Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Smartenit P2 Automation Rule  (Read 8192 times)

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Smartenit P2 Automation Rule
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2021, 09:28:44 PM »

I do remember that and if the light comes on tonight with the PLM unplugged then the next step would be to delete that rule.
I'll stay tuned for this evening's breaking news!

Well, if the light came on with the PLM unplugged, the problem is not with the Smartenit or an Automation Rule but elsewhere, correct?? Anyway, I have to start over, remove a few more variables and try again. I have 2- A2 porch lights, and one of them came on. Go figure. #:) I will let you know.  :'
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:31:51 PM by Moose »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2021, 11:33:32 PM »

Absolutely.  If the porch light came on at 7:20 and the PLM was unplugged, then it couldn't have come from the P2 since the PLM is what transmits the signal (the same way that your PiHG uses a CM15A to transmit X10 signals). 

You have another transmitter somewhere sending that signal and the P2 was just reporting that it saw it on the powerline.  If the HG is online with a CM15A plugged in, it could come from the HG or be something previously set in in the CM15A. Unplug the CM15A for tonight's test and think about any other controllers that might be plugged in.

One rather remote possibility, particularly in 2021, is that a neighbor on the same electrical transformer is using X10 as well and sending the mystery signal. 

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2021, 10:31:48 AM »

They said that only 1 of 2 devices on code A2 turned on.  Seems strange that only 1 turned on.  Clearly not the P2 device though.

brobin

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »

I noticed that.  It'd be a real coincidence if that bulb just happened to burn out yesterday! It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight with the RR501, PLM and CM15A all unplugged.  Holloween is over so if A2 turns on it won't be Casper the Ghost!

Moose

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2021, 01:08:18 PM »

If the HG is online with a CM15A plugged in, it could come from the HG or be something previously set in in the CM15A.

One rather remote possibility, particularly in 2021, is that a neighbor on the same electrical transformer is using X10 as well and sending the mystery signal.

I have killed HG completely for now. My nearest neighbour is about 1/2 mile away, so not likely.  :)

Moose

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2021, 01:39:07 PM »

They said that only 1 of 2 devices on code A2 turned on.  Seems strange that only 1 turned on. 

Perhaps not that unusual here. I quite often will hit A4 On and have 1 of 6 A8 lights come on. I likely still have some noise issues.

brobin

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »

I have killed HG completely for now. My nearest neighbour is about 1/2 mile away, so not likely.  :)
Keep the CM15A unplugged too if that wasn't included in killing HG completely.
Looking forward to tonight's update!

Moose

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »

I have unplugged the CM15A. Today, my whole X10 system went crazy. My security alarm console was intermittently alarming, lights going on and off.
A lot of the light activity was not showing up on the Smartenit app either. And  at times the Harmony would lose connectivity.

Anyway, if you remember a while back, before I built all those inline 20 amp filters, my problems were found to be caused by some LED lighting. I put a filter on the circuit and all was well. I have just disconnected the 2 -15' lengths of rope lighting that I think is the source. Things have been quiet for the last hour.  :)%

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2021, 06:04:10 PM »

How many X10 Controllers do you have on your setup. So far I’m counting three.

brobin

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2021, 06:24:35 PM »

Well maybe it IS Casper the Ghost after all! :o You unplug much more and you'll be living by candlelight!

When I replaced an incandescent pool light with an LED it shut down most of X10 for the house when it turned on.  Jeff Volp's article suggested a hash choke between the X10 wired in module and the LED bulb which solved the problem.  My local electronics surplus outlet had a box of unmarked chokes that were pretty beefy looking (an engineering term for sure) so I tried one and it worked.  Next time I was there I grabbed a handful and I'm happy to send you one if you need it.  The one that Jeff recommends is on ebay as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/322651422833

When you say the Harmony would lose connectivity do you mean from the internet or the PLM not being able to receive/transmit?

Glad things settled down and looking forward to this evening's report. 

Moose

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2021, 09:13:49 PM »

Yes I have 3, only 2 connected right now. The Smartenit Harmony and the X10 Security console. Actually I have another but it is usually on idle. IE it is on House code B where as, all my devices are on House code A.

Well, the Porch light did not turn on at 7:20, or any other time. But, half of my Living room lights, A8, went off about 6-8 times per hour and did not show up on the Smartenit log. Harmony losing connectivity was my conclusion when I would try and control a device with the app and the device would go red.

We can talk more about the choke tomorrow. Thanks.

brobin

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2021, 12:15:47 AM »

So from where we are on the phantom A2 at 7:20 command it appears that unplugging the CM15A solved it. That means that HG or something programmed directly into the CM15A (through AHP) is causing it.  If you want to keep those items in the mix you could look at clearing the CM15A's memory (see: https://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28827.0) as well as looking for the mystery timer in HG.

Now let's look at the Harmony connection issue.  If you go to the Dashboard and look at the P2 Gateway icon you should see a green dot in the upper left corner of the box.  If it's red it means that the app can't see the P2 which means that the P2 isn't connected to the internet/Smartenit server. Check your Ethernet cable and switch (if one is being used).

If you're just seeing a red circle around the on/off button of a device when you tap it then check the USB cable to the PLM and the power outlet it's plugged into.  That red circle means the command can't be sent.

As for the A8 problem it sounds like something is dumping a lot of garbage on your powerline and you need to see what else it could be other than the LED lights you unplugged.  Maybe another LED bulb that's in the process of failing?  It could be a bulb's internal power supply has overheated and is trashing the line.  See what you can find on that front.

One step forward, two steps back!

Moose

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »

I have never used AHP or put batteries in my CM15a's. Do you believe it likely that something got stored in memory??

This morning was interesting. The main kitchen light consists of 3 LED bulbs and 3 incandescent bulbs. I originally did this with compact fluorescent bulbs to make the load resistive enough to control with X10. I think one or more of these LED bulbs must be failing. For about an hour, the Kitchen light, A3, switched off about 6 times. Then it settled down.

The Harmony going red has stopped since disconnecting the LED rope lights.

brobin

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »

If you never used AHP it's unlikely that anything is stored in the memory that wouldn't have showed up before.  So, by process of elimination, the HG program would seem to be the culprit for the 7:20pm A2 signal.

As for the other problems you're having, the various LED devices seem to be the culprit.  Perhaps they're all getting old now and developing power supply issues.  They say the bulbs will last for 30 years but that doesn't account for the time for the power supplies to fail.  LED bulbs/devices are a bit of a crapshoot since the manufacturers - particularly of the cheap Chinese generic ones - are built as cheaply as possible without much regard for component quality. BTW, if the LED bulbs don't say 'dimmable' never use them with a lamp module or dimmer switch as the power supplies will prematurely fail.  You could add hash chokes to all the LED circuits to help or find some name brand ones that might be be built better.  You'd wire them in series with the hot side output for the switch or module and use some heat shrink or tape on the leads.

Moose

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »

I will recheck the A8 behavior tonight because I think it continued to turn off after all LED bulbs were all off.

Another strange one today. I have an appliance module A7 plugged in that I call Test 1. I use it for command confirmation because I can hear the click of the relay. It has been going on and off this morning. It has never been on a Timer or part of a script or automation rule. It shows up in the Harmony log too.

In terms of the choke, do you think that the X10 XPF filter offers the same filtering, or does the choke address something else? I do have the XPF feeding all but the kitchen table bulbs. I think I will use all incandescents there till this is resolved.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.