Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A - No RF if plugged in to outlet?  (Read 4509 times)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
CM15A - No RF if plugged in to outlet?
« on: April 03, 2016, 04:55:06 AM »

B:(
I have 2 CM15A's - Neither receives/records any RF activity when they are plugged into a wall outlet.  Unplugged and running on battery and they're fine.  Tried multiple outlets.

Thanks!

PJ
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15A - No RF if plugged in to outlet?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 06:57:44 AM »

You may want to try connecting the CM15A to the AC power through a X10 power line filter as a test.
Long shot but maybe some new strong power line noise is swamping the microcontroller and it is too  busy trying to decode a bogus noise signal.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:15:33 AM »

Unplugged and running on battery and they're fine.

Exactly, what do you mean by "running on battery"?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 07:01:28 AM »

Sorry, I had the postings listing order reversed & notification isn't working.

I tried a filter, but I'm going to try that again.

Running on battery means the CM15 is not plugged into 120V outlet, it's not plugged into the wall.  Of course it can't send any powerline commands, but it CAN and does receive RF.

Dave
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

spud99

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 08:25:23 PM »

I have a CM15A with the exact same symptoms.  My x10 has always worked well, and I have motion sensors in the basement so when someone is carrying a load of laundry down they don't have to try to hit light switches too.  Lately tho, the motion sensors stopped working.  I noticed in testing the the CM15A seemed to not be responding to the motion sensors.  I even tried some new motion sensors but same thing - no response - nothing listed in activity log.  Then I came across this post. so thought I'd try it.  I put new batteries in the unit, and tried the motion sensor (CM15A still plugged in to AC power) - no response.  I then unplugged the CM15A from AC power, running just on batteries, and now it is seeing the signals from the motion sensors just fine!!!  Shows up in the activity logs and everything!!!   As soon as I plug the CM15A back into the AC outlet it stops seeing signals from the motion sensors again.

Everything else works, it just doesn't want to receive signals from the motion sensors anymore.  I can still control all lights from the PC software when plugged into the CM15A via USB.

I am trying to justify the cost of buying another $100 unit just for the motion sensors....   might just stick with this for now and see if anyone can come up with a fix?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 07:31:55 AM »

It's probably worth trying Brian H's filter idea before buying a new CM15A. There might even be some low amplitude RF noise on the powerline. X10 RF receivers tend to have a very wide bandwidth. See...https://www.laser.com/dhouston/noise.html
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 09:22:47 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.