Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't Download Timers and Macros Sometimes  (Read 4924 times)

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Can't Download Timers and Macros Sometimes
« on: October 16, 2021, 02:11:51 AM »

Hello,
Having a problem when I download Timers and Macros.  When I reboot the PC, it will work a few times (maybe) and then nothing happens. Sometimes I get the progress bar at the bottom of the screen but then it freezes at some point.

I also found if I try to update the Hardware Configuration, I sometimes get the progress bar and then it freezes. If I then try to download the timers and macros still noting happens.

I can turn modules on and off however, nothing gets transmitted through the CM15A. The Activity Monitor shows no activity.

Also the "Clear Interface Memory" has the same problem.
X10nets is running the whole time.
The one solution that clears this up is when I reboot the PC. (Windows 10).

Could this be the CM15A hardware is failing OR did AHP get corrupted?
Is it possible that line noise is preventing the CM15A from communicating with the PC?

I am using version 3.318 that I installed a few years ago using Tuicemens lifejacket.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

spam4us

Re: Can't Download Timers and Macros Sometimes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 12:27:46 PM »

Update:
I used a new USB cable...Fresh batteries.
After I unplugged and reboot of the PC, I still have problems.
I was able to download Timers and Macros sometimes.
I ran the Clear Interface Memory. It ran for 3 hours and completed.
I ran the Timers and Macros function and it froze.

I then did a new install of AHP 3.318 on a laptop using Tuicemens' lifejacket. The install went fine.

I still have the same problems even on the new laptop install. It sometimes works and sometimes freezes.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 08:18:53 AM »

I like many here have stopped using AHP for some time now. AHP is very old windows software created to run on Win 98. Microsoft continually releases software security patches which starting with XP caused issues with AHP.
 Prior to totally abandoning AHP I experanced the issues your seeing as well as some others. I was able to get things working by simply moving the AHP folder out side of the programsfiles x86 folder and rebooting.
 With Windows 11 now on the horizon I expect things to get worse for those still using AHP.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 11:24:42 AM »

You might want to repurpose an old laptop or buy a used one and run 32 bit WIN7 if Mr. T's advice doesn't work.  I did exactly that to run my 20 year old Stargate software.  In my case the software is only used to make changes to the Stargate but it should work for you.  You don't even have to leave it connected to the internet.

spam4us

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I think my day of reckoning has come. :'(
I've had x10 since the 70' Radio Shack/DAK days. Use to run X10 on a C64.

Tuicemen, I have moved the AHP out of the x86 folder after I did the new install on the laptop. That didn't help.

Brobin, I might do that. I have a couple of old desktops sitting around. Can't remember if they work or not. The only hesitation of scrounging up some old hardware is that it too will break one day and the part(s) may not be available.

The Downloads to the CM15A seem to work if I only do it once or twice in a row. When I clear memory or update the hardware configuration is where it freezes and need I unplug and the reboot. After a successful download, AHP works reliably. (All timers and macros are stored in the interface)

With that said, is there any alternative Plug-N-Play replacement  for the CM15A and AHP that will work with my existing hardware. I also use a V572RF32 and 2 DS7000 alarms that have 32 sensors attached.
In addition, I have a large box of new X10 hardware I've accumulated over the years.

I use AHP for timers and to interact with the X10 motion sensors via macros. I need that functionality.
This is just one example of what I do with AHP.  I have others.
A macro to trigger a flood light to come on would be.....
Motion Sensor ON..
Is Light Flag ON …
  Turn light ON...
  Set Chime on macro to ON....
ELSE
  Set Chime Macro ON
(In chime on macro)..
Is Chime Flag On
  Set Chime On
Both the Light and Chime Flags (monitored house code) are on dusk dawn AHP timers. I can also turn there Flags on and off manually with and X10 controller. If I do not want the light to come on when I pass under a sensor, it won't. 
Motion Sensor Off
If Light Flag is on
 Turn light OFF
Else
 Leave light on(do nothing)

Looking for an Off The Shelf solution, if it exist, that will work with the X10 modules and a replacement for the CM15A(if needed).

Thank you both for your time and effort. I appreciate the help.

brobin

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 06:01:42 PM »

There is a Plug & Play device that you might find worthy of replacing the CM15A.  The solution I'm using is a Smartenit Harmony P2 with an Insteon/X10 PLM.  At $60 for both it's an economical solution that not only gives you Alexa skill supported control of X10 but an app and a fairly sophisticated controller with email and text notifications.  I've been using it for almost 3 years and it's rock solid.  It's basically what X10's WM100 should have been and is half the price.  It's virtually Plug 'n Play so you can be up and running 30 minutes after you open the box.  Everything is done through an Android/IOS app or web portal.  In addition to X10, you can also use it to control Insteon and ZigBee devices.  When ordering be sure to click on the Insteon/X10 PLM making the bundle $59.99.  Happy to answer any questions you may have. The scheduling logic is a little different but you can do what you describe. 

https://smartenit.com/shop/zigbee-insteon-x10-multi-protocol-gateway-hub/

spam4us

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 03:18:26 AM »

Unfortunately, the Insteon/x10 PLM has been discontinued and is also out of stock.
Do you know of any other options? Maybe Homeseer or ???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 06:10:06 AM »

Look at the Smartenit sales page for the P2.
In the choose options tab add the 2412U (USB) or their own USB PLM. To the order. As it uses a USB port and not a serial port. There are two versions of the PLM. Serial port and USB port.
Making sure you pick the add Insteon with X10 power line PLM option. Not the RF only one that does not do power line and X10.

They have the power line only 2412U PLM made for them. Or their own equivalent.

Sounds like you where looking at the Smarthome web site and I believe {lasts time I looked) the USB 2413U is still their.
The serial version 2413S has been out of stock for a long time now.
Though why for this setup. As it is just more costly and the RF portion is Insteon 915MHz and not X10 310MHz
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:14:33 AM by Brian H »

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 06:11:40 AM »

I’m surprised to see nobody has suggested, other than yourself that it’s likely to be a failing CM15 at the root of your problem. If you’re happy enough with your current setup it would be simpler to just to replace your CM15.

There are loads of alternatives to AHP you could use but do you really want to go through the learning curve when AHP has served you well up to now. Not having ever used AHP I can see one big advantage that the CM15 has in its favour. The ability to download macros and timers to it’s built in memory and unplug it from the computer. Every other option requires some form of computer running 24/7 for X10 to function.

If you really do need AHP running permanently, as what was suggested, get an old PC with the likes of Windows XP and install it. Leave it disconnected from the outside world and you’re good to go.

X10 is what it is. Old tech. No need to complicate matters here. Stay in your comfort zone is my advice.

brobin

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 08:47:50 AM »

Unfortunately, the Insteon/x10 PLM has been discontinued and is also out of stock.
Do you know of any other options? Maybe Homeseer or ???

Were you told that by Smartenit? As Brian H said they have their own version and I'd be very surprised if they were out of stock. Even if they are, you can find used 2412U and 2413U PLM's on ebay. You can even use the serial version with a serial-to-USB adapter.  But do check with Smartenit again.  I think you'd be very pleased with the P2 and it's ability to work with Alexa/Google Home.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 09:09:09 AM »

There is the possibility your CM15 is failing as Petera stated. However if the CM15 still transmits and works once programed and disconnected from the PC I would try a older OS to run AHP. Saddly AHP is the only software capable of downloading info to the CM15A.
 The OP suggests (to me) spam4us runs the Cm15 connected to the PC. If this is indeed the case there is no need to download macros and timers to the interface nor is there need to use batteries. I still use a CM15A both at my city residents and my off grid place. Neither has batteries or info stored in the CM15A memory.
 The Smartenit solution is a bit clunky ( just my opinion) but still cheeper then a new CM15.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03:04 AM »

Just use care with Ebay and the 2413U.
The 2413U and 2413S have a reputation of their power supplies failing.
Most times after a few years of use.
We actually have a long thread on the UDI forums. On the issue and how we are rebuilding ours.

brobin

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 12:12:16 PM »

The 2412U is rock solid but the 2413U, which has RF for Insteon, can fail from caps blowing.  Over the years I've brought a few back to life by replacing the caps.  I bought a "for parts only" one on ebay for next to nothing, replaced the caps and it was good to go.  All that said, when I add the P2 with the Insteon/X10 PLM to the cart on the Smartenit site it does not say out of stock even though it does if you want to buy the PLM separately.  I sent a message to support to find out if they still have them when ordering a P2 and will update whan I hear back from them.

brobin

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 01:09:46 PM »

Well that was fast.  When ordering the P2 or G2 from Smartenit the Insteon/X10 PLM is still available as a $20 add-on bringing the P2 bundle to $59.99.

Here's their reply to my query of "Is the Insteon/X10 PLM still available with the purchase of the P2 Hub?":

Hi Bruce - yes it is. The 2412U is a $20 add-on to the Harmony P2 found here.
https://smartenit.com/shop/zigbee-insteon-x10-multi-protocol-gateway-hub/

Best regards,

Suzanne "Sammy" Korotie
Corporate and Sales Administrator
Smartenit, Inc.
1 Technology Drive, Ste D405

Irvine, CA 92618
Phone: (949) 429-3303 ext. 1
Fax:  (949) 238-2552
https://smartenit.com/

spam4us

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 02:03:58 PM »

Well, this is confusing. The link brobin supplied has the option for the add on. The description below it says..."Base System plus our choice of either a SmartLabs 2412U PLM or Smartenit EZICOMM for control of INSTEON and X10 devices via powerline ONLY."

If I search for the 2412U on the Smartenit site it returns this page
https://smartenit.com/?s=2412u
If you click on Read More it then says..."Please Note:  These are out of stock and discontinued. If you wish to purchase the USB version 2412U, you can find it here on ebay. It is a powerline only PLM (with a pass-through outlet) and appears different than the picture shown."

When I go to the ebay link, the description says the 2412U has been discontinued but they have a limited supply left.

My concern is that I do not want to purchase the 2412U if it's discontinued because if it fails and then not available, I will be in the same place I am now.

brobin….are there any links that show how to setup the software for If,Then,Else conditions? Any links that show/explain how the software works?

Tuicemen...I keep the CM15A disconnected from the PC. Why do you think the Smartenit is clunky?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.