Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Help me unfustrate with my MT14. I think. Please  (Read 12186 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Help me unfustrate with my MT14. I think. Please
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »

I hate to say but my X10 setup works 99% of the time. Once the hardware has been ruled out just look at the controller. Always best to strip your setup down to the bare minimum and test each unit individually and then add back till you find the problem. Unlike others here I’m still 100% X10 and still have great faith in it. My control of X10 is way past what it was originally designed for but like an old friend I can generally always rely on it. Don’t worry we will get you there.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2021, 10:39:06 PM »

Well remember that X10 was invented in the 70's - almost 50 years ago! - long before LED lighting was even a concept. How many other 50 year old tech products are still relevant today?  I'm anxious to hear how your testing goes. I have a feeling we're zeroing in on a solution.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2021, 10:55:49 PM »

Well remember that X10 was invented in the 70's - almost 50 years ago! - long before LED lighting was even a concept. How many other 50 year old tech products are still relevant today?  I'm anxious to hear how your testing goes. I have a feeling we're zeroing in on a solution.

Exactly my point. It’s simplicity is it’s strongest point. I exploit it to the limit and it’s still up to any challenge I throw at it. I wouldn’t still be using if it wasn’t. Other contenders have come and gone but old faithful is still with us. Such a pity the manufacturers don’t see it that way. Their loss not mine.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2021, 06:34:23 AM »

My small installation is Insteon with a Primary address in all of them. So I can use an HR12A remote to control them at different times.
ISY994i for set times and the HR12A for random times. It is around 99% with X10.
Two things in my favor. JVDE XTB-IIR repeater coupler blasting over 10 Volt X10 signals all over the home and a WGL V572A all X10 codes receiver into the XTB-IIRs TW523 emulation jack. Lowest X10 signal with a XTBM in my home is around 1.25 Volts of X10 signal.

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »

Good morning..
That is a valid point BR. It's still pretty robust and going strong. And the geek in all of us thrives on the troubleshooting steps that it takes to figure out an issue.

This morning's update:
I confirmed that the xps3 is set to house code B and 7. My wife mentioned that they were on when she came down this morning after I manually turned them off last night.  An hour or so later, I saw them come back on again, but a visit from the Dish technician distracted me from my x10 duties.

I have unplugged the rr501, and since then, they have not come on. In light of the behavior that I've seen, I think that I might have to do the bulb by bulb approach that Peter Cetera suggested. Maybe one of those LED bulbs is causing some sort of something.

Or
I can switch it back to A8, and set my lamp module also to A8 to see if both come on, as was suggested previously. And maybe this will tell us something we don't know.

Ain't this fun??
But, I continue to truly appreciate everyone's help.

brobin

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »

The most frustrating part of troubleshooting this is that you have to sit around and wait to see if it happens again having no idea how long it should take to 'prove' a test!

nabril15

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »

The most frustrating part of troubleshooting this is that you have to sit around and wait to see if it happens again having no idea how long it should take to 'prove' a test!

precisely.
my home office consists of me sitting at the dining table with my back to the patio. Every X seconds, I have to lean forward , and look behind my right side to see if the little mushroom lights under the tree are on. The other lights point up, so I can't tell if they're on.
My left abs are rock solid!!

brobin

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »

precisely.
my home office consists of me sitting at the dining table with my back to the patio. Every X seconds, I have to lean forward , and look behind my right side to see if the little mushroom lights under the tree are on. The other lights point up, so I can't tell if they're on.
My left abs are rock solid!!

You need a rear view mirror on your table!  :'

nabril15

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »

you're very @ss tute BR. Clever indeed.

brobin

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »

you're very @ss tute BR. Clever indeed.
Hopefully no one's around when @ss tutes! rofl

nabril15

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »

Hopefully no one's around when @ss tutes! rofl

again, clever indeed.

The taunting by the xps3 continues. With the rr501 unplugged they lit. With it plugged, they lit.
It's as though, the xps3 has it for me. Or, quite possibly, there is a line of ants inside of it that are making a neutrally voltaic connection.
Or a lizard has been pushing that switch lid to spite me for some reason.

brobin

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »

As I mentioned last night, I am firmly convinced that this has nothing to do with any of your controllers but is a bad bulb or bulbs messing with your XPS3 and your head.  B:( Start by replacing just one bulb with an incandescent and if that doesn't work take them all out and add back one at a time.

nabril15

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 09:18:49 PM »

@Brian H gave me a good idea to remove the lights from the switch so as to confirm if the bulbs are causing issues or the switch. Before messing with the 15 bulbs, I will explore this approach of removing the wires that feed the light fixtures.
I will remove both black load wires to the 2 light feeds, and I should probably remove the whites as well, correct? So as to completely isolate the 2 fixture circuits.

brobin

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2021, 10:58:40 PM »

Just the black wires will be fine. Let us know what you find.

nabril15

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »

Well, there is my pesky xps3 without line wires.
My abs get to take a break from having to look for the lights being on. But now I'll have to walk over to said xps3 to see if the red light is on.
I did not see the lizard that I suspected all along...

I tried to attach a picture, but it's too big.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.