Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Undercabinet LED lights kill X-10 signal, any solution??  (Read 3083 times)

gmoody

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Undercabinet LED lights kill X-10 signal, any solution??
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:19:25 PM »

I have had X-10 modules since Radio Shack sold them, yep I'm old! :)
But here is my question, in the pursuit to get all my modules working again I replaced my carport wall switch.
Worked from a remote maybe two times then would not work from the remote. Works fine locally pushing button but not from the remote.
To make a long story short, one phase of my house was not controlling X-10. Replaced the 0.1 mfd bridging capacitor in my breaker panel.
Still did not work. Started cutting things off in the house, turns out a under cabinet LED light I have on my workbench is filtering the X-10 signal.
Don't want to replace the light if I can help it.
Any solution???
THANKS!
George

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Undercabinet LED lights kill X-10 signal, any solution??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »

I use Smart Home brand filters with good success. If it's a plugin light that would work. If it's wired in, you could get an inline style but I'm not sure of one that will fit in a single gang with wiring etc.

Jeff Volp may have some filters left. If so, that's the top of the line. Otherwise you might check ebay for X10 or einstein filters.

gmoody

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »

If I had done just a little research, I found plug in filters on the X-10 web site. Then found them on Amazon a little cheaper.
Order placed, sure this will take care of my issue. Been too long since I have played with my X-10 system.
Used to love Home Automation Laboratories, will have to see if they still have X-10 stuff.

THANKS for the quick reply bkenobi!!!!!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »

I've never used the X10 brand units so cant say anything from personal experience. Others have said they are 5 amp units that will smoke if you run more than that in them. I havent had a problem with the filterlinc units I have. They have a fuse in them rated at 5 or 10 amp as i recall. If you exceed the fuse, it will pop but can be easily replaced.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 08:20:19 PM »

If the filter doesn't do the job you might try a 1000uh choke on the hot line to the lights per Jeff Volp's article here:
http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cfl.pdf

Here's a source for the chokes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-5258-JW-MILLER-Fixed-RF-Inductors-1-0mH-20/322651422833

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »

The X10 XPPF filter works very well for plug-in loads up to several amps.  Its rating 5 amps, but that is pushing it pretty hard.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 06:02:35 PM »

I too have seen reports of pushing an XPPF to it rated current and overheating.
I melted the coils in one using incandescent bulbs and getting to about 4.0-4.5 amps through it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 05:06:44 PM »

You do not get bragging rites unless you have BSR modules sold by Sears.  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 05:26:23 PM »

Got 'em and still using them where brown looks better.  Still have the BSR Ultrasonic controllers and remotes too!  Damn, I could open an X10 museum.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 10:41:01 PM »

How about that BSR clock timer with the blue display and slide selector switches?  We used that for years before the CM11A beta test.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 12:08:36 AM »

How about that BSR clock timer with the blue display and slide selector switches?  We used that for years before the CM11A beta test.

Jeff

I had one of those after the GE HomeMinder died. Still available on ebay! After that I had the CM11A till 1994.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:13:10 AM by brobin »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »

Speaking of the X10 clock. Did any of you old X10 geezers have the Regency Regulator system? Had appliance and lamp modules with 99 house codes and 99 unit codes. The first 16 HCUC would also control X10 modules. The controller had multiple timers ( I forget how many now). It worked well, but did not last. I got mine through DAK...which also is deceased.

Mr Google does not remember the system but Ebay does.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Regency-1600-Regulator-Energy-Managment-System-a21-/173392438848

brobin

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »

Speaking of the X10 clock. Did any of you old X10 geezers have the Regency Regulator system? Had appliance and lamp modules with 99 house codes and 99 unit codes. The first 16 HCUC would also control X10 modules. The controller had multiple timers ( I forget how many now). It worked well, but did not last. I got mine through DAK...which also is deceased.

Mr Google does not remember the system but Ebay does.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Regency-1600-Regulator-Energy-Managment-System-a21-/173392438848
Never had that one but I remember DAK fondly.  The DAK catalog is what got me started with BSR X10.  I lived in Los Angeles back then and they had an outlet store in a corner of their warehouse in the valley.  They sold both new and discounted returned items.  I also remember them for their automatic bread maker which made great bread.  I still have it but haven't used it in years.  When Drew Kaplan retired he sold the business to a guy in New York who still sells mostly audio gadgets at DAK.com.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 08:44:12 PM »

I remember DAK fondly.   When Drew Kaplan retired he sold the business to a guy in New York who still sells mostly audio gadgets at DAK.com.
Yes, I remember getting all excited when a new catalog came in the mail. I thought DAK gone out of business. Even though it is not Kaplan anymore, I will have to check DAK.com out....I wonder if they have a print catalog(?)  rofl

brobin

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »

I remember DAK fondly.   When Drew Kaplan retired he sold the business to a guy in New York who still sells mostly audio gadgets at DAK.com.
Yes, I remember getting all excited when a new catalog came in the mail. I thought DAK gone out of business. Even though it is not Kaplan anymore, I will have to check DAK.com out....I wonder if they have a print catalog(?)  rofl
We are true Dakonians!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.