Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Have you tried the PiX10Hub yet?

Yes but I've moved on as it didn't perform as well as it was hyped up to .
- 0 (0%)
Yes but I only use the HG or HA-Bridge part.
- 1 (6.7%)
Yes and I'd like to have other things added (please suggest)
- 1 (6.7%)
Yes it has lived up to its hype
- 4 (26.7%)
No I use HG & or HA-Bridge on Windows
- 0 (0%)
No I already run HG & or HA-Bridge on a PI
- 2 (13.3%)
No but it is on my bucket list
- 1 (6.7%)
No using a Pi is just not for me
- 6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Where do you stand on the PiX10Hub  (Read 8161 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Where do you stand on the PiX10Hub
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 12:35:00 AM »

I've relegated my X10 setup to my home theater (only about a dozen modules and switches now-a-days). Which was actually what brought me to X10 (and Home Automation) years ago. I am also using the wm-100 and 3 palmpads. I could do much (MUCH) more... but for now... I've pared-down the X10 part of my setup

The (Home) Theater isn't a good choice/place for "voice control" (too loud).... or for "phone/Internet control" (too distracting). The PalmPads are a good fit.

My other automation (wifi of various brands, all integrated via Alexa) has grown to extreme proportions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:38:47 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 11:37:46 AM »

Bezos knows and appreciates your support!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »

rofl :)% rofl

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 03:23:06 PM »

Several were having issues with just installing the lite version of the Pi OS.
It was originaly decided to use the lite version of the Pi OS for this due to low memory on the Pi boards causing preformance issue running servers. This cause several users to give up as every thing had to be done via command line thus a Pi wasn't for them. The newer Pi 4 versions have more memory available for running a Destop (GUI) along with the PiX10Hub softwares.

Others had suggested just posting scripts for installing the PiX10Hub software suite with detail use instructions. Yet none have been posted to date.  ::) :'
 Since there are some comfortable with using the command line and others that just want to use the GUI I've decided to create scripts that can be both used via double clicking on them in the GUI or running from command line.
End Users can install the full or lite version of the Pi OS which ever they are most comfortable with. This will also allow splitting up the software suite so it would be possible to run HA-Bridge on one pi and HomeGenie on another for better performance.(Not that you couldn't do that prior.)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »

IDK.... with somewhere between 112 and 126 MILLION prime members in the US alone... Jeff may not remember my name. Besides our phones, smart TV's, electric meters, automobiles, and even some refrigerators are all spying on us. Things... have changed considerably over the years. Yesterday's wars... have already been lost and/or won. I am not going to spend my time worrying about already settled affairs. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:33:25 PM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »

Actually, installing RaspberryOS (or the older Raspbian) have always been simple and can be accomplished within a few steps requiring no scripts or complicated instructions.

• Download the image
  • Download the application to write the image
  • Insert SD/microSD into PC
  • Write image

This is assuming the user needs to write the OS to more than one card.  If they simply want to write an image one time, they can use the installation tool which does everything for you.  Navigate to: raspberrypi.org/software and select the windows installer.  It will let you select the version of the OS you want (I recommend RaspberryOS Lite) and what drive your SD is inserted into.  Simply select "WRITE".  It will download and install the image pretty quick/easy depending on your network speeds.

The next step is to install HG.  There were issues with the installer when Gene stepped away leaving it difficult to install.  However, those issues no longer exist and the standard installation works fine.  The steps to install could be put into a script but it seems silly since that would actually make more work.  Simply follow the installation guide.

Navigate to the HG homepage:  http://www.homegenie.it
Click on the "Get Started" link on the upper right.  Select "Download".  If you scroll down on the right pane it will give you installation instructions for Window, Linux, etc.  Under Linux (Ubuntu, Raspbian and others Debian derivatives) there are 4 lines of code that will install HG on a RPi.  Simply copy/paste these to the command line and HG will be up and running.

If the user has opted to connect a monitor and keyboard up, then they will have to type in those lines.  I recommend using SSH as it makes life much simpler, but some people think a mouse will solve all problems so they want to have a GUI on the RPi.  The problem with the older systems is that the RPi was not all that powerful and adding the GUI on top of things was a drawback.  That hasn't been the case in years (since the RPi2 and 3 really).

If a user wants to install your image, they will save the steps of running a few commands on the command line, but then since the system is out of date, they will have to do the same by updating each package.  I don't know if your installation has those packages linked back to the debian installer, but if not they will have to figure that out manually.  If so, it's a matter of "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:47:32 AM by bkenobi »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 01:06:41 PM »

Downloading & burning an image never was a issue for most. I believe the issue came after first power up as any image needs to be configured and updated.
As well installing HG and the bridge from command line got most user frustrated even with the ability to copy paste commands, some still fail to get an install right. ::) :'

The current image does a update & upgrade on first install before any other software gets installed so the Raspi OS is the latest greatest. However a user still should be doing a update & upgrade periodicaly as the Pi OS is updated reguarly. HG and HA-Bridge are a different story those are outdated!
 -:) Maybe a script should be created to Update HA-Bridge as updating HG is a simple click from the web ui.
However I'm not sure many others use HA-Bridge anymore.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »

I think somewhere along the line the whole concept of HG being server software was lost. Probably understandable for people who have never been exposed to a server environment. The idea is a web UI (or the term GUI as most Wimdows users would be familiar with) would be the means to access the server with to create all the widgets, timers, macros and automations you would ever need. This is accessed from your Windows PC via one of the popular web browsers out there like IE, Chrome or Firefox.

Any updating of the RPI server OS could be done from the same Windows machine using the all too familiar SSH (or PuTTY for the Windows user) Why would anyone want to dump another GUI on top of this bearing in mind that the majority of users here are Windows centric and do all their work from a laptop/desktop PC.

The whole notion of a server tucked away in the corner doing it's job is completely lost when periphals like a mouse, keyboard or monitor is attached. I suppose the best simplistic comparison would be the CM15 fully programmed and disconnected from the PC sitting in the corner doing its job with very little intervention. The Raspberry Pi/CM15 combination would perform exactly the same function and should be treated accordingly. That's where the term PiX10 hub has some real validity.

Yes by all means play around with the whole concept of the Raspberry Pi as a desktop PC but don't dump all that unnecessary overhead on top of a server whose sole job is to perform all the automations required to run the household appliances. Basically keep it simple with little or no manual intervention.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 02:19:08 PM »

I think somewhere along the line the whole concept of HG being server software was lost. Probably understandable for people who have never been exposed to a server environment. The idea is a web UI (or the term GUI as most Wimdows users would be familiar with) would be the means to access the server with to create all the widgets, timers, macros and automations you would ever need. This is accessed from your Windows PC via one of the popular web browsers out there like IE, Chrome or Firefox.

Any updating of the RPI server OS could be done from the same Windows machine using the all too familiar SSH (or PuTTY for the Windows user) Why would anyone want to dump another GUI on top of this bearing in mind that the majority of users here are Windows centric and do all their work from a laptop/desktop PC.

The whole notion of a server tucked away in the corner doing it's job is completely lost when periphals like a mouse, keyboard or monitor is attached. I suppose the best simplistic comparison would be the CM15 fully programmed and disconnected from the PC sitting in the corner doing its job with very little intervention. The Raspberry Pi/CM15 combination would perform exactly the same function and should be treated accordingly. That's where the term PiX10 hub has some real validity.

Yes by all means play around with the whole concept of the Raspberry Pi as a desktop PC but don't dump all that unnecessary overhead on top of a server whose sole job is to perform all the automations required to run the household appliances. Basically keep it simple with little or no manual intervention.
Exactly! Set it up and stick it out of sight.
 I guess you could (if you installed the Raspi OS full and enabled the desktop) add Teamviewer or simular and remote into the Pi as one user I know has. However I see no need for the Raspi Desktop for HG or the Bridge as you have to use a browser to access them anyways.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 02:07:56 PM »

..... I suppose the best simplistic comparison would be the CM15 fully programmed and disconnected from the PC sitting in the corner doing its job with very little intervention. The Raspberry Pi/CM15 combination would perform exactly the same function and should be treated accordingly.

Exactly! Set it up and stick it out of sight.

I started out with the old CM11A. It was set it up and forget it. The CM15A was BETTER. And then..... with the X10's (who then coined phrase of "smart home") idea of a PC connected full time to a CM15A AND connected to the Internet and X10 server(s). That was eye-opening. And THAT was 15 years ago. Time sure fly's doesn't it.

We can't go backwards.

Sure like many of the other geezers here I am still pounding away on a laptop while on-line. But when needing to take a meeting with Zoom..... I installed that app on my iphone. I have a keyboard for the phone too. And the phone pairs well with my smart TV. Perfect for doing business at home.

If we're only using X10 for a few light timers, or a sprinkler system.... even the old CM11A was good for that.

BUT... if you want to ask your automation setup what traffic is like on the way to the airport.... you need cloud support. If you want your automation setup to remind you to get some fuel preservative next time you're near a Home Depot... you need cloud support. If you want to use your cars connection to speak with people at home (like an intercom).... you need cloud support.

I wouldn't work at limiting the Pi-Hub. I'd exploit the HELL out of it's capabilities. But that will mandate servers... the cloud. I don't know of any way around it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »

BUT... if you want to ask your automation setup what traffic is like on the way to the airport.... you need cloud support. If you want your automation setup to remind you to get some fuel preservative next time you're near a Home Depot... you need cloud support. If you want to use your cars connection to speak with people at home (like an intercom).... you need cloud support.

I wouldn't work at limiting the Pi-Hub. I'd exploit the HELL out of it's capabilities. But that will mandate servers... the cloud. I don't know of any way around it.
What so many fail to see it the cloud is just a bunch of servers.
 The PiX10Hub is two servers, three if you enable MQTT.
With the HomeGenie server I can grab info from several other servers.(not just other HG or HA-Bridge servers)
Most of what you mention is possible now from any internet capable phone, tablet, laptop.....  with the HomeGenie server linked with other servers.

With the PiX10Hub software suite installed on a Pi, PC, Mac, or laptop you can add things, control things (not just X10), get info from anywhere you have a internet connection. If you wish to do this.
I created programs on my city PiX10Hub and got info from it while at my off grid place.
I currently have 2 Pi boards a PC and a laptop all sharing info in my city place, only one is connected to the internet.

The PiX10Hub software suite (Homegenie specificaly) is capable of more then most think.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2021, 09:05:34 AM »

What so many fail to see it the cloud is just a bunch of servers.

IDK. I know the cloud is just servers! But from what I read here (and other places) many think of "the Cloud" as an evil, foreign, place, ruled by Jeff Betos and Bill Gates. How do "WE" know your not really Bill Gates.... PRETENDING to be Tuicemen:'  rofl

I created programs on my city PiX10Hub and got info from it while at my off grid place.
I currently have 2 Pi boards a PC and a laptop all sharing info in my city place, only one is connected to the internet.
The PiX10Hub software suite (Homegenie specificaly) is capable of more then most think.

Years ago.... BEFORE Home Automation went mainstream.... there used to be on-line discussions about if HA was a hobby, or a useful control method for many with disabilities, or just a fun way for people with deep pockets to show off. And of course.... there was also the android-TopHat users who were looking for applications for their "free Software" (anti-American) advocatity.

And I don't mean to demean software hobbyists! I think it's pretty cool some people compile their own apps and software mods. And I have no desire to define a fine-line between a software hobby (that controls HA) and a HA hobby (that depends on software).

I myself..... at one time... spent countless hours alone, in my Home Office studying for network certifications and playing with HA software and plug-in's. Or... in more recent years.... in my easychair logging "screen time" on my iphone.

But things change. Today.... we can create connections and routines by merely asking an AI app to make such things work. I am not saying that we "HAVE" use that method to create Home Automation. But it can be that simple. And... we don't HAVE to limit automation to lights, and sprinklers. Automation is much bigger than just simple home-based devices now-a-days. And THAT... we can't change.      
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 06:53:48 PM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »

Interpretation is just that...

dkbialik

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »

Up until last week PiX10/hub was working flawlessly for me.  Unfortunately we had a major power surge that fried some things including the Pi that was running everything.  After an entire rebuild I have the buster image controlling x10 through home genie and HA Bridge but it will not talk to Alexa.  Any ideas?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.