Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lamp module with status (2-way)  (Read 1509 times)

haguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lamp module with status (2-way)
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:33:43 PM »

I am trying to find a lamp module (plug in), i.e. with dimming , that can also report its status

Would someone know the make and model of such a thing?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Lamp module with status (2-way)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 04:28:57 PM »

After some research, the long discontinued X10 LM14A responds to both extended commands and a status query.  The Smarthome X10 compatible Lamplinc also responds to the status query, but uses the 32 level pre-set dim command to set brightness.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:22:43 PM »

Along with some the Smarthome X10 compatible modules. They also made receive only versions.
X10 support was officailly dropped. Many of the Insteon wall, Keypads and inline modules still will take an X10 Primary address programmed into them.  The Insteon 2456D and 2457D revisions lower than 3.6. Plug in style dimmer modules also can have an X10 Primary address added.
The dimmers should do the standard X10 On, Off, Dim and Brighten commands but not the extended dim commands.

Status is reported back as a %Dim if dimmed or On and Off. When locally changed with the modules paddle or toggle button.
LM14A was pointed out already.

Wall and inline modules require a Neutral Power connection along with the Line and Load. So using an Insteon module in place of a two wire X10 wall switch would need a Neutral connection to operate.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:21:03 AM by Brian H »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:31:58 AM »

I have some LM14A modules. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll look for them.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 06:58:01 AM »

I also have two LM14A two way modules and AM14A two way Appliance module. In storage tubs.  :)

haguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 04:30:08 PM »

What is the difference between the LM14A and the PLM03 ?  (other than physical size)

Both seem to support extended codes, resume to level on, notification of state change.

Is the PLM03 just newer circuitry?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 07:41:43 PM »

The LM14A has a power line transmitter in it.  So you can inquire to its status.
When using a CM11A with Active Home. When powered up it requests its status from the controller. As it does not remember its status on a power loss and powering back up.

The PLM03 is power line receiver only and will not respond to a status request. Can use an extended command to set its On level.

The earlier Insteon dimmer modules can also have an X10 address programmed into them. X10 was dropped in some modules awhile back.
They have a transmitter in them and can respond to a status request.
They used a different X10 protocol so extended commands do not work. They used a %Dim command and a status request gets you a %Dim if not full On or Off. The old On and dim down should work.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 09:10:09 AM by Brian H »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 08:25:33 PM »

I'll interject also that the 2-way X10 modules really do not add much value to an X10 system unless you have a special use case or reliability is of critical importance (in which case, you may want to consider using something other than X10 anyway).  Polling and receiving an X10 module status is slow, and if you poll often, creates a lot of traffic.  Extra traffic also decreases reliability in the presence of "non-polite" transmitters that don't implement collision avoidance.  2-way X10 modules have a transmitter in them, and every transmitter also attenuates powerline signals a bit, so having every module be a 2-way module would further increase likelihood of X10 signal issues.

It's often better to just keep track of the last state for a given module by listening to commands on the powerline.  AHP does this.  For something like a lamp module, the only time the state changes locally with no command on the powerline is when someone changes the module's state from OFF to ON by toggling the switch on the lamp.  An LM14A also doesn't report this status change immediately; it has to be polled.  I can see more value for 2-way communication in a device like a wall switch module, which is primarily controlled locally.  There were Leviton DHC, ACT A10, and SmartLabs SwitchLinc modules that would report a status change immediately when controlled locally, but the X10-compatible ones are all discontinued.  They also all required a neutral connection.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 01:28:45 PM »

I can see more value for 2-way communication in a device like a wall switch module, which is primarily controlled locally.  There were Leviton DHC, ACT A10, and SmartLabs SwitchLinc modules that would report a status change immediately when controlled locally, but the X10-compatible ones are all discontinued.  They also all required a neutral connection.

Yes, I use that feature in a 2-way Leviton wall switch to control power to the electronics when the lights in our media room are turned on or off.  The amplifier in particular wastes a lot of power even in standby.  So many devices around the house suck power all the time even though they are rarely used.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.