Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: CM15A Problem- Seems to get Stuck "on"  (Read 9149 times)

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
CM15A Problem- Seems to get Stuck "on"
« on: February 09, 2021, 03:28:02 PM »

My CM15A is connected to a RPI with Homgenie and HABridge. For the 3rd time in the last few months, my X10 system "dies" and I am not able to turn anything on or off. It does not matter which one of several controllers, including those wired to an AC outlet. Occasionally, one command will go "on" but immediately goes "off". I walked around the house disconnecting and unplugging device after device until I found unplugging the CM15A "fixed" the problem. At least I could turn the lights off to go to bed.  :) ;)

Any ideas? At one point, I was looking at the HG logs and I could see a steady stream X10A4 Level 1 commands, hundreds of them. At the time I was trying to do A4-off to kill a radio.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: CM15A Problem- Seems to get Stuck "on"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »

Once you’ve ruled out your hardware look next at any automations you’ve set up in HG. If the logic in any of your scripts it could be firing off this A4 on command waiting for a condition to be met. I assume you’ve no X10 remote acting up. Try removing batteries from remotes and continue your checks.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »

I have been reading the linked post and the parallels are amazing. In my case, as soon as I pulled the CM15A, everything settled down. I am taking my time now to do some more testing. Thanks.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »

I have been reading the linked post and the parallels are amazing. In my case, as soon as I pulled the CM15A, everything settled down. I am taking my time now to do some more testing. Thanks.

Remember, examine the logic in your scripts in HomeGenie carefully. Imagine you have a command that turns on A4 and another that turns it off. The first script depends on A4 being on before it terminates and so on. Another example is if a sensor is set to turn on A4 and it's faulty. Constantly sending the A4 on command. One final thing. When you are finished troubleshooting HomeGenie disable logging otherwise you will kill your SD card with all those log writes.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:51:22 AM »

Thanks, I had forgot about disabling logging and the memory chip life. -:)

I still have the CM15A unplugged(HG running on the RPI), and just the Smartenit P2 running my lights. I have 2 "Routines" configured to turn groups of lights on/off in Alexa. I had everything working nicely yesterday, but after a few hours none of the Alexa commands would work. I could still turn off the X10 lights with the wired keypad. This is not the 1st time Alexa forgot everything.
I "Removed All" Alexa devices this morning and "Rediscovered" and everything is working again.
Any ideas.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:58:08 AM »

When that happened did you notice if the green dot was present on the gateway icon in the Smartenit app or was it a red dot?  If it happens again try a reboot of the P2 & PLM before resorting to the R&R with Alexa. 

Moose

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 12:13:31 PM »

It quit again. Alexa would say OK but nothing happened. I was able to control devices from the P2 app on the phone. So, I tried powering off the RPI, Homegenie and the HABridge, and the Alexa commands worked again.  B:(

brobin

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »

With the RPI turned OFF, remove devices in the Alexa app, exit the app, then log back in and rediscover devices in the Alexa app. It's important that all the HABridge devices be removed to eliminate double entries.  Maybe it'd be a good idea to remove or disable HABridge in the RPI to keep it from happening again.  Others here can advice on that.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 02:27:16 PM »

With the RPI turned OFF, remove devices in the Alexa app, exit the app, then log back in and rediscover devices in the Alexa app. It's important that all the HABridge devices be removed to eliminate double entries.  Maybe it'd be a good idea to remove or disable HABridge in the RPI to keep it from happening again.  Others here can advice on that.

@brobin are you using HA Bridge. I thought the Smartenit hardware did away with the need for 3rd party emulators.

@Moose are you sure you have no port conflicts in your setup. Did you recently update either HomeGenie or HA Bridge. Amazon did a recent firmware upgrade and if you rely on HA Bridge for Alexa functionality this may be your problem.

Can you completely remove HomeGenie/HA Bridge from your setup temporarily and see if Smartenit and Alexa function correctly.This should help to narrow down your problem.

brobin

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 02:46:05 PM »

No I don't use HA-Bridge or an RPi and yes, the Smartenit hardware does indeed do away with the need for 3rd party emulators.

I have just two controllers; the Stargate and the Smartenit. If all I wanted to do was X10 control I wouldn't even need the Stargate!

My comments are for Moose as he does have the RPi running HA-Bridge and unplugging it solved his problem.  I learned this awhile back when I migrated from Alex10 (running on a WIN pc) to the PiAlexaHub.  With two instances of the same Alexa device she gets confused so it's best to remove and rediscover with the competing system out of the picture.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »

@brobin are you using HA Bridge. I thought the Smartenit hardware did away with the need for 3rd party emulators.

@Moose are you sure you have no port conflicts in your setup. Did you recently update either HomeGenie or HA Bridge. Amazon did a recent firmware upgrade and if you rely on HA Bridge for Alexa functionality this may be your problem.

Can you completely remove HomeGenie/HA Bridge from your setup temporarily and see if Smartenit and Alexa function correctly.This should help to narrow down your problem.

I am not sure about port conflicts. How does one know for certain? I think there was an HABridge update back in December. I will leave the PI off for a while and see if helps.

brobin

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 03:10:38 PM »

That sounds like the way to go.  Additionally, look in the Alexa app for duplicates and if you see them I'd do the remove and rediscover to clean that up.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 03:18:58 PM »

That sounds like the way to go.  Additionally, look in the Alexa app for duplicates and if you see them I'd do the remove and rediscover to clean that up.

If I'm reading these Smartenit posts correctly that unit gives connectivity to Alexa. If that's the case theres no need for the HA Bridge. The devices in HomeGenie should already be exposed to Alexa via Smartenit. Could you confirm this.

brobin

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »

Exactly. Here's a rough diagram of what happens if the porch light has an X10 switch set to E1:

Alexa, turn on porch light --> Smartenit Skill --> P2 Hub sends E1-On.

Of course, any other controller in the house will receive the E1-On as well which can trigger whatever else you'd like to have happen or the P2 Hub can do other things as defined in the 'Automation Rules' that you create.  Unless you're using HG for things other than just X10 control the P2 Hub can handle all the schedules/macros itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.