Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PC with Win 10 - CM15 USB coms.  (Read 1175 times)

LAF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PC with Win 10 - CM15 USB coms.
« on: November 22, 2023, 07:07:35 PM »

Whenever I place my PC in sleep or hibernate (which I often do for energy conservation), AHP loses communication with the PC (Tools/Download Timers and Macros etc grayed out).  The only way I know of to recover is to close & relaunch AHP.

Is there any other, more convenient way of doing that or, preventing it in the first place?

Also, was perusing the old posts (circa 1973) and read a post by Tuiceman recommending moving the AHP folder from the C:/Program Files (x86) to the root directory (by simple cut & paste) to improve AHP reliability.  Is that still a thing I should be looking at doing?  I ask in particular as I have recently had some timer glitches (triggering when they should not).

Should the AHP files in C:/ProgramData also be moved?

Thanks all for any help...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: PC with Win 10 - CM15 USB coms.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 06:55:15 AM »

It has been a while since I've used AHP. I I remember the reason for moving AHP was due to security measures microsoft added to the program files folders. These changes were designed to prevent unauthorized changes to files which affected timers and macros..  These measures don't affect drivers due to how they are installed and updated.
You shouldn't  move the x10 folder  in programdata as AHP is coded to look for the drivers in thi specified location.
 AHP was created to run originaly in Windows 98 when security was not as much of a concern with Microsoft.
 I and others discovered moving AHP seemed to solve issues with timers and macros.

Try the move for your self. You can always move AHP back.  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 11:07:57 AM »

Thank you!  Moved it and all seems well.  Didn't even have to change the desktop icon path (which seems weird as the path still refers to the C:/Program Files(x86)/ActiveHome Pro folder).

Any thoughts on why AHP loses the connection on sleep or hibernate?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 11:15:23 AM by LAF »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 06:48:55 PM »

I never used sleep or hibernate so never had that issue.
Are you leaving AHP open when the pc hibernate or sleeps?
I seem to remember post on this but don't recall the reasoning or possible cure. A search may reveal the post.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 06:59:28 PM »

Yes, AHP is open on sleep or hibernate and remains open on wakeup (but USB connection is lost).  Unplugging/plugging the USB cable does not help.

That old post was probably from myself as, IIRC, I posted about the issue a few years ago.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 02:40:01 PM »

That old post was probably from myself as, IIRC, I posted about the issue a few years ago.
That is possible. I know there were issues with sleep or hibernate  and some USB cards and Windows. I always closed AHP when not in use as it didn't need to be open for timers and macros I had to work. I only opened AHP to check or edit things. Have to tested to see if the issue happens when AHP is closed prior to hibernation or sleep?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 04:26:58 PM »

Have to tested to see if the issue happens when AHP is closed prior to hibernation or sleep?

Not sure what that would show as if AHP is closed b/f hibernation or sleep, it would have to be re-launched after waking (which is how I recover the connection in any case).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 05:02:58 PM »

If AHP is closed prior to sleep it would save the step of having to stop and restart. You really don't need AHP running in the background anyways unless you have macros that run from the PC and if that's the case they probably fail in sleep or hibernation. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 05:16:23 PM »

If you realy need to have AHP running you could setup a task to force close AHP on hibernation  and another to auto start it on wakeup. Google can help with this. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 08:55:53 PM »

If you really need to have AHP running you could setup a task to force close AHP on hibernation  and another to auto start it on wakeup. Google can help with this. >!

You are correct - I don't need to keep AHP running, it's just a convenience thing saving a bit of effort (I'm also interested in just why the connection drop happens).

Thanks for the tip on auto close and start - I think I'll look into it. :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 11:38:17 PM by LAF »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.