Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Generators  (Read 1669 times)

AMXoldhack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Generators
« on: January 13, 2022, 08:05:20 PM »

I'm preparing for a winter storm. looked at the output of my gen on a scope. reasonable pretty clean sign wave   given how almost all X10 devices have a front end capacitance supply I wonder how they would hold up. Preparing a whole house transfer system.
If this has been covered before I'd appreciate a link. ;)

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Generators
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 08:14:33 PM »

Can't tell you if it's been covered or even any specifics as I'm no engineer. I can tell you though, that my X10 setup works and runs on my old portable genny that is way over clocked (i.e.: digital clocks gain about 45 per day) Even not on s clean wave and not 60Hz, system still functions and timers set in CM15a still work, although timing ends up a bit off...

AMXoldhack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 08:46:28 PM »

:) Thanks for your input. My worst fear was when I switch over to the genny I'd have a bunch of little fires starting all over my house  :(
Many years ago I tested some modules with a square wave inverter. The results were disastrous.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 06:45:39 AM »

If your generator is a pure sine wave generator you'll have little worries.  I experiance some signal issues for modules that are on the same phase as the generators battery when it first starts but other then that every thing else runs the same. Square or modified wave generator, inverters are very hard on electronic devices and will shorten their lives.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »

inverters are very hard on electronic devices and will shorten their lives.

I thought inverters were supposed to be ideal for electronics as they generally produce the best quality sine wave.  I have a portable Honda 2200W that I've been using with my camper so laptop, mobile hotspot, firestick, etc without issue.  I tried a cheap standard generator and the only difference I saw was that the fuel didn't last as long.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 11:12:48 AM »

inverters are very hard on electronic devices and will shorten their lives.

I thought inverters were supposed to be ideal for electronics as they generally produce the best quality sine wave.  I have a portable Honda 2200W that I've been using with my camper so laptop, mobile hotspot, firestick, etc without issue.  I tried a cheap standard generator and the only difference I saw was that the fuel didn't last as long.
Not all inverters are pure sine wave nor are all generators. Usually it is the cheaper brand ones. These will still run  laptop, mobile hotspot, firestick, TVs, etc without issue, it is long term use where issues arise. I like AMXoldhack have had experience with things burning up when not on pure sine wave. A X10 TM751 was the first thing I fried, an electronic control board on my gas stove and TV were short lived as well at my off grid place.
I believe Honda generators are pure sine wave as are most if not all (none portable) that are designed for emergency whole house back up in North America.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 12:03:32 PM »

I cant say one way or the other about ramifications of using good or bad power on longevity of devices.  Ive done some research on power quality in the past and found that bad quality power will cause issues with "sensetive electronics" in the short term. That was primarily refering to audio equipment, computers, etc where the power supply could cause issues with either specific hardware (spinning hard drives, lasers on disc readers, logic operations due to inconsistent PSU voltages, etc).  If spinning drives and lasers were treated badly im sure over time that would be bad.  Im surprised that poor quality power would damage a controller on an appliance.  Ive replaced control boards on my microwave and refrigerator (both considered quality brands) but just assumed it was based on the throw away design of things today. I refuse to trash it if it can be fixed so i found a way. In those cases, the boards showed no notable damage so i have no clue of ghe real fault.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.