📱🖥️PiX10Hub > 💬General Discussion

Where do you stand on the PiX10Hub

(1/9) > >>

Tuicemen:
It has been a couple years now since this was released and I'm wondering was the effort the small group of testers and myself put into it?
Some of the testers only wished this to be a way to hook users into using HG others away to use Alexa while others wanted a good alternative to the WM100 or AHP.
 There are many in the community (I'm sure that think) using a Raspberry Pi can't handle Home Automation however it can do much more then a PC on any flavor of OS.

Looking at the number of members posted to the PiX10Hub section it would appear there are only a few using raspberry pi boards or even this project.
Has this lived up to all the prerelease Hype?
Are you still struggling with using a PI and the Raspberry Pi OS?
Your input (even if just a vote) can help others to decide if this is worth even trying.

SkipWX10:
I voted for 'not for me'. Reason being is my setup (lighting, motion triggers, and simple stuff) is easily handled by AHP and I even use the WM100 by phone sometimes.

brobin:
I voted 'not for me' as well only because I already have a Stargate controller and only needed something to bring Alexa to the party.  For somebody who likes to tinker "under the hood" the PiX10Hub a great option.

petera:
Not for me but for different reasons than above. HG is so simple to install and keep updated there’s no need for an image of someone else’s install. I’ve posted a number of simple copy/paste instructions starting wit a Raspberry Pi board and a blank SD card to the final installation of HG even a chimp could succeed with this task. There’s no need for any other clutterware on the SD card. If people want Alexa functionality, buy a cheap smart hub and interface it with HG.

For those who still use AHP and I imagine there are many, HG is way beyond what AHP could ever do. The main purpose of any alternative is to keep things as simple as possible.

I imagine anyone hungry enough to make a few dollars I suppose you could sell on a Raspberry Pi kit with a modest mark up with a pre installed version of HG. This would require that the user connect locally with keyboard, mouse. monitor and wired Ethernet connection. A real plug’n’go solution with a basic “how to” file included on the SD card. Now why didn’t I think of that when this all started out  rofl :)%

Tuicemen:
The current image is a vanilla install of Buster lite with a script similar to your copy/paste instructions to do a vanilla install of HG.
It does include a vanilla install of HA-Bridge and the Raspbian file manager Midnight commander both installed via the same script which I believe I included as options.
So in reality it isn't a image of someone else’s install like the original first Stretch version that we all worked on was.

--- Quote --- Now why didn’t I think of that when this all started out  rofl :)%
--- End quote ---
I believe you did!(or someone brought it up)  rofl
l believe it was even discussed to sell SD cards preloaded with the OS, HG & Ha-Bridge. It's just no one in the beta group wanted the hassle.  >!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version