Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Harmony P2. Help  (Read 22256 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Harmony P2. Help
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2021, 04:37:41 PM »

I was however interested to read how the Harmony equipment integrates into a system like this.

I look at the P2 as an HA "Swiss Army Knife" as it bridges multiple systems. I can use not only Alexa, but X10, Insteon and ZigBee devices interchangeably as needed even controlling one with the other.  The Insteon Open/Close sensor turns on an X10 chime and could turn on a ZigBee (Ikea or Hue) bulb.

It was really the X10 side of this that interested me. I’ve all the other protocols sorted out. Am I correct in saying that the Harmony hub is doing X10 via IP in this case.

X10 (and Insteon) transmit & receive to/from the P2 is done through the PLM via USB essentially the same way as the PiHG uses a CM15A or as a Stargate/Ocelot/et al uses a TW523.  The P2 also has a built in ZigBee radio for those devices.  IP is used for cloud connectivity for Alexa and the Smartenit server for app connection and messaging.  If the IP connection is interrupted programmed Automation Rules will still execute so my package drop scenario will still work without IP.

This has me intrigued. Is this the unit you are using https://smartenit.com/shop/zbplm/   If not could you attach the link for the one you are.

No, the one you linked to adds ZigBee to the PLM but is superfluous as the P2 itself has it's own ZigBee radio built in. So if all you want is ZigBee control you don't need any PLM and the $39.95 P2 is all you'd buy.

The PLM for X10/Insteon is the $20 upgrade which adds the Insteon 2412U or EZIOComm (their branding of the 2412U) which is an excellent price since they sell the EZIComm alone for $80! They also sell the 2412U on ebay: ebay.to/3a1cVNv
 https://smartenit.com/shop/ezicomm/

So to recap:  The P2 has ZigBee built in for $39.95. You select "Add Insteon/X10 with powerline only PLM" for X10 control for an additional $20.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:40:19 PM by brobin »

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 04:53:56 PM »

So unfortunately the lockup issue just happened again.  The Smartenit app appears to reflect what it thinks the action was and the state of the device, but nothing happens on the PLM.  No led light flash or anything.

I unplugged the USB cable from the P2, waited 10 seconds and then plugged it back in.  Used teh Smartent app and turned the same device on and then off and it worked (Smarenit app shows green circle aroung item when its on etc) and the led light on the PLM flashed too.

So back at step 1 I guess.  Not sure what the deal is.  Bad PLM maybe ?

By any chance do you use an X10 security panel in your setup.

Nope.   Also, I swapped the USB cable from my PiX20Hub (I forgot when I changed to the Pi 3b+ is uses a full usb cable and not the micro one) with the cable I had on the P2.

I tried a command for an x10 device from each and both worked so will see how things go over night and into tomorrow.

brobin

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »

Glad you found the cable.  The next time it happens (hope it doesn't!) I'd start the RMA process with Smartenit.  Since we don't really know if it's the PLM or the P2 you may as well request an exchange on both.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 05:28:40 PM »

petera
The 2412U in the P2 kit. As a $20 option. It is made for Smartenit by Smarthome.

This module from what I can see. Is the base 2412 unit with their USB or Serial Daughter Board.
https://smartenit.com/shop/ezicomm/

The one you asked about looks like a 2412 Base Unit with some added features on its Daughter Board. Like ZigBee that can have a Serial or USB output added as an option.

Ok it's using ip protocol (over wifi) to control X10 locally. I'm assuming the power supply is of a power line transformer Class 2 I think.

I really do suggest the OP should strip back his installation to match yours so you can do a side by side comparison. A full list of X10 equipment, particularly equipment with RF capability including controllers, transceivers and sensors should be listed too, bearing in mind that the CM15 is a hybrid controller. A constant reset of the hub is not an ideal fix.

I had terrible trouble with the CM15 locking up at one stage. The CM15 was fine so I switched to a CM19 and haven't looked back

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2021, 05:38:45 PM »

So unfortunately the lockup issue just happened again.  The Smartenit app appears to reflect what it thinks the action was and the state of the device, but nothing happens on the PLM.  No led light flash or anything.

I unplugged the USB cable from the P2, waited 10 seconds and then plugged it back in.  Used teh Smartent app and turned the same device on and then off and it worked (Smarenit app shows green circle aroung item when its on etc) and the led light on the PLM flashed too.

Nope.   Also, I swapped the USB cable from my PiX20Hub (I forgot when I changed to the Pi 3b+ is uses a full usb cable and not the micro one) with the cable I had on the P2.

I tried a command for an x10 device from each and both worked so will see how things go over night and into tomorrow.

I really don't think the cable is your problem but after a reset it's working again for the moment. When your Smartenit hub locks up are you still able to control your X10 devices via Raspberry Pi/Homegenie/CM15 combination or is that locked up too.

I do know unplugging the CM15 from the a/c source and plugging it back in clears the CM15  lockup and as you state resetting the Smartenit hub clears that lockup too. I imagine your controllers are being flooded with X10 commands hence the lockup. Once again, wait and see. The lockups won't happen immediately but over a period of time.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2021, 06:09:04 PM »

I found this post and things are a little clearer. It's all that model numbering and lettering convention that was causing me confusion http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30926.0

brobin

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2021, 06:17:03 PM »

I really don't think the cable is your problem but after a reset it's working again for the moment. When your Smartenit hub locks up are you still able to control your X10 devices via Raspberry Pi/Homegenie/CM15 combination or is that locked up too.

I do know unplugging the CM15 from the a/c source and plugging it back in clears the CM15  lockup and as you state resetting the Smartenit hub clears that lockup too. I imagine your controllers are being flooded with X10 commands hence the lockup. Once again, wait and see. The lockups won't happen immediately but over a period of time.

Just to keep the bits straight, he's not resetting the Smartenit Hub (P2) but simply unplugging the USB cable from the PLM. So neither the P2 nor the PLM are getting power cycled.  He did do a factory reset on the PLM the other day.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2021, 06:44:49 PM »

Some here that had CM15A lock ups. Found by adding 4 bypass capacitors.
That most manufacturers would have installed as part of the design.
On the Chips and main power supply capacitor. Fixed the lock ups we where seeing.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »

Some here that had CM15A lock ups. Found by adding 4 bypass capacitors.
That most manufacturers would have installed as part of the design.
On the Chips and main power supply capacitor. Fixed the lock ups we where seeing.

The source of my lockups I tracked back to the use of X10 motion sensors and X10 security on the same network. As soon as I swapped out the CM15 for a CM19 the problem never returned. I did try a number of different CM15's but the problem still remained. I put this down to the repeating of RF and PLC commands on the same network. I wanted to use both types of X10 sensors plus any other 433mhz sensors without having these lockups.

I'm convinced the OP's problem relates to some form of signal flooding or collision on his network. I can't comment on the Harmony hub but there appears to be many possible sources this flooding/collision is coming from.

In order to troubleshoot this problem effectively the OP would have to give a full outline of his X10 setup so potential sources of his problem could be eliminated. Otherwise it's just a guessing game and constant resetting of the X10 controller is not a long term solution.

soxfan1966

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »

So yesterday during some Google Meets the computer I was in was having serious lagging (video and audio cutting out, both sending and receiving).

That just happened to be the same computer I swapped the port on my network switch with the P2 and prior to that I have not had any issues with Google Meet.

It's possible it's not related but seems too much of a coincidence.  I changed to a different open post on the switch today and had no issues.  The switch is about 12 years old, it's an 8 port switch and I know at least 1 port does t work.
So I'm going to replace the network switch and see what happens. 

brobin

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »

That's pretty old for a switch and they do go bad more often than you'd think.  I've had to replace a couple just in the last year. Thankfully gigabit switches are dirt cheap now with an 8 port going for just 20 bucks with a lifetime warranty.  https://amzn.to/3a9y1t3

soxfan1966

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2021, 05:08:48 PM »

Funny, that's the one I was looking at.  I have D-Link ones now but after doing some research was going to try the tp-link one.
Went to 2 stores hoping to pick one up - nope, very limited selection (walmart and staples).  Will order online and see how that goes.

brobin

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »

I've had several Netgear switches fail over the years but never had a problem with TP-Link.  I've had good luck with Tenda as well.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2021, 05:39:43 PM »

I have been seeing slowdowns in some of my network but never thought to consider the switch.  I have 3 installed in my setup and the power supply failed on one recently.  Otherwise, I've had really good luck with my Linksys/cisco switches.  That said, I have noticed that at least recently my wireless is faster than my wired connections.  Perhaps I should move them around and see if the problem gets resolved.  If so, new switches sounds like a cheap option these days!

brobin

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2021, 06:46:33 PM »

At this point I've pretty much replaced all my 10/100 switches with 10/100/1000 ones since I have 9 HD security cameras and various streaming devices running.  The 9 cams were really bogging things down until I went with the gigabit switches and router.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.