Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't Download Timers and Macros Sometimes  (Read 4927 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Can't Download Timers and Macros Sometimes
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »

Unlike the problem with the 2413U, I've found the 2412U is very reliable as I've had some for many years from when I was using Insteon.
That said, I understand your hesitation to buy something that may not be easily replaced.  Between 2412/2413U/S I have a lifetime supply  so I'm not concerned (I'm old!).  You might reach out to Sammie at Smartenit and ask about replacement availability or including a spare for an additional $20 and see what she says. 

The app has context sensitive help but not much in writing as it's fairly intuitive.  If you could send me a copy of the If-Then-Else event that you're trying to replicate I'll be happy to try and recreate it as a P2 Automation Rule and send you a screenshot.  That'd be easier then trying to explain it.

Another controller option, if it's still available, is a used JDS Time Commander.  It uses the same software as the Stargate that I've been running for 20+ years.  There's one available as part of a $99 package at https://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=31518.0
The Time Commander runs without a PC but you do need a 32 bit version of WIN to connect.  In fact, I have a NIB RCI CS308 w/a TW523 included which is a version of the Stargate that I'd sell for $100+ postage.  You do have options!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »

Tuicemen...I keep the CM15A disconnected from the PC. Why do you think the Smartenit is clunky?

Just that it takes two pieces of hardware to do what the CM15A could. Three if you count the smartphone needed to program.  Kinda like my CM15A Pi setup,l you need two outlets.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 09:17:13 AM »

I'd confirm my issue was the Cm15 prior to getting any new hardware.
Test with a PC running a 32bit version of Windows.
 If the only issue is downloading to the Cm15 and it works fine otherwise. There are lots of options.

If your CM15A fails to see or send any x10 while connected to the  32 bit Os with the CM15A memory cleared it is toast and new hardware is required.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 09:42:03 AM »

Other than the CM15A (and its predecessors) and the WM100, I can't think of any controller that isn't "clunky" as they all use a TW-523/XTB-232 or Insteon PLM.  As for using a PC and/or Smartphone for programming, every controller, including the CM-15A, requires that.  The only exception that I know of is the old BSR "The Timer" which is the only on-board programmable controller.   rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5lzHtxdW4

« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:44:02 AM by brobin »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 10:37:02 AM »

I have a few I thought of.
The X10 MT10A,MT13A,MT14A can do about the same thing as the BSR Timer. Table top like the BSR.

The Smarthome 1132CU could also be programmed with a computer and then run stand alone. Is the same case used by the Insteon PLM and PLC.

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »

If the only issue is downloading to the Cm15 and it works fine otherwise. There are lots of options.
I am running 32 bit Windows. The only issue I have is trying to dnload macros or update the hardware interface.
I changed all my macros and timers to run from the PC. They all work just fine. So it looks like the problem could be related to a MSoft update.

You might reach out to Sammie at Smartenit and ask about replacement availability or including a spare for an additional $20 and see what she says. 
I'll reach out to Sammie later today about replacement availability.

Since the CM15A still works from the PC, I am looking at the following options.
Do nothing.
Look into the Smartenit hub
Look at other software that can use the CM15A or equivalent.
Right now, I only have X10 around my house but will probably have other non-X10 hardware.

The AHP software has served me well over the years but it takes some trial and error to get thing working correctly. An example is when I just switched to having the macros run from the PC. When they were running from the interface, I had to put delays within them for them to work. Running from the PC, the macros work without the delays. (go figure)

With that in mind, I have been looking at HomeSeer since it works with the CM15A and other hardware to run X10 (ACT TI103 X-10 Computer Interface or others). Homeseer works with a lot of hardware and has a large community base of users.

So....it looks like my analysis will continue for a little while since this is what I do.
Thanks

brobin

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 12:45:34 PM »

I have a few I thought of.
The X10 MT10A,MT13A,MT14A can do about the same thing as the BSR Timer. Table top like the BSR.

The Smarthome 1132CU could also be programmed with a computer and then run stand alone. Is the same case used by the Insteon PLM and PLC.

I guess we could include the GE HomeMinder but that required a TV and a remote for programming - now THAT's clunky!  I had one of those for awhile but if the power went out for more than 10 seconds you had to reprogram the whole thing from scratch!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 02:25:10 PM »

I am running 32 bit Windows. The only issue I have is trying to dnload macros or update the hardware interface.
I changed all my macros and timers to run from the PC. They all work just fine. So it looks like the problem could be related to a MSoft update.

You might reach out to Sammie at Smartenit and ask about replacement availability or including a spare for an additional $20 and see what she says. 
I'll reach out to Sammie later today about replacement availability.

Since the CM15A still works from the PC, I am looking at the following options.
Do nothing.
Look into the Smartenit hub
Look at other software that can use the CM15A or equivalent.
Right now, I only have X10 around my house but will probably have other non-X10 hardware.

The AHP software has served me well over the years but it takes some trial and error to get thing working correctly. An example is when I just switched to having the macros run from the PC. When they were running from the interface, I had to put delays within them for them to work. Running from the PC, the macros work without the delays. (go figure)

With that in mind, I have been looking at HomeSeer since it works with the CM15A and other hardware to run X10 (ACT TI103 X-10 Computer Interface or others). Homeseer works with a lot of hardware and has a large community base of users.

So....it looks like my analysis will continue for a little while since this is what I do.
Thanks

Just a couple of pointers before I finish on this topic. X10 is no longer officially supported in Homeseer. Hasn’t been for quite a while. One of the forum members supports it in his spare time. You’ll have a bit of learning before you’re up to speed too. Most if not all of the other alternatives will require support and learning too.

X10 ownership has fallen off the cliff over the last number of years. Just look at eBay X10 second hands for sale as an example. Support is down to a trickle everywhere. This is probably the last bastion for X10 help.

You’ve two choices here. Dump X10 and move on or get your AHP/CM15 back on track. The CM15 may work attached to your AHP computer as it will with any other computer supporting the CM15 protocol. The problem appears to be when you leave the CM15 to do its job as a stand-alone programmed X10 Controller. That would point to failing eprom/memory.

As I suggested a replacement CM15 new $80 with an old AHP PC to program it and you’re back in business and working completely in your comfort zone. If you do fancy a challenge there’s plenty of info here on Homegenie which can be used in conjunction with a replacement CM15 on your current PC or if you prefer a Raspberry Pi so you won’t be out of pocket in either case.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.