Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice on how to prepare a home for X10?  (Read 1383 times)

Tashtari

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Advice on how to prepare a home for X10?
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:37:43 PM »

Hi all - first time poster here!

It may be a little crazy, but I'm considering throwing my lot in with X10 as I get into home automation.  Being aware of some of the pitfalls, I want to give my system the best chance of working reliably that I can.

My home is a townhouse, new construction, about 5 years old.  Like everyone else, I own some devices that are known to cause signal interference, some UPSes, some switching power supplies, etc.  My interest in X10 was sparked when I was gifted a small set of X10 devices that I've been playing around with, and I've used them to conduct a bit of small scale testing.  In spite of the signal-interference devices I mentioned and in spite of them being on two separate phases, I've managed to reliably control a couple of lamps without any spurious turning on or off, so I figure that's a good sign.

For security, I'd like to filter out any signal coming from outside the house, and it seems like the PZZ01 module is the answer to that.  In addition, I've seen some talk about the reliability benefits of signal amplifiers such as Jeff Volp's XTB-IIR.  Should I get an electrician in to install both of these near my circuit breaker panel?

Additionally, filtering the potentially-troublesome devices seems like a good idea.  I read the article on coreyswrite.com about signal reliability and he mentions that there are reports of the XPPF having some slight flame-related problems, which is more than a little worrying.  He instead recommends some Insteon 1626-10s, which can be found on ebay.  I don't see any such reports on the XPF, maybe it'd be a good idea to install some of those on bigger appliances like the central air?  Possibly others?

I'm sure there are considerations I've not thought of yet, on top of these.  I'm a bit new to this world and would love to get some advice and tips from the more experienced.  Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Advice on how to prepare a home for X10?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »

The PZZ01 has the main feed from the power company wires passing through it.

The XPF is a 20Amp filter and mostly used on a branch circuit. It is quite large to accommodate the 20 amp coils in it.

X10 signals do not pass easily through the power companies transformer so most times an X10 power line signal doesn't get between others near by. Though I would expat someone here might have it happen. That is a reason that X10 commands can have issues getting between the two Lines from the street.

The XTB-IIR can be connected to a 220 Volt outlet on the breaker panel. So it is not inside the panel itself.
An electrician would definitely be needed for the PZZO1 and probably the outlet.

Jeff has a great set of tutorials you may also want to look at.
As does the X10 WIKI.

If you decide on an XTB-IIR I would not wait too long. After the present stock is gone. That is supposed to be it.

http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/PZZ01.pdf
http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/XPF.pdf
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:29:02 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 06:45:12 PM »

Smarthome FilterLinc.
http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/1626.pdf

Just get a guarantee from the seller if you go the Ebay route.
The filter has a soldered in 10 amp fuse. That possibly could have been blown or I have seen a post on a run of them having a soldered component issue. Where the 10 amp coils had a poor joint on the PC Board.
For awhile there was also a 5 amp version of the module. To me the only difference I could see was the 5 amp fuse or 10 amp fuse between the models.

I have seen reports of the 5 amp XPPF getting warm if pushed too close to the 5 amp rating.

Tashtari

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 08:45:29 PM »

Thanks for the information.  Reading the wiki, I see a warning not to use two phase couplers... the PZZ01 is a phase coupler in addition to its function for blocking outside signals, and the XTB-IIR "has two coupling networks" - will these devices cause problems if they're both installed?  On that subject, could they be installed on the same 220V breaker?

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 12:22:07 AM »

The XTB-IIR can coexist with a PZZ01. I've had both on the same 2-pole (240V) breaker for over 2 years 10 years and never had an issue with the operation of either.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:13:46 AM by toasterking »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 12:51:41 AM »

While I'd highly recommend the XTB-IIR for any X10 installation, the PZZ01 is probably overkill.  Installing it while the electrical panel is first wired is easy but an electrician will probably charge a couple hundred to do it afterwards with little real benefit.  It can always be added later so there's no need to start out with one now.  I didn't put one in when I built this house and have no problems with "just" an XTB-IIR.

As for filters, I just use them on the UPS units that have PC's and for laser printers.  More can be added as needed but the XTB-IIR overcomes the need for most.

An X10 signal meter for testing would be a worthwhile purchase if you can still find one.  Jeff's XTBM is the gold standard but is no longer available.  There's an X10 Pro set on ebay right now that would at least do the job if you needed one:
https://bit.ly/3rseY2r

If you want an inexpensive plug 'n play device for running automation schedules and enabling control of X10 with Alexa or Google Home have a look at https://smartenit.com/shop/zigbee-insteon-x10-multi-protocol-gateway-hub/ for $59.99 with an Insteon/X10 PLM.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »

My XTB-IIR has a high enough X10 signal on both phases. >9.99 Volts the highest my XTBM display can go.

I did not have to filter every known signal sucker. As found with my XTBM comparing the signal level between the signal sucker connected and disconnected.

I do have a FilterLinc on my UPS. With an ISY994i controller in the front unfiltered pass through outlet and the UPS on the filtered outlet on the bottom edge.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 11:34:43 AM »

You may want to verify a Neutral power connection in your switch boxes.
Some multi-location [three way]  switches may not have one in all locations.
The X10 dimmers steal power through the load. So an incandescent or some dimmable LED bulbs are usually needed.
The On Off models with a relay in them. Do use a Neutral connection.
There are a few dimmers that can be used with inductive type loads. They also use a Neutral

Tashtari

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »

Thanks for the information!  I have ordered what I understand is one of the last XTB-IIRs, so I'll keep that as my wild card against signal trouble.  I do need to get a 220V socket installed for it, though.  Will see what the electrician says about installing the PZZ01 when I do that, I got the Leviton version of one of those off Amazon, it was seven bucks, so I figured why not...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 06:25:47 AM »

Glad you decided in an XTB-IIR.
If you did not download the modules information pages. They can give you some added information.
It does not have a power cord on it. So you would need a piece of wire and a 220 plug to wire it in.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »

Of course, there are a variety of ways to wire the XTB-IIR to power.  I installed a NEMA L14-20R outlet in my wall next to the breaker panel, and wired a NEMA L14-20P plug to my XTB-IIR.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »

You'll be very happy with that decision.  As long as the electrician is there already have you the PZZ01 in hand it shouldn't be too much more.   

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.