPS3 and see if both come on or only the XPS3.

That’s why I suggested separating the the two systems. Test the timer first PLC, the test the transceiver and remotes separately RF. I wonder if there’s more than one transceiver operating here.

nabril15

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2021, 09:02:47 PM »

@petera and @brobin

thanks a lot for all of your help. I will continue with this tomorrow or saturday.

For now, I say good night by sharing that even though I left the code on the xps3 as B7, the lights were on when I came home from the second job. And no one turned them on manually.

Mrs Tery

brobin

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2021, 09:22:21 PM »

Given that you have no controllers set to send signals to B7 I'm convinced that this problem is somehow related to the XPS3 being activated by some activity in the landscape light power supply.  These types of transformers can generate all kinds of mischief particularly as they get older.  To prove this theory, you could disconnect the landscape lights from the switch and test with a test socket and bulb like this one:  https://amzn.to/375zGxW

nabril15

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »

Given that you have no controllers set to send signals to B7 I'm convinced that this problem is somehow related to the XPS3 being activated by some activity in the landscape light power supply.  These types of transformers can generate all kinds of mischief particularly as they get older.  To prove this theory, you could disconnect the landscape lights from the switch and test with a test socket and bulb like this one:  https://amzn.to/375zGxW

Thanks br
My landscape lights, however, do not have a transformer. All of them are 110v lamps with led bulbs.

brobin

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2021, 09:34:37 PM »

My guess then is that at least one of them is causing the problem.  You could try replacing one bulb with an incandescent bulb and see if that helps and if not, leave the incandescent in place and unscrew all of them.  If the incandescent behaves then you know you have a failing LED and then need to figure out which one through process of elimination.  How old are the LED bulbs?

nabril15

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:28 PM »

My guess then is that at least one of them is causing the problem.  You could try replacing one bulb with an incandescent bulb and see if that helps and if not, leave the incandescent in place and unscrew all of them.  If the incandescent behaves then you know you have a failing LED and then need to figure out which one through process of elimination.  How old are the LED bulbs?

a few of the bulbs are from the original installation from 3 years ago or so, and others have been replaced as they've failed.
This is bizarre to comprehend Br.
I guess if X10 worked absolutely perfectly ALL THE TIME, it wouldn't be as fun and quirky as it is, wouldn't it??
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.