Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange Problem  (Read 2227 times)

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Strange Problem
« on: February 11, 2021, 09:00:43 PM »

Strange problem, I sometimes find the outside lights on in the morning(about once or twice a month). I have 4 wall switch modules, 3 are X10 and 1 Insteon. They are set to turn off at staggered times. When I turn off the Insteon they all turn off :o. They are on different codes. I think the solution is to replace the Insteon but I can not explain what happening. I know the Insteon are 2 way but it still does not make sense.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Strange Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:07:57 PM »

Could you supply a little more detail on what you use to control them.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »

Also which model Insteon wall switch?

Tucson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:14:13 AM »

I use the X10 wifi as the controller. Interesting to note if I send commands through the app nothing happens. The module is a 2477s on/off insteon wall switch.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:41:42 AM »

I use the X10 wifi as the controller. Interesting to note if I send commands through the app nothing happens. The module is a 2477s on/off insteon wall switch.

Is that the WM100. If so I don’t own one but I’ve seen quite a few posts from unhappy owners. Thankfully there’s plenty alternatives to it now.

brobin

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 01:24:24 AM »

So you're using the Insteon 2477s in the X10 mode correct?  I'ld first try to reprogram the X10 address in the 2477s as I've found that they do "forget" from time to time and the two way function for X10 can be flaky. You might also want to remove any secondary X10 Scene Address that may be present as well.  See: https://www.smarthome.com/pages/insteon-x10-programming

The most reliable way to control that switch is to use it in its native Insteon mode.

To do that I'd recommend that you replace the X10 WM100 with a Smartenit P2 bundled with an Insteon 2412U PLM for $59.95 from:
 https://smartenit.com/shop/zigbee-insteon-x10-multi-protocol-gateway-hub/  Be sure to select X10/Insteon PLM in the options box.

The P2 Hub will do everything that the WM100 does and more.  In addition to controlling both X10 and Insteon simultaneously, it offers control with Alexa or Google Home, a well designed app and even built in ZigBee control should you ever need it.  While you can control it from any smartphone or PC from anywhere, the unit itself needs to be plugged into a router or switch as it does not have internal WiFi.  The G2 model does but it's much more expensive.  The unit also has its own real time clock so it doesn't rely on the app to get the current time. It calculates daily sunrise/sunset based on your home address entered at initial setup.

The P2 will find the Insteon switch when you set it up so it's very easy.  The Automation Rules will let you set up whatever type of conditional scheduling you like.  I've been using one for almost 2 years now and it's rock solid.

Tucson

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 11:44:58 PM »

Thank you, for your very detailed response. The G2 version sounds interesting my router is not near the sweet spot I have found works best for locating the controller. Any tip would be appreciated.

brobin

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 12:28:39 AM »

Thank you, for your very detailed response. The G2 version sounds interesting my router is not near the sweet spot I have found works best for locating the controller. Any tip would be appreciated.

As you'll see on the Smartenit site, the G2 costs $100 more than the P2.  While it has a more powerful processor the only other benefit is built in WiFi.  If you can't run an Ethernet cable to where you need it you could probably add something like a TP-Link TL-WR802N in client mode to give the P2 WiFi access if you have a good signal at your 'sweet spot.'  Do you have a coupler/repeater installed at your electrical panel?  If not, adding one would provide better signal strength throughout your home.  But if the extra $100 isn't an issue for you the easiest thing to do would be to buy the G2. 
Both run the same firmware and app.

Tucson

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 12:01:01 AM »

Just wanted to give an update. I purchased the Smartenit G2 and set it up. I’m pretty happy with it, dependable and reasonably easy to use. The only con is the X10 transmitter is not as strong as the “X10 WIFI”.  Will need to come up with a booster for the back Bedroom.

brobin

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 12:21:17 AM »

Glad to hear you're happy with the G2!

Since you also have some Insteon products already, perhaps you could try one in the back bedroom and set it up as an Insteon device in the G2. The 2412U PLM that was bundled with the G2 is an Insteon device that supports Insteon & X10 and you may find that the Insteon signal is more robust.

Do you have a coupler and or repeater installed at your electrical panel?  If not, that would probably solve your signal issues.  The ultimate coupler/repeater is the XTB-IIR from jvde.us but even a simple coupler might solve the issue. 
Another option from jvde.us is the XTBR booster that could be plugged into the same outlet.  The Insteon BoosterLinc may also solve your problem.  Those are on ebay sometimes or PM me if you need one.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.