Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Re: Smartenit Harmony P2 & G2 Controllers  (Read 7464 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Smartenit Harmony P2 & G2 Controllers
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »

Here's the place to discuss the Smartenit Harmony controllers.

brobin

Re: Re: Smartenit Harmony P2 & G2 Controllers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:57:00 PM »

As an almost 40 year user of X10 I was thrilled to be able to control my system with Alexa using a simple plug'n' play device that can also function as a full blown X10 controller.

The solution a growing number of us here are using is a Smartenit Harmony P2 with a bundled Insteon 2412U PLM.  At $75 for both it's an economical solution that not only gives you Alexa skill supported control of X10 but an app and a sophisticated automation controller with email and text notifications.  I've been using it for almost 3 years and it's rock solid.  It's basically what X10's WM100 should have been but for a lower price and better functionality.

It's virtually plug 'n play so you can be up and running 30 minutes after you open the box.  Everything is done through an Android/IOS app or web portal.  In addition to X10, you can also use it to control Insteon and ZigBee devices should you ever wish to.  It has it's own real time clock and does sunrise/sunset calculations based on where you live.  There have been no server interruptions in the time I've had it and the company and support are in the USA.

The P2 does need to be plugged into an Ethernet port on your router or switch.

https://smartenit.com/shop/zigbee-insteon-x10-multi-protocol-gateway-hub/

If you order be sure to click the selection to include the 'Add Insteon/X10 powerline only PLM.' bringing the total to $74.99.

Feel free to ask any questions. 

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:14:30 PM by brobin »

Possum0425

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 09:25:49 AM »

Hey Brobin, I recently purchased the products you advised.  I get that the SMARTENIT unit is cloud based and therefore there is not a lot of local control (app based), something that I do not like, but have become accustomed to as an Amazon EERO router user.  My use history is similar to yours and I have over (80) X10 devices in a 6000 SF house.  I also have the WM100 X10 WIFI hub and the very robust repeater developed and sold by Jeff Volp.  I have great X10 signal coverage.  The WM100 controls everything without issue.  I bought the SMARTENIT Harmoney P2 because I wanted the Alexa voice interface.

My problem is I can't seem to get the PLM Module to issue X10 commands.  The Smartenit hub records x10 activity as though it is executed; but, it is NOT executed.  I note in the Device selection drop down there are only (2) choices for x10- a relay OR a Switch/Outlet.   I have tried selecting various combinations of the two but cannot get the commands to execute. 

Sent the Below to SMARTENIT Customer Service just now, can you help me??  Thank you for your time!! #:)

As Follows:

I am not a novice HA person.  I built my own hub to control X10 with Alexa using a RasPi. 

The problem I have is that I can find no documentation or user friendly web interface for the Harmony P2 Model 6007C Zigbee AG I recently purchased from you with the Powerlinc Modem USB #2412U Module.  I am trying to control X10 WS469 pushbutton relay switch with LED (using as single switch so have capped off the red wire).

I think the problem is with the PLM as the hub itself records the x10 activity.  I have tried resetting everything (Router, Hub, PLM) several times.  I should also note that I have robust X10 signals within the house AND I have an X10 PL100 WM100 WIFI Hub that allows me to control all the X10 modules currently.

Please help me- I do not understand what the LQI and Relations settings are about -under Topology.  I am excited about your companies capabilities as I have other needs you may be able to help me with professionally.

brobin

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 11:00:09 AM »

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with the PLM.  When you turn something on or off you should see the white LED on the side of the PLM flicker brightly.  If not, and as in your case, the P2 indicates that the command was sent, the problem would be with the PLM or the USB cable connecting it to the P2.  When you first plug the PLM in, the LED should flicker and stay dimly lit and flicker brightly as a command is sent. If the LED doesn't come on when plugged in (and you've tested the outlet for power) it is likely defective and Smartenit will replace it for you.  However, the first thing I'd do is try a different USB cable.  Cables - even new ones - are always suspect and over the years I've learned to check the cables first.

There are two choices for X10 devices under the Switches/Outlets tab; 'X10 Appliance Modules' and 'X10 Dimmers' and the WS469 should be set up as an X10 Appliance Module.

I don't know where you're seeing the Topology settings but they are not relevant to X10 use.

I hope this is simply a bad cable but if it's the PLM I'm know Smartenit will take care of it quickly.

Let me know what you find.

Mic_

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 11:11:32 AM »

I just purchased this item to control my x10 devices. Wish me luck?

brobin

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 11:16:36 AM »

You shouldn't expect any problems.  I've been running two of them for a few years now with no issues.  Why two?  I had two homes. Now that I just have one I plugged in the one from the other place but just use it for testing new ideas.

Give a holler if you have any questions getting it set up.

Mic_

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »

Thank you. Will do

Possum0425

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 09:01:19 AM »

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with the PLM.  When you turn something on or off you should see the white LED on the side of the PLM flicker brightly.  If not, and as in your case, the P2 indicates that the command was sent, the problem would be with the PLM or the USB cable connecting it to the P2.  When you first plug the PLM in, the LED should flicker and stay dimly lit and flicker brightly as a command is sent. If the LED doesn't come on when plugged in (and you've tested the outlet for power) it is likely defective and Smartenit will replace it for you.  However, the first thing I'd do is try a different USB cable.  Cables - even new ones - are always suspect and over the years I've learned to check the cables first.

There are two choices for X10 devices under the Switches/Outlets tab; 'X10 Appliance Modules' and 'X10 Dimmers' and the WS469 should be set up as an X10 Appliance Module.

I don't know where you're seeing the Topology settings but they are not relevant to X10 use.

I hope this is simply a bad cable but if it's the PLM I'm know Smartenit will take care of it quickly.

Let me know what you find.

Dear Brobin-truly appreciate your time!  OK here's my run down of testing

1.) First tried new USB cable - no difference

2.) I tried to hold down the reset button on PLM for extended period, this resulted in a consistent bright flashing LED on PLM.  I then reset the P2 Hub- the bright LED stopped blinking on the PLM and the soft light glowed steady.  I was hopeful- but same result, no X10 action.  I mention that the events continued to be recorded on P2 and the X10 WM100 blinks as though some command was sent.

3.) Getting creative now - I removed the PLM and tried substituting my ACTIVEHOME PRO Model CM15A with fresh batteries in it - no luck

4.) Same as number 3 above but used ACTIVEHOME PRO Model CM11A with fresh batteries in it (and Serial adapter- it is what I successfully used with Raspi)- NO LUCK!

I would like to believe it is the PLM but I find it odd that it behaves normally as far as the lights are concerned and there is evidence that it sends out "something" due to the blinking of the WM100.  Screenshot below is grid view of components.  BTW I have other X10 Appliance warts that I have tried with same results.  DO you still think it is PLM???

I discovered I can't send links so will email to you if possible,  Craig

brobin

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 11:10:07 AM »

The PLM and CM11A/15A are not interchangeable so I wouldn't expect any difference.

Verify you have the latest firmware by tapping the > in the Smartenit-HarmonyP2 device then UPDATES.  The current version is 3.15.0-14.

Confirm that the correct X10 address is being sent by tapping the > in the device you set up. The MAC will be the X10 address.

Does the PLM blink brightly when an X10 command is sent?

What does the WM100 receive? Does the status of the device you're trying to control change?

For testing, I recommend unplugging the WM100 and any repeaters.

The PLM should be plugged directly into a wall outlet - not a power strip.

Try controlling an appliance module plugged into the same outlet.

If you PM me your username and password I'll be happy to look at how you have things set up.

Let me know what you find out.  Happy to help!

Possum0425

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 07:25:34 PM »

My Response -
The PLM and CM11A/15A are not interchangeable so I wouldn't expect any difference. - OK

Verify you have the latest firmware by tapping the > in the Smartenit-HarmonyP2 device then UPDATES.  The current version is 3.15.0-14.  YES ALTHOUGH IT REPORTS IN THE SOFTWARE WINDOW, FIRMWARE HAS A DASH

Confirm that the correct X10 address is being sent by tapping the > in the device you set up. The MAC will be the X10 address. IT IS NOT X10 ADDRESS, IT READS "temp-hwid-gyZ9KjfMJo8TGMzyLxFwJsmNhyXgmPm0a19SzHgRi2Sd1s3fCMxMC4"

Does the PLM blink brightly when an X10 command is sent? YES

What does the WM100 receive? IT JUST BLINKS-NO HISTORY

Does the status of the device you're trying to control change? NO

For testing, I recommend unplugging the WM100 and any repeaters. I TRIED THIS NO DIFFERENCE

The PLM should be plugged directly into a wall outlet - not a power strip. IT IS

Try controlling an appliance module plugged into the same outlet.  GOOD IDEA!  IT WORKS!! ON SAME OUTLET OR SAME ROOM.  WHAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE IS THE FACT THAT THE REPEATER AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT FROM JEFF VOLT ELIMINATED DEAD SPOTS IN MY HOUSE OVER A YEAR AGO.  MAYBE JEFF WILL READ THIS AND GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT.  ALSO NOTE THAT THE MAC ADDRESS FOR THE UNITS IS NOT A SIMPLE X10 CODE-IS IT ON YOUR SYSTEM??

If you PM me your username and password I'll be happy to look at how you have things set up.

Let me know what you find out.  Happy to help!

brobin

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »

I assume you're looking in the browser but look in the app and you'll see the X10 address.

In any case, the good news is the Harmony P2 is working properly!

Now we can turn our attention to the signal issue. Which product do you have from Jeff and how/where is it installed?

brobin

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 11:10:26 PM »

BTW, this is an example of what you would see when tapping > in a device:

Possum0425

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 04:48:15 AM »

Wow-thanks for your help!!  The unit I bought from Jeff Volp  jeff@jvde.us is XTB-IIR+ Purchased October 2020-can send manual if needed.

:)% #:) >!

Possum0425

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 04:53:25 AM »

-:)  Oh yeah- it is on the main panel in my house 200 amp service.  The outlet that the PLM is plugged into is in the new house addition that has a subpanel.  I located harmony there as that is where my network router is.  If I moved the PLM to the basement and plugged into the XBRII+ what would be best option for the ethernet connect?  Should I run cable or could I get by with powerline data transfer??

brobin

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 05:21:34 AM »

No need for the manual - I have one installed here and have been using them for many years in several homes.  It plays nicely with my P2 so, unless Jeff has some suggestions, I don't think any mode changes are needed.  I assume you have the XTB-IIR+ connected to a pair of circuit breakers so you could turn those off for testing just to eliminate it as a problem.

The signal has to get to the XTB-IIR+ in order to be repeated so I'm wondering if the circuit you have the PLM plugged into has a noise issue.  Look for things on the circuit that could be generating noise.  Six months ago I had the same problem where the signals from the P2 weren't working.  It turned out to be a wall wart that powers a Tivo DVR.  It had been fine for years but all of a sudden generated enough noise to block signals from ever reaching the repeater.  So unplug as many things as you can on the circuit to find the culprit.

Try moving the PLM to another circuit for testing. 
Is it on the same circuit as the WM100?
Does the XTB-IIR+ LED flicker when a command is sent?

Powerline data transfer shouldn't be a problem and is a lot easier than running a cable.  Do you have any Ethernet cabling in the house that you can connect to? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.