Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Replacing Ring Doorbell motion Alarm  (Read 4011 times)

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
Re: Replacing Ring Doorbell motion Alarm
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 01:40:12 PM »

never again... will all my eggs be in one basket. (like I found myself with X10) 
That makes complete sense.  X10's product line also cannot currently compete with offerings from other vendors.  But I at least like to own the eggs, not rent them.  With the exception of the WM100 and, to a degree, AHP (neither of which I use), I feel like I get that with X10, which is part of the value for me.  :)

I don't really wish to start another cloud-vs.-autonomous war, but it's something I do think about every time I implement something new.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 02:52:57 PM »

... X10's product line also cannot currently compete with offerings from other vendors.  But I at least like to own the eggs, not rent them.  With the exception of the WM100 and, to a degree, AHP (neither of which I use), I feel like I get that with X10, which is part of the value for me.  :)

I am very dependent on X10 remotes (and X10 devices) in my theater. NOTHING beats an old fashioned handheld remote for controlling audio-video (or even lighting in a Home Theater).

But admittedly... we no-longer buy the DVD/Blue Ray movies (in the theater or living room). Mostly we stream from the services we use... FOR A (several different) MONTHLY FEE's. I HATE this (no ownership) part of modern life. But realistically I guess it means less crap to be settled via an estate sale (LOL).

I mounted a (very nice) antenna outside, and set it up so it can be shared among the TV's. So at least I CAN get some FREE (no fee) TV. But, I've had cable since 1976. So I don't really understand my own paradigm about free TV.

P.S. The Yolink stuff has/uses a little hub and will work when the Internet fails.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:55:34 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 01:54:16 PM »

I think I have found a solution.  -:) I have been using UNIFI cameras for a while now and like them. No monthly fees and not too expensive. The G4 cameras or doorbell have a reasonable AI function for person and vehicle detection. Better than the Reolink cameras that I have also played with.

I have also been experimenting with Homeseer and discovered that they have plug-in to interface with UNIFI. I was able to create an event in Homeseer that takes the Person detected from the G4 doorbell and trigger a Routine in Alexa using a Skill called Voice Monkey to announce that "there is a person near the door". I maybe able to avoid using those dadgum X10 motion sensors.  :)

Moose

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 01:26:48 PM »

For those not familiar with UNIFI cameras, here are some photos showing the Person and Vehicle detection. The first 3 are from a G4 Dome, the last is from a GR Doorbell. For use with the Homeseer plugin, I have a choice of using Any motion, which I use to turn on a Porch light, or use Person or Vehicle ID for voice announcements with Alexa.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 01:30:47 PM by Moose »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 12:57:36 PM »

This looks much improved over Blue Iris from the last time I tried it years ago.  I was considering doing a set of outdoor cameras and a central HA system to determine what the motion was in order to trigger automation.  However, at the time, it took too much computing power to run 1 let alone a larger number of cameras.  Impressive.

Moose

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 01:49:04 PM »

This looks much improved over Blue Iris from the last time I tried it years ago.  I was considering doing a set of outdoor cameras and a central HA system to determine what the motion was in order to trigger automation.  However, at the time, it took too much computing power to run 1 let alone a larger number of cameras.  Impressive.

It is working reasonably well. I started with just a standard mechanical doorbell with the Ding-Dong connected to the Unifi Doorbell push-button. I then had 2 MS16a triggering motion from either door via a X10 Universal module to ring the single Ding. But too many false Dings.

With the Unifi camera setup I have Alexa say that "there is motion/ a vehicle/ or a person at the door".
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.