Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Replacing Ring Doorbell motion Alarm  (Read 3955 times)

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Replacing Ring Doorbell motion Alarm
« on: October 25, 2021, 04:44:01 PM »

For the last few years I have had a Ring doorbell complete with Chimes. The tinkle-tinkle was useful if someone came to the door but did not push the button. I have replaced the Ring with a UNIFI G4 doorbell and it works well. I wired up a new mechanical bell. The G4 rings the ding-dong. I have a MS16A triggering a Universal module set to Momentary, Relay Only. This is wired to trip the Ding chime. So, this system works well enough. But the noise of the Universal module relay is annoying. Anyone have any suggestions for different hardware?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Replacing Ring Doorbell motion Alarm
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 06:29:04 AM »

You may want to look at the Insteon 2450 I/OLinc.
It can be programmed with an X10 address. One for the relay control and one for sending an X10 On Off with the dry contact Sensor Input.
30 volts @ 5A max SPDT relay. That can have the relay turn on and then time out.
The relay is much quieter than the mechanical switch in a Universal Module.

Due to the on going parts shortages. I am not too sure it is even available right now or if it would be what you wanted.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 09:29:00 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. That could work, if I can find one.  ;)
I have been poking around the net for ideas and stumbled on the Shelley Motion sensor. https://shelly.cloud/shelly-motion-smart-home-automation-sensor/
I could have it trigger Alexa to make an announcement instead of ring a doorbell. Any thoughts? Anyone tried it?

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 10:40:10 PM »

Moose, your noisy relay Universal Module must be several years old, as Authinix upgraded the relay to a new quiet type back in 2018 or 2019.  I purchased a UM506 directly from x10.com in Nov 2019, and the relay is quiet.  If you replace your Universal Module with a new one, I suggest you purchase directly from x10.com, as other sellers might still be selling the old ones with a noisy relay.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 10:12:41 AM »

Well that was too easy.  B:(  :) Yes, mine is a bit old. Thanks. And it looks like they are available.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 10:37:40 AM »

Moose, your noisy relay Universal Module must be several years old, as Authinix upgraded the relay to a new quiet type back in 2018 or 2019.  I purchased a UM506 directly from x10.com in Nov 2019, and the relay is quiet.
Wow, thanks, @x10wizard!  I had no idea.  I've been avoiding X10 Universal Modules for years because of the loud mechanism.  I've also been looking for the really old tan-colored ones when I actually had to have one because the momentary delay can be tweaked with a capacitor swap and they're less susceptible to erratic switching on line transients.  But it figures that Authinx would redesign it and then not make it obvious.  Same model number, same look, same labels... not even an updated description on the page.  If they had updated some of this stuff and made an announcement, they would have had my money earlier.

What I'd really love to see is more momentary features: adjustable pulse interval, adjustable number of pulses, DPDT contacts at least.  Combining it with something like the FRM01 timer board would be amazing.  I think I'll buy an updated UM506 now and see if a quick mod is more doable with the new design.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »

Thank you for the update on the Universal Module.
My older ones do not have a relay in them.
They have a large low voltage high current slide switch and a plunger on each end.
With a coil on each end. Pulling the switch to either the on or off side of the switch.
With the resulting snap of the coil pulling the switch to its other position.

toasterking

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 11:13:31 AM »

Thank you for the update on the Universal Module.
My older ones do not have a relay in them.
They have a large low voltage high current slide switch and a plunger on each end.
With a coil on each end. Pulling the switch to either the on or off side of the switch.
With the resulting snap of the coil pulling the switch to its other position.
The only ones I've ever seen have this design.  Your description is perfect, and I agree that it's a stretch to call this odd arrangement of parts a relay.  Perhaps a dual-coil bistable latching relay, but an odd, loud, and flimsy one.

I ordered a UM506 from x10.com and I'll share details on the innards when I receive it.  I see that they still list the PUM01 (the X-10 Pro version) also, but of course the description gives no indication as to what is different internally, if anything.

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 12:39:54 PM »

FYI, the updated UM506 has a Hongfa HFE20-1/12-1HST-L2 relay.
http://www.hongfaamerica.com/hq/PDF/HFE20_en.pdf

toasterking

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 03:49:51 PM »

FYI, the updated UM506 has a Hongfa HFE20-1/12-1HST-L2 relay.
http://www.hongfaamerica.com/hq/PDF/HFE20_en.pdf
Thanks again, @x10wizard! That's extremely helpful!

So it looks like it does still use a dual-coil bistable latching relay, but a "real" one this time, and no doubt more durable.  The coil voltage is rated at 12VDC.  The datasheet also lists a minimum pulse width of 50ms to the coil to perform switching.  So I'm hoping that means that this redesigned module gives a "proper" DC pulse via a transistor driven by the microcontroller, rather than just an SCR that connects the coil to the AC line for 1/2 cycle as in the older design.  If there is a more usable DC pulse there, it could possibly be used to trigger TWO external circuits (one for ON, one for OFF), bypassing the relay entirely.  I am hopeful.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 07:56:30 PM »

I have a ring motion detecting floodlight. I have it set-up so Alexa speaks (says activity detected in the driveway). I also have a simple ring motion detector that also speaks a location.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Moose

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 09:17:57 PM »

I have a ring motion detecting floodlight. I have it set-up so Alexa speaks (says activity detected in the driveway). I also have a simple ring motion detector that also speaks a location.

But, HA Dave, I am trying to get away from the Ring system.  :) I did like the functionality. The last straw for me was their decision to kill the desktop app.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 12:26:38 AM »

The last straw for me was their decision to kill the desktop app.

I understand. I retired as a admin (window PC's).

There was a time when I was convinced that Apple (for computing uses) was a waste of time. Then... iphone's happened.

Phone sized computing and cloud-based services.... aren't the future (I don't know what the future is) BUT.... phones, apps, and cloud services are the way things work today.

The things we could do with the expertise found here at this forum.... using FUTURE technology would be awesome. It's amazing what people here can create using yesterdays tech! But the use of TODAYS tech is the easiest best way to enjoy the best that home automation has to offer... today.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 07:37:11 AM »

In the beginning, I liked Apple. I had an Apple II+ clone back in the day. But I came to dislike their business model when they chose to not license to other companies. I really do not like how so many people do ALL their computing on a phone. But that can be another discussion.

Your last comments are why I posed the question. I have a solution to a motion alarm using X10, but it is not very elegant. I am testing another idea where I am using an Amazon Echo Plus with Zigbee Hub. I have a Smart things sensor and a Hue motion sensor that I am using to have Alexa announce "Motion at the Door".

Other suggestions are welcome and encouraged!

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »

... I really do not like how so many people do ALL their computing on a phone.

LOL Paradigms.... 

I am testing another idea where I am using an Amazon Echo Plus with Zigbee Hub. I have a Smart things sensor and a Hue motion sensor that I am using to have Alexa announce "Motion at the Door".

Other suggestions are welcome and encouraged!

YoLink Smart Home Inexpensive and reliable (I buy their stuff through Amazon). I have been using the motion sensor in the laundry room for 2-3 years. And a door/window sensor for my garage door announcement for even longer. I've even just ordered more.... for water/leak detection to shut-off my water main. Will be installing after Thanksgivings.

You (anyone, me included) could run an entire home with this stuff. BUT.... never again... will all my eggs be in one basket. (like I found myself with X10) 
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.