Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proximity Sensor  (Read 1654 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Proximity Sensor
« on: July 04, 2022, 03:47:39 PM »

This doesn't directly apply to X10, but could be used as an trigger input for X10 automation.  I had developed a proximity sensor for another application, but it might be useful for home automation too.  It uses an ultrasonic rangefinder to turn on a relay when an object is within an adjustable range of 5 to 400 centimeters.  Once the triggering object leaves, the relay will remain on for and adjustable delay of 0.2 to 100 seconds.  Power is 7 to 20VAC or 10 to 24VDC.  If interested:  https://jvde.us/rr/ultrasonic_ranger.pdf

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
Re: Proximity Sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 02:14:01 PM »

That's fantastic, Jeff!  I had looked at implementing ultrasonic sensors for occupancy detection for another project but came to the conclusion that the sound may disturb my cats and even me (I have especially keen high-frequency hearing).  Could you share specifications of the emitter, or a part number that I could use to look up a datasheet?

Also, I eventually found pricing for this on your Web site, but the route to get there (Model Railroad -> Model Railroad Electronic E-Unit (EEU) -> Ordering) was not intuitive at all.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 04:59:04 PM »

That's fantastic, Jeff!  I had looked at implementing ultrasonic sensors for occupancy detection for another project but came to the conclusion that the sound may disturb my cats and even me (I have especially keen high-frequency hearing).  Could you share specifications of the emitter, or a part number that I could use to look up a datasheet?

Ultrasonic Ranging Module HC-SR04  It uses an 8-cycle burst at 40KHz, but our cats seem to be oblivious to it.   

Also, I eventually found pricing for this on your Web site, but the route to get there (Model Railroad -> Model Railroad Electronic E-Unit (EEU) -> Ordering) was not intuitive at all.

I'm working on it.  I added the XTB-XM today.

Update - it's in the pull-down menu now.  (The promo price is just for the first batch to get them out there.)

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 06:56:30 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 07:32:49 AM »

The Ultrasonic Ranging Module HC-SR04 has also been used in some Arduino projects.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 04:13:47 PM »

I am also recalling now that my planned use case was to mount one or two ultrasonic sensors on each side of a door frame to determine direction of travel and number of occupants passing through.  A further requirement was to detect objects at multiple ranges so that I can distinguish pets and children from adults and ignore an actual door swinging open or closed in close range.

Your kit design precludes discrimination among multiple distance ranges to a detected object, since only a single range can be set for the trigger.  But I'm sure I can think of some other use case in which it would be useful to me.  One of the best things about these sensors is their cost.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.