Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YoLink/YoSmart devices - worth a look  (Read 1718 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
YoLink/YoSmart devices - worth a look
« on: February 02, 2022, 05:42:01 PM »

I have a package drop box on the porch and have had trouble finding a wireless sensor that's reliable.  I tried an Insteon open/close sensor with my Smartenit P2 but the range on the sensor was poor and sometimes just didn't work.  I tried another el cheapo RF door sensor and receiver that triggered an X10 PSC01 but that device ran through batteries quickly and the range was also poor.  So I started looking for a sensor with a more powerful transmitter. 

I came across a line of products from YoLink, a US based company, that features LoRa Long Range transmitters that claim 1/4 mile range - or at least a few hundred feet indoors.  The system has a hub that connects to the internet, an app and an Alexa Skill.  The devices communicate with the hub - or in some cases directly with each other - using the LoRa 902-928MHz band rather than WiFi.  The lower range frequencies have better range through walls.  To try it out I bought a bundle containing 2 Door Sensors and the hub for about $40 on Amazon.

After installing the app on my phone and enabling the YoSmart Alexa Skill I plugged in the hub and scanned its QR code from the app.  The hub showed up instantly.  I did the same with one of the Door Sensors and was ready to test.  I installed the Hub in the utility room off the garage and walked around the outside perimeter of the house and around the yard.  The reception was perfect everywhere I tested it. 

In addition to connecting a device to the hub, some devices can connect directly to each other as well.  For example, the Door Sensor can be set up to be received directly by the YoLink Relay module to provide a contact closure.  When set up directly, the system will operate without an internet connection.  The hub provides notifications, 350 emails/mo. and 15 SMS/mo. with no monthly fee.

In addition to being notified when a package is delivered I also want it to sound an X10 Chime Module and flash an X10 controlled lamp in my office which is a macro I've had set up in my Stargate for many years.  To trigger that macro I set up an Alexa Routine where the YoLink Door Sensor causes Alexa to tell the Smartenit P2 to turn on an X10 module which the Stargate sees as a trigger for the macro.  A little convoluted but it works!  Yolink has other sensors too and I plan to order a few to expand the system to include motion detectors and a garage refrigerator monitor. 

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: YoLink/YoSmart devices - worth a look
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 11:32:04 PM »

If you already have X10 RF with something that can utilize security modules (CM15A for example), you can use DS10A modules too.  I have a bunch I never used because the range wasn't up to what I wanted for other things and these are a bit shorter range from other's reports.  But, the advantage of these if they would work in your current setup is that they would be very fast to respond and would not require internet access.  I suppose Jeff Bezos already knows that they delivered a package, so having that info on AWS probably isn't a concern for most people anyway, but it should ev fater and easier to maintain which might intrigue some.

brobin

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 12:21:09 AM »

I don't have a CM15A or DS10's and range is really important as I want to use these on our side yard gates too. The LoRa design has the range I need and is supposed to have good battery life.  I set it up using the hub to see how it works but if I didn't want to use the cloud at all I could pair the Door Sensor with the Relay Module directly - no hub or internet required.  The Relay Module dry contacts could be connected to one of the Stargate's digital inputs to trigger the macro.  A benefit of using the cloud is that the Alexa routines make using a Relay module unnecessary

In fact, when I was looking at what to buy I first thought about just buying a couple of Door Sensors and the Relay Module.  The Door Sensors are $18 each but they have a bundle with two of them plus the hub for $40 so it only cost $4 more to include the hub. 

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 08:25:11 AM »

If you already have X10 RF with something that can utilize security modules (CM15A for example), you can use DS10A modules too.  I have a bunch I never used because the range wasn't up to what I wanted for other things and these are a bit shorter range from other's reports.  But, the advantage of these if they would work in your current setup is that they would be very fast to respond and would not require internet access.  I suppose Jeff Bezos already knows that they delivered a package, so having that info on AWS probably isn't a concern for most people anyway, but it should ev fater and easier to maintain which might intrigue some.

Wait..I've been using X10 for 40 years and always thought you needed a security system console to use X10 security sensors (honestly never looked any farther than my assumption). So you can use an RF X10 security door/window or motion sensor to trigger an X10 response in the CM15A and AHP (which I still use)?

Door sensors could be a game changer for me instead of Active Eye motion sensors to trigger lights for a breezeway and my shop!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 11:23:59 AM »

I used the security sensors with AHP once the SDK was released.  The OnAlert plugin just made it easier. Even third party software can see x10 security sensors if a cm19 or cm15 is used.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 04:02:37 PM »

It's been a few months since I started using the Yolink devices so I thought I'd post an update.  I continue to be impressed!  I now have Door Sensors on my Package Box, garage fridge and the weatherproof versions on each of two side gates.  I have the temperature alert in the garage fridge to report the freezer temp and two Garage Door tilt sensors.  I started with one hub which was fine but added their new Speaker Hub to report sensor activations.  I could have done that with Alexa but just wanted to play around with it.

One unique product is their Smart power strip with four individually-controlled 120V outlets and four controlled USB outlets.  However none of their switches or modules do dimming.

I like that the app reports battery life and RF signal strength for each unit and reports an error if the batteries are removed.

As I mentioned in my first post above, I'm using the Yolink sensors to trigger X10 commands by having Alexa talk to the Smartenit P2/G2.

They have an active developers forum and they are looking to be integrated with Home Assistant shortly.

Customer Service has been very responsive for the few times I've emailed questions.

There's a Friends & Family promo going on (don't know for how long) that gives new customers 25% off the speaker hub starter kits.  The code is SHKF&F25OFF at Yosmart.com

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.