Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xps2 switch clicks rapidly when pressed manually  (Read 3198 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Xps2 switch clicks rapidly when pressed manually
« on: July 17, 2022, 02:17:17 PM »

Hello
I came home to learn that my pool pump hadn't come on in 2 days.
I walked over to the switch, pressed the button, and I hear a rapid click click. I reset the breaker, but the rapid clicking continues.
Obviously, it doesn't respond to any commands from the mt14a or the remote conteoller. That switch controls the pool pump and the salt water generator, and has done so for almost 2 years.
Is my xps2 fried?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 03:24:27 PM by nabril15 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Xps2 switch clicks rapidly when pressed manually
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 05:58:27 PM »

Can you disconnect the load and then see if it still just clicks rapidly and does not respond?
Since it did work for a few years and now clicks rapidly and does not receive X10 commands. It is very possible it has a failed power supply.
Any new electronic devices in the home or a moved existing electronics device in the home? That could mes things up? The X10 commands have to be on both phases a s the XPS2 is 220V with no Neutral feed. So new or changes on either phase could possibility effect things.

nabril15

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »

Can you disconnect the load and then see if it still just clicks rapidly and does not respond?
Since it did work for a few years and now clicks rapidly and does not receive X10 commands. It is very possible it has a failed power supply.
Any new electronic devices in the home or a moved existing electronics device in the home? That could mes things up? The X10 commands have to be on both phases a s the XPS2 is 220V with no Neutral feed. So new or changes on either phase could possibility effect things.

thank you Brian. I will try that, I guess.
No, there aren't new devices other than the visiting son and his apple laptop. Could that have caused signal mayhem?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 07:49:33 PM »

Long shot.
Unplug the Apples power supply and see if anything changes.
Rapid pulsing could also be the sensor for am I on or off being flaky or the internal switch has bad contacts.
Though if the switch or sensor was a problem. It would still try remotely and act like the local switch.

nabril15

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 09:08:19 AM »

Brian
Here is the picture that I tried to send in the PM, but it didn't work.
If that panel stays horizontal, the xps2 works fine. As soon as it hits some verticality, the power cuts out.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 10:59:04 AM »

If it were me, I'd remove the module and test it outside the panel since you already have easy access to it.  I like to use a spare appliance pigtail (end of an extension cord if you don't have one) and wire nut the module to that.  Then you can easily test without having to worry about the wiring in the box.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 11:23:46 AM »

Since it seems to be dependent on the position of the panel, it could be just a loose connection on one of the wires.  I'd check all the wire nuts for a poor connection or broken wire.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

nabril15

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 11:30:18 AM »

Thanks jeff and benk
Yes, I checked the wire connections and wire nuts, and they're fine. As soon as I lifted the metal door/panel to about 10 degrees, the power cut out. Maybe the internal connections of the wires inside the xps2 have come loose, a d those 10 degrees affect it.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 11:35:23 AM »

Loose wire nuts was one of my thoughts too which would be addressed by removing the unit for testing. And if there is something wonky with the module it might become ov
Obvious when you can better manipulate it without the panel and other wires causing restrictions. The module should be held in with 2 screws and 3 wire nuts so a quick and easy thing to test.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 12:15:59 PM »

If it's a loose connection inside the module it should be easy to fix.  But after years sitting in the box I'd try new wire nuts after cutting off the wire ends and stripping new ends.  You might want to try Wago connectors instead.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XGYXVXR/?coliid=I2Z9LKGDWURZNV&colid=2JNLGTSQH0PVF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 06:43:57 AM »

If it works similar to the SR227.
A common problem was a broken plastic switch activator piece. Not easily fixed.
If it is a pitted and burned set of contacts. I have seen some reports of users burnishing and cleaning the contacts.
I have seen reports of both issues causing the relay to chatter as it can't find out if it is On or Off and tries a few timed then gives up.
We should know more when the user reports the findings.
I too have used the WAGO Lever Nuts on test cords and electrical wiring. A very good product. I have the slightly larger 222 versions.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 06:52:22 AM by Brian H »

brobin

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 11:14:39 AM »

I've had some of the older ones do the chatter when the internal cog failed. Because the OP reports that it works when tilted it sounds more like a bad connection. Looking forward to hearing his results.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 05:47:24 PM »

In the OP it did indelicate it was a rapid chatter.
Though it changing with position did indicate a different thing.
Hope we get a clarification with more tests or a replacement unit.

nabril15

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 09:37:02 PM »

Hello all and thank you for the insight and suggestions.

I took the panel apart, and had a multimeter ready to measure the voltage on the load wires. Unlike last time, the switch twitched rapidly regardless of its orientation.
I declared the xps2 dead, and replaced it.

I attempted to take apart the old switch, but the 4 wires make it hard to remove the cover, and both sides of the plastic were slightly cracked. So I abandoned it.

brobin

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 11:56:34 PM »

Glad you're back in business with a new one. 
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.