Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The darndest thing  (Read 892 times)

gadgetboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
The darndest thing
« on: April 12, 2023, 05:36:29 PM »

As a newbie to HomeGenie (in experience, not time) I had developed a certain cockiness as to my troubleshooting abilities in HomeGenie and X10. Recently, I learned I was wrong.

I have a older small house with detatched garage/workshop. In the last few years I added some simple X10 automation devices, LED bulbs and tubes and motion detectors. This has allowed me to maintain some independance and freedom.  Imagine my concern when the automatic shop/doorstep lights began operating erratically. And then basement lights. and then some of the other convience item I had installed. 

After several months of head-scratching and frustration. I accidently left my HP laptop power supply unplugged and everything was suddenly cured (I hope)

This simply shows how a simple solution can save frustration.

It had been indicated how powerline noise could affect X10 and now I truely believe.

When the laptop is plugged in now it is into a filtered powerbar like the rest of my electronics.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: The darndest thing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 06:20:08 PM »

Sounds like the power supply was making power line noise or was a power line signal sucker.
Glad  you found the issue.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: The darndest thing
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 12:42:57 AM »

Glad you found the problem. An X10 XPPF Plug-In noise filter would be a better choice for filtering the errant power supply.  If the power supply used to be OK but now causes problems I'd replace it before it fails.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.