Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How get IBM Home Director or equivalent Software?  (Read 24691 times)

davek

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • Dot Net Code Slingers
How get IBM Home Director or equivalent Software?
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »

I have all of the IBM Home Director hardware and some other X10 odds and ends that I want to start using again after a long hiatus from fooling with X10 and getting a new old house.

Where can I download the software and user doc for IBM Home Director? I lost/misfiled the book and disk and have only the hardware.

Or is there another cheap/free software package that will work with the HD11A Home Director PC Connection module?

Thanks,
Dave

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: How get IBM Home Director or equivalent Software?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »

Dave,

You are out of luck for getting anything for IBM Home Director.  IBM is out of the home control business and a general search lead to EBAY and a bunch of outdated links.

If your computer is running Win9x, X10's Active Home and CM11a serial interface is available, if not from X10 USA, from local dealers who still stock some.

If your computer is running WinXP, Active Home Pro and the CM15a USB interface may be what you want.

The modules you have are X10 compatible, so they will work with both Active Home and Active Home Pro.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

davek

• Dot Net Code Slingers
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 05:12:26 PM »

Sure I know they are long gone and sold that business but someone must have a copy of the software and doc. Was just hoping to get it emailed or to be able to download so I could play a bit but not have to start over with a new vendor till I researched who I really wanted to deal with.

I had all the HAI stuff in my last home I sold and still have a lot of left over devices etc. I can use. I purchased HD so its not like I would be using an illegal copy. Will the Active Home software talk X10 over the HD11A PC connection module?

So is in fact Active Home Pro the way to go nowadays if you want just pure PC based X10 software and not something like HAI Omni Pro?

Thanks,
Dave

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

I had all the HAL stuff in my last home I sold and still have a lot of left over devices etc. I can use. I purchased HD so its not like I would be using an illegal copy. Will the Active Home software talk X10 over the HD11A PC connection module?

So is in fact Active Home Pro the way to go nowadays if you want just pure PC based X10 software and not something like HAL Omni Pro?

Thanks,
Dave

AFAIK, Active Home Pro works only with the USB CM15a.  I've seen zilch on the web to hear otherwise. Everything the X10 competion sells uses their hardware.   

If you want to spend the buck$ for AHP (Check out the X10 Active Pro site http://www.activehomepro.com/activehome-pro.html, they always have deals going on.) you are free to try and see if AHP will talk to the  HD11A PC connection module or not.  All of your modules are X10 compatable and will work with AHP. If it does, good (I recommend keeping the CM15a even if the other one works, you never know when it might die on you.) and let us know about it.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 08:43:44 PM »

davek:
The IBM HD11A is essentially the same as X-10's CM11A.
Download ActiveHome 1.42 from http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

The software is a little quirky under Win XP but many people use it without serious problems.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:45:37 PM »

Take Charles's suggestion. If XP doesn't throw a hissy fit with COM ports, AH will be fine.  If the interface keeps dissapearing and reappearing it's due to XP's somtimes quirky way of dealing with COM ports. 

If that happens, get AHP and the CM15a USB interface.

sastimac

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »

I had the same problem. If you go to: www.smarthome.com they have the software, including WinXP drivers that work.  :)
Copy the software set to you local computer and backup to a CD.

Enjoy

harley

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »

I just found your web site as I am trying to use my Ibm home director program which I got before I retired from IBM 10+ years ago.
It seems to have trouble communicatiing with Comm 1. Any Suggestions? 
I have the original IBM Home Director Installation cd version 2.1. Can I upload it to this forum for someone else to try..

Thanks
Harley

Buglover

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

Hi Dave,
I also have the IBM Home Director panel in the basement of a house we bought.... No remotes, not even a key to open the panel!  Two questions:
1.  Did you get an satisfactory answer to your post?
2.  Any idea where I could find a new key to open my panel and also get a replacement panel (mine's cracked)?
Help if possible..... Anyone....

Thank you,
Lori

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »

Dave -
I think the panel that Lori has might be a "structured wiring" panel, like this one here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/do10hredron/1525658605/

See the other thread she posted in:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=27399.msg153546#msg153546

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »

Dave -
I think the panel that Lori has might be a "structured wiring" panel, like this one here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/do10hredron/1525658605/

YES! I bet you are correct. I have never seen one. I will delete my post. Thanks!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Electric Dave

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 12:53:54 PM »

I have original CD for IBM home director.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.