Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HA-Bridge vs TRIGGERcmd  (Read 1110 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
HA-Bridge vs TRIGGERcmd
« on: January 24, 2022, 02:02:30 PM »

I've had a chance to run these side by side and the clear winner (IMO) is TRIGGERcmd.

My HA-Bridge stopped being able to have Alexa recognized new devices  :( this is what got me looking into TRIGGERcmd)
HA-Bridge still gives me control over my x10 devices I had previously discovered so I compared controlling those x10 devices.
Occasionaly I get the "device is not responding" reply from Alexa for devices configured with HA-Bridge.
HA-Bridge has a helper for Home Genie and other software which works great.
If you can get Alexa to see new devices created it would be possible to trigger the same things.
Sadly HA-Bridge stopped being able to work with Google some time ago.
The Bridge mimics a Philips HUE hub so code must be continually kept updated as Amazon changes things.

With TRIGGERcmd I've yet to get this "device is not responding" reply and maybe it is my imagination but devices seem to respond quicker.
Unlike HA-Bridge there are not helper files so setup is similar before helper files were added to the Bridge. Maybe not quit as difficult.
TRIGGERcmd requires a yearly subscription to be able to run from multiple computers and issue a Voice command more then once per minute luckily I don't require this. ( I do have ways around the 1 per min call if required)
TRIGGER does both Alexa and Google Home though I prefer Alexa. I've tested with both.
TRIGGER uses skills which once created, Amazon and Google maintain so they always work with the intended service.
TRIGGER does have a Github page but also has a forum which if a question is posted it usually gets a quick reply.

I've only been using TRIGGERcmd for slightly over a month verses years compared to HA-Bridge, so issues may pop up.
I removed HA-Bridge from my PiX10Hub a day or so ago (hope I don't regret it). ::) :'
 My off grid place still only uses HA-Bridge but I suspect I'll be moving to TRIGGERcmd once I need to add a new device for Alexa control. Or maybe the "device isn't responding" reply may get to be too much. ::) :'

If your using either or both of these I'd love to read your impressions.  >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: HA-Bridge vs TRIGGERcmd
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 11:00:13 AM »

I've been using the Smartenit device for my x10 devices to Alexa.  Works better than HA Bridge but has an occasional hiccup.  Maybe I will try TRIGGERcmd.  Does it run on the x10 hub or as an Alexa skill ?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 05:53:40 PM »

I have TRIGGERcmd installed on my PiX10Hub it connects to a cloud server which is currently moving to AWS. Once there it should be even faster though I've not had issues.
You need to install the program and register to get a key this allows the Alexa & or Google skill to connect.
Log onto the TRIGGERcmd forum for extra help.
I've created a thread there to help with HG integration however you can control X10 without HG using any number of softwares depending on what OS you install it to.  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 06:29:40 PM »

It should be noted that TRIGGERcmd has 3 Alexa and Google skills you want the TRIGGERcmd Smarthome skill though I have all 3 enabled. The Smarthome version doesn't allow custom feed back of triggered variable results but performs better for just turning things on and off.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.