🖥️ActiveHome Pro > Help & Troubleshooting

device polluting my power lines

(1/6) > >>

mike:
I know I am  beating a dead horse, but I am spinning my wheels and wasting many hours trying to get AHP to work on a different computer...   

I used to be able to make lifejacket work but I cannot get it to talk to x10nets now.

I swear you guys came up with an all in one AHP_318 install program that is just preregisted, but I'll be darn if I can find it.  Every install I try is non registered.

I need this to find an errant x10 device polluting my power lines or RF device doing it.  Just started and all my x10 has stopped working (use HG & Pi).  Thank goodness for my XTBR!  It is showing the constant activity blinding my power line with its red LED. 

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: mike on September 12, 2021, 03:49:30 PM ---I need this to find an errant x10 device polluting my power lines or RF device doing it.  Just started and all my x10 has stopped working (use HG & Pi).  Thank goodness for my XTBR!  It is showing the constant activity blinding my power line with its red LED.
--- End quote ---

If there is another repeater on the same utility transformer, you may be experiencing "command ping-pong", which is when two repeaters bounce a command back and forth between each other.

Another not so random occurrence is a wireless remote being accidentally triggered by either setting something heavy down on it or it being stuck in a location where one or more buttons are pressed.  Years ago one person reported a Maxi Controller was transmitting continuously because a water leak had dripped onto it.

A third possibility is a TM751 or RR501 getting stuck in a loop after a bright or dim command.  I had that happen myself.

And of course, it could be the controller program stuck in a transmit loop.

Jeff

mike:
Thanks for ideas Jeff.

I have experienced ping-pong many times in the past;  this is different.  It is like random noise blanketing the PLC  signals. 
-  My Monteray signal analyzer shows a steady 90-100mv noise floor, which IIRC is perfectly fine for here.  Nothing showing while the XTRB is flashing away.
-  My Elk automation signal meter shows nothing.
- In trying to get access to cm15a with ahp, I saw F2 list had about 10 C3/C5/C7 RF rcvd signals, but I think they were accurate as I was walking thru the rooms they are associated with.  Nothing else.  In the past, ping-pong here shows up clearly in the history list.

A friend recently gave me a box of about 30 X10 modules and things, mostly new, that he has had for 20-30 years; I DID put batteries in the two HR12a remotes, and neither worked although they flashed the light - I think they are too far off frequency.  I figured no led, no output so left batteries in them on the workbench.  Just removed them to see next time I test.  I need to get an ahp running I can plug into it at the offending location ;  then I could easily see in history...

I do have some TM751's around;  perhaps I should unplug them for test - thanks.

The cm15a has no program in it and XTRB continues same random flashing every 1 sec or so with USB cable unplugged.

I am getting by for now by unplugging the cm15a from the XTRB outlet and instead plugging it into an outlet 5 feet away.  This should give me some clue but I do not see it yet other than guessing the noise/signal issue is on the other side of the 220...

I plan to try to get a working copy of AHP going to replug into the XTRB in the next couple days to continuue testing.  Thanks again for your help!

brobin:
Another thing to look at are the multitude of wall warts throughout your home.  I recently found that a Tivo Mini wall wart that's been fine for 6 years started pumping out X10 killing noise. 

Brian H:
I picked up a few different brand. Deformable Overhead LED Lights. That install in a standard ceiling light socket.
One gives me a .99V noise reading on my XTBM but no valid X10 messages seen.
Another has a .2uF cap measured across the screw plug. It acts like a signal sucker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version