Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HomeGenie not recognizing X10 On/Off from X10 Switches  (Read 4130 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
HomeGenie not recognizing X10 On/Off from X10 Switches
« on: April 05, 2022, 06:39:41 AM »

Good morning,

I am having what I think is a relatively new issue, or its been happening for awhile and I have not noticed it.

I have a PiX10Hub running HomeGenie, the setup has been the same for over a year (maybe 2).  I have several x10 switches in my home, one is for my garage lights - specifically so I can have it use the SmartLights program and turn them off after a time delay.

I noticed lately this has not been working.  After doing some checking within HomeGenie, I noticed that when I turn on the Garage Light switch manually it does not get reflected in HomeGenie, hence the trigger for Smart Lights is not starting to turn off the lights after a delay.  I tried a few of the other X10 switches I have and those also are not being updated in X10 when I manually turn them on.

I also use a Smartenit (this allows Alexa to be used with HomeGenie / X10).  This does update based on manually turning on / off the lights.  I thought maybe this was intercepting the signal or something and preventing HomeGenie from getting them but I disconnected (unplugged the USB) but it did not change what HomeGenie was seeing.  Under Configuation, this is what I have for my X10 settings (which as far as I recall is unchanged).

I am pretty sure this used to work - where HomeGenie would recognize when I manually turned on an X10 switch.  Any ideas why this would not be working now?

soxfan1966

Re: HomeGenie not recognizing X10 On/Off from X10 Switches
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 07:00:32 AM »

Looking at the HomeGenie Event Log, looks like its seeing the Off command but not the On Command - A5 is my Garage Light

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 09:17:08 AM »

What switches are you using?
Most don't have two-way reporting.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

soxfan1966

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »

What switches are you using?
Most don't have two-way reporting.

I'm not sure of the specific model of the switch (I would need to take one of the switch covers off to see that) but its the type that have the small led light that shows if its on or off.

And HomeGenie is getting the off reported, just seems like its not getting the on for some reason (see one of the images I posted of the activity log)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 04:06:37 PM »

Have you tried a different browser just to see if the results are the same.

When was the last time you preformed an OS update. Just to rule out a failing SD card you could try disabling the logging in HG. What has known to work is a backup up of your HG configuration and a fresh install of OS and HG and a HG restore. While doing that you could take advantage of the next version of Raspbian, Bullseye. For simple copy/paste instructions see here. This will get you up and running in HG in about 40 minutes. https://homegenie.club/t/homegenie-with-bullseye/712/25

In the meantime just to be clear. What X10 controller is attached to your board. What version of the RPI are you using. What Raspbian version is installed and finally what version of HG is installed.

soxfan1966

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 04:17:33 PM »

Thanks for the detailed info - just to clarify, everything was working find until recently.  The only thing that seems amiss is the smart lights but because HG does not seem to be catching the x10 on signal.

I update Raspbian on the pi every few months - current version not upgrading, and HG is the latest available version.

I'll have to play around with it more when I get some time, just seems odd it started happening.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 07:10:19 PM »

What X10 controller are you using attached to the Raspberry Pi.

soxfan1966

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 09:54:46 PM »

What X10 controller are you using attached to the Raspberry Pi.
[/quote

It's a CM15A

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.